Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #181

gearin, cables, and other stuff.

From reading forum threads on Hawks, I get the feeling that newer riders don't really understand the benefits of getting their cable runs as "sweet" as possible. Let's start with the clutch first. The less tight bends you have, the better it will work. A six inch longer cable can make a world of difference. There are cable "kits" that allow you to make your own cables up. This is a good skill to have, and once you have made one succesfully, it's like riding a bicycle - once you done it, you never really forget how to do it. When you adjust the clutch, start at the transmission end. It is imperitive to have some slack (about 1/8th inch) here to prevent clutch slippage, which leads to clutch over heating, which leads to clutch plate warpage, and that means having to rebuild the clutch. Then, up at the handle bar end is where you fine tune the clutch adjustment to get that 1/8th inch of free play at the handle bar clutch lever. The throttle cable, same story. Easy runs. No drag in the cable. Next to no slack in this cable, though. Just a leetle bit, Senor. In the Eastern USA, utterly flawless throttle control is directly related to rider satisfaction. And so is flawless carburetor tuning, because you need a perfectly smooth flow of power right from idle on up. Out west, people usually ride off road faster, because the terrain is so different, so low end throttle response is not so important.

Now gearing. If there is anything harder to gear than a dual-sport, I don't know what it is. You can either gear it for the highway, or the woods, or try to get both at the same time, but good luck on that. One way that I suggest is to carry a spare front sprocket with you and change gearing when you get to the woods. A 17-50 rear combo is not the ultimate, but maybe you can live with it. A 13 or 14-50 combo will work ok in the woods. Make up your chain and extra links of chain to make the switch. Be sure to take two extra master links, and a cranked link with you so you don't have to change the rear wheel position on the swing arm.

Old 11-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post

Now gearing. If there is anything harder to gear than a dual-sport, I don't know what it is. You can either gear it for the highway, or the woods, or try to get both at the same time, but good luck on that. One way that I suggest is to carry a spare front sprocket with you and change gearing when you get to the woods. A 17-50 rear combo is not the ultimate, but maybe you can live with it. A 13 or 14-50 combo will work ok in the woods. Make up your chain and extra links of chain to make the switch. Be sure to take two extra master links, and a cranked link with you so you don't have to change the rear wheel position on the swing arm.

Or buy a bike with a wide ratio 6 speed box
and the gearing issue goes away...
They need to copy the TTR250 or DRZ250 motor
both super reliable , low maintance motors that yer
can reliy on to always get yer back home...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Last edited by pete; 11-11-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Or buy a bike with a wide ratio 6 speed box
and the gearing issue goes away...
They need to copy the TTR250 or DRZ250 motor
both super reliable , low maintance motors that yer
can reliy on to always get yer back home...

Even being able to change the transmission gears that are in the Hawk to a wide ratio 5 speed would be a big plus.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #184

Quote:
Even being able to change the transmission gears that are in the Hawk to a wide ratio 5 speed would be a big plus.
I think it would already have a wide ratio 5 speed....theres no reason to put a close ratio
in a duel sport & the motors they are copyed from have a wide ratio...
wide ratio is the norm for bikes used on the road...
just needs that 6th gear slightly higher..
The only duel sport bike I can think off with a close ratio box is
the Suzuki DRZ400.... but it was designed as a dirt only bike
then it was made road legal 2 years after it was first put in
production....And it's been it's main issue ever since for road use..
and it's a 5 speed... It's a good bike... but it could of been a great bike
with the right gear box..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 11-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I think it would already have a wide ratio 5 speed....theres no reason to put a close ratio
in a duel sport & the motors they are copyed from have a wide ratio...
wide ratio is the norm for bikes used on the road...
just needs that 6th gear slightly higher..
The only duel sport bike I can think off with a close ratio box is
the Suzuki DRZ400.... but it was designed as a dirt only bike
then it was made road legal 2 years after it was first put in
production....And it's been it's main issue ever since for road use..
and it's a 5 speed... It's a good bike... but it could of been a great bike
with the right gear box..

The internal ratios of the Hawk gear box are,
1 2.909
2 1.867
3 1.389
4 1.150
5 0.9545

Primary reduction is 3.33 to one.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
It's plastic and that is how it is molded. It doesn't look so bad from the top.
Guys, just curious about this as I've seen this on a lot of Hawks. Just by looking at it, it looks like the intake tube should be pushed into the airbox so that groove mates up to the plastic of the airbox allowing a flange on both the inside and outside. Is that not possible with the way it's designed or the length of the tube?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone with a Hawk has tried to replace the paper air filter with some of the flat dual stage foam that Uni makes? Might have to cobble some kind of screen/frame to support it, but seems like it might be a good way to have the air filter be reuseable.

I'm interested in a pair of Hawks for my son and I, but the lack of response I hear from the distributor regarding parts is a bit of a red flag. I get that most online parts suppliers are not going to have any parts for this bike, but there should absolutely be a source from the distributor or manufacturer without buying 1000 widgets. Things like gaskets and seals etc are things they have on hand to build the bikes in the first place. If not, perhaps CSC has some parts that will directly replace from the TT250. They seem to have done a good job on their site listing parts and prices that they offer.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #187

To OUTERLIMITS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTERLIMITS View Post
Guys, just curious about this as I've seen this on a lot of Hawks. Just by looking at it, it looks like the intake tube should be pushed into the airbox so that groove mates up to the plastic of the airbox allowing a flange on both the inside and outside. Is that not possible with the way it's designed or the length of the tube?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone with a Hawk has tried to replace the paper air filter with some of the flat dual stage foam that Uni makes? Might have to cobble some kind of screen/frame to support it, but seems like it might be a good way to have the air filter be reuseable.

I'm interested in a pair of Hawks for my son and I, but the lack of response I hear from the distributor regarding parts is a bit of a red flag. I get that most online parts suppliers are not going to have any parts for this bike, but there should absolutely be a source from the distributor or manufacturer without buying 1000 widgets. Things like gaskets and seals etc are things they have on hand to build the bikes in the first place. If not, perhaps CSC has some parts that will directly replace from the TT250. They seem to have done a good job on their site listing parts and prices that they offer.
I enquired of APSC, 234 North Maple Street, Adamsville Tennesee, 38310, about parts for Hawks. The salesman told me they have most of the replacement parts for the Hawk, and the ones they don't have they can get, directly from China. If you want to ask them about a specific part, or are interested in a motorcycle, try calling them at 731 632 3222. I would personally buy from them, as I want to support a dealer who carries parts. Might cost a $100.00 more to buy from them, but parts availability makes it a no brainer for me.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #188

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTERLIMITS View Post

Getting parts for any china bikes is the big problem. Of all the china bikes out now I would think the Hawk will be the easiest to get parts for. The importers (RPS) rep for the Hawk (Adam Rinkleff) is a member here and he is always ready to help Hawk owners get parts. I think you and your son will be fine. If you want to plate them for road use that might be a problem where you live. I would check with your DMV to see if you can register a Hawk in your state before you buy if you intend to road ride. If you want to ride on the road a better bet would be a Bashan bike as there DOT approved. A Brozz would be my first choice or if not that a Storm.

Last edited by Merlin; 11-13-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #189

Quote:
I enquired of APSC, 234 North Maple Street, Adamsville Tennesee, 38310, about parts for Hawks. The salesman told me they have most of the replacement parts for the Hawk, and the ones they don't have they can get, directly from China. If you want to ask them about a specific part, or are interested in a motorcycle, try calling them at 731 632 3222. I would personally buy from them, as I want to support a dealer who carries parts. Might cost a $100.00 more to buy from them, but parts availability makes it a no brainer for me.
Could not agree more. I think they also have a good deal on a two bike deal. I just don't want to have to go to some machine shop to have custom bearings made, seals, etc.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Getting parts for any china bikes is the big problem. Of all the china bikes out now I would think the Hawk will be the easiest to get parts for. The importers (RPS) rep for the Hawk (Adam Rinkleff) is a member here and he is always ready to help Hawk owners get parts. I think you and your son will be fine. If you want to plate them for road use that might be a problem where you live. I would check with your DMV to see if you can register a Hawk in your state before you buy if you intend to road ride. If you want to ride on the road a better bet would be a Bashan bike as there DOT approved. A Brozz would be my first choice or if not that a Storm.
It does seem to be the most prevalent bike out there right now, which is a good sign. Ours would be registered in AZ, via my brother. The good thing is that out where he lives if it can roll, it can be registered for street. Where I am in Ca, not so much.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:55 PM   #191

No worries

http://therps.net/DB-Hawk.html
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
OK, RPS has parts available. I may have to take out a mortgage on some prime Mississippi bottom land in order to buy very many.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #193

Quote:
OK, RPS has parts available. I may have to take out a mortgage on some prime Mississippi bottom land in order to buy very many.
These parts may be a good business to get into, or at least stock up on. the new prez might just make prices skyrocket

Old 11-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #194

OK, since we are totally going off through rails here's one
http://www.kiiitv.com/news/local/spe...foot/351915533

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #195

My cousin, Marron (brown) Grande from Bee County Texas

Rojo