Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #1

Ignoring My Hawk

Hi...my name is Dave and I've been ignoring my hawk too much.

it's been about a month since I last rode it. perhaps slightly longer. I usually like to give all the bikes at least a LITTLE exercise more often than this. However, I pulled a dummy move today and just had to share so you could all shake your head along with me.

I started the hawk up in the garage. took a while for it to turn over since the carb was likely dry. luckly I keep the battery on a tender, so more than enough juice to crank it until it started up.

Ahhh....the purr of the 230cc single.....music!

Started down the street to get it warmed up and running. it was sputtering a bit. my thoughts went to a dirty carb. the farther down the street i went, the worse it would run, particularly under heavier throttle.

decided to turn around and spend a little time field stripping the carb and cleaning it up. that should do the trick, right? took the 10mm nut off the carb on the right side of the bike. (after removing the cover on that side). went around the the left side of the bike, removed the cover and reached in to start taking off the nut on the left side.

Dang....choke lever is in the way. wait....choke lever? AH SH*T! I FORGOT TO TURN OFF THE CHOKE!

choke turned off....started the bike....down the street I went ripping and roaring....

ok....flame suit on. fire away!

Old 11-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
Hi...my name is Dave and I've been ignoring my hawk too much.

it's been about a month since I last rode it. perhaps slightly longer. I usually like to give all the bikes at least a LITTLE exercise more often than this. However, I pulled a dummy move today and just had to share so you could all shake your head along with me.

I started the hawk up in the garage. took a while for it to turn over since the carb was likely dry. luckly I keep the battery on a tender, so more than enough juice to crank it until it started up.

Ahhh....the purr of the 230cc single.....music!

Started down the street to get it warmed up and running. it was sputtering a bit. my thoughts went to a dirty carb. the farther down the street i went, the worse it would run, particularly under heavier throttle.

decided to turn around and spend a little time field stripping the carb and cleaning it up. that should do the trick, right? took the 10mm nut off the carb on the right side of the bike. (after removing the cover on that side). went around the the left side of the bike, removed the cover and reached in to start taking off the nut on the left side.

Dang....choke lever is in the way. wait....choke lever? AH SH*T! I FORGOT TO TURN OFF THE CHOKE!

choke turned off....started the bike....down the street I went ripping and roaring....

That will teach you not to ignore the hawk. That reminds me I need to take a ride this afternoon.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

If the Hawk is like the TT250, don't you just love how they buried that choke lever way up in there so you have to pass a proctology exam to be able to locate it quickly?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-18-2016, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
If the Hawk is like the TT250, don't you just love how they buried that choke lever way up in there so you have to pass a proctology exam to be able to locate it quickly?
you know, I never really thought of it that way. thanks for the visual!

Old 11-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #5

Haha, now cough!

This is reported at about 1 per every couple of months (for those who will admit it).

Fuel shut off is another one. Been there done that
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-18-2016, 08:15 PM   #6

I'm guilty of the kill switch.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
I'm guilty of the kill switch.
I rarely use the kill switch to shut any of the bikes off. the occasional time that I do, I'm guilty of this right along with you! I've learned not to crank too long before checking it.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post

I have the magician250, rigged up and Installed a choke cable, now life is wonderful!

Old 11-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcgee View Post
I have the magician250, rigged up and Installed a choke cable, now life is wonderful!
You can find on ebay and other places the English style handlebar choke controls, using a cable like a throttle or clutch cable. It is easy to rig, but be sure to have a strong enough spring on the carb to make sure the choke opens, and stays open.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #10

https://www.amazon.com/GOOFIT-30-12-...ds=choke+cable

Is the one I used, no spring, just a washer on the top motor mount to hold the cable at the carb and an old flat wrench from a circular saw to hold the pull knob end. ill post all the pictures soon.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #11

On my last ride of the year, I made it exactly one block before running out of fuel. I'm just grateful that I didn't have to push it any farther.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer