Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #1

RPS Hawk 250 clutch issues.

Hey everyone, I searched the forum and YouTube and tried quite a bit of different things to troubleshoot my problem, though admittedly the Hawk 250 is my first bike so I dont know much.

Ive ridden my bike (on city streets only), about 5 times, less than 40 hours. Recently when I was riding it became hard to shift gears at all, before the bike got stuck in first gear and I had to ride it home. Eventually after trying again the bike was stuck in neutral.

-I have never dropped it, though I did set it on the left side before to pour out old gas.

-Upon purchase of the bike I installed a new clutch pedal that sat very low (I didn't know any better), and shifted with a low clutch pedal every time I rode. Not sure if that affects anything just adding it in case.

I looked at a YouTube tutorial ( ) that diagnosed a hawk 250 clutch issue, but their solution was not the same as what I needed. I still followed the tutorial and removed about as much as they did, and after reassembly I can now shift into first and neutral, but nothing higher.

I attached a video that shows the current state of what happens when I use my hand to shift with the clutch pedal while simultaneously moving the wheel. ( https://youtube.com/shorts/ZPWuhnB1FHQ?feature=share ) Does anyone see what could be wrong with my clutch or have any clue what I should do to fix it?

Thank you very much for your time.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:44 PM   #2

Make sure your shift lever is not hitting the case. This will keep it from shifting up to the next gear. It may just be the video quality but looking at you video it looks like part of the shift star is missing.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-10-2022, 12:46 PM   #3

Maybe the cable stretched. Have you tried adjusting that? It might be adjustable at both ends, but it is easiest to adjust it at the lever. The disk shaped knurled lock needs to be loosened, then unscrew the outer one. This makes the shroud on the cable longer, and the lever pulls the cable more.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:53 PM   #4

I was confused with the term "clutch pedal". I thought you meant clutch lever (left hand side of handlebars). The lever in front of the left foot is a gear shift.

If the gear shift is free to move up or down, then with engine OFF, try gently rocking the bike forward, and back with some pressure on the shift lever(shouldn't take amuch pressure). It will shift when things line up inside the engine case.

If this works, I still think your clutch cable might just be too loose.

In your video, I see the detent getting pinned by the sprung piece. It seems to be in the right position. Try gently rolling the rear tire while trying to shift it. No clutch is needed for this when the engine is off. If the dogs in the gears on the countershaft/driveshaft are not lined up, it won't shift. Normally the wheel it turning and the engine is turning while shifting. Rolling the rear wheel will allow the dogs to align, so it can shift.

Last edited by Thumper; 05-10-2022 at 02:20 PM.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Make sure your shift lever is not hitting the case. This will keep it from shifting up to the next gear. It may just be the video quality but looking at you video it looks like part of the shift star is missing.
Right now I'm hand shifting it while rocking the bike, and it doesn't want to engage the shift Star correctly for some reason. I am not seeing any portion of the Star that looks broken?

Old 05-10-2022, 02:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I was confused with the term "clutch pedal". I thought you meant clutch lever (left hand side of handlebars). The lever in front of the left foot is a gear shift.

If the gear shift is free to move up or down, then with engine OFF, try gently rocking the bike forward, and back with some pressure on the shift lever(shouldn't take amuch pressure). It will shift when things line up inside the engine case.

If this works, I still think your clutch cable might just be too loose.

In your video, I see the detent getting pinned by the sprung piece. It seems to be in the right position. Try gently rolling the rear tire while trying to shift it. No clutch is needed for this when the engine is off. If the dogs in the gears on the countershaft/driveshaft are not lined up, it won't shift. Normally the wheel it turning and the engine is turning while shifting. Rolling the rear wheel will allow the dogs to align, so it can shift.
Thanks for that explanation, now I see why the bike rocking matters. (https://youtube.com/shorts/ny10XBHxMCo?feature=share ) that video is where the bike is at after being able to rock it into first, but as the wheel locks up I cant rock it anymore and it only shifts back down to neutral?

Old 05-10-2022, 05:29 PM   #7

You are clearly on the right track. I see that sprung lever dropping into place into the detent, and not sure why the loop thing that "grabs the star shaped extensions" isn't turning it. Can you use pliers or something to see if you can rotate the thing directly? Like, place the two jaws on either side of it and just twist? While rolling the rear wheel, of course...Just trying to think of a way to bypass the gear shifter controller that turns roller that controls the dogs to shift it.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
You are clearly on the right track. I see that sprung lever dropping into place into the detent, and not sure why the loop thing that "grabs the star shaped extensions" isn't turning it. Can you use pliers or something to see if you can rotate the thing directly? Like, place the two jaws on either side of it and just twist? While rolling the rear wheel, of course...Just trying to think of a way to bypass the gear shifter controller that turns roller that controls the dogs to shift it.
Oddly enough Idk what is all that different, but it is now shifting fine from neutral to third gear, but won't shift past third unless the bike is being rocked? Is that strange to only be necessary for 4th and 5th?

Old 05-10-2022, 09:58 PM   #9

I would have used threadlock on the bolt on the shifter before tightening it (Star-shaped device that the gear shift interacts with).

You solved the problem, but it may come back!

BUT it looks like you got a NEW bike with LOTS of extras. DEAL!!!!!

Old 05-11-2022, 10:54 AM   #10

Probably your cluth cabe to loose or tight i couldnt go from 1 to N until i set it right, dont remember if it was too lose or tight tho on mine

Old 05-13-2022, 10:27 AM   #11

Nice video! Thanks

I found this cool video on youtube showing how those dogs on the splined gears on the countershaft and driven shaft engage the freewheeling gears as they slide on the shafts. This shows why sometimes you need to rotate those shafts (turn the rear wheel) to allow those dogs to line up!

Tags
250, clutch issues, rps hawk