Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues

Old 01-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #1

250cc Hawk, Georgia Title & Registration

Just posting here to chronicle my success with titling a 250cc Hawk in Georgia. Reply with questions, and I'll do my best to answer them here. To clarify, these directions are to have it fully titled and registered and a highway-approved vehicle, not as a moped or motor-scooter. That said, I HIGHLY recommend you perform some extra work to ensure your bike can travel safely at highway speeds (I'll post in a separate thread soon for that). And a warning so you don't waste your time: if you are unable to obtain a valid Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) from the seller, you WILL NOT be able to title this bike in Georgia. So don't buy it from a guy on craigslist as a regular dirt bike and expect to have it titled.

I bought my Hawk last winter. It was crate-shipped to my house. The paperwork that came with it included a blank MCO, which isn't any good. I requested a new MCO from their site and had one that was signed from them to me within a few days. I had a local Harley dealership perform a state inspection, which it passed (which isn't necessary in Georgia).

Fast forward, just moved back down to Georgia. Printed a form "T22-B" from google and went to my local police station where they filled it out, no problems. To lessen confusion, form T22-B will most likely just be referred to as a "VIN verification" by your local police station. He looked at the bike and signed the form.

Took the signed T-22B form to my local county tag office, along with the MCO, the invoice that shipped with the bike (which was used as the bill of sale), and my Georgia driver's license. I paid about $250 to have it titled and a tag applied for, and that's that. The total fees would have been less, but I was charged a late filing fee. The bike should be listed in the DOR systems as CHQG for the make.

Here's a summary of what you'll need to title this bike in Georgia, in the rough order you should obtain them:
1) A filled Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin from the seller, with your information on the back.
2) A T22-B form, signed by a regular uniformed Georgia police officer. They will need to physically see the bike, and YOU should provide a copy of the form (Google it). They should be able to have an officer come to your house if you call them. Needless to say, the bike should be in good working order before then.
3) The invoice or receipt of payment for the vehicle, which will be used as the Bill of Sale.
4) Valid Georgia driver's license.

Last edited by Gunrunner Doc; 03-27-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #2

Congrats on titling the bike! Is the form T22-B a form that anyone who buys a bike directly as a mail-order bike needed, or was this because you brought in the bikes from N. Carolina? It seems like you did start from 'scratch' as you wrote that you took in this form, the MCO, and the bill of sale. In other words, is Georgia once again a place you can successfully register a Hawk, or was it the route via NC? Curious for those who had no luck in Georgia, or those wanting one.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #3

You might have nailed it on the proverbial head with your mentioning of 'county.' Someone from Georgia a while back mentioned that you have to register it in the county you reside in. This was the thread from member Jmcgee, but he does not indicate where in Georgia he lives. I have not seen him post lately, so I have a feeling he gave up on his Hawk.
http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17545

Thanks for clearing up the confusion, but I did have a feeling that you had to go through the same process whether you brought in the unregistered/untitled bike from NC or mail-ordered it.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #4

Culcune, that was my post about having to go to the DMV in your county. Here's the link to the (very long and drawn out) post about my DMV adventures:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=17627&page=9

Looking back, now that I have the tag for the bike and have been out and enjoying it, I would absolutely do it all over again to get another one.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #5

Did your hawk have a nhtsa sticker? All I see is a barcode with the vin on mine. I’m trying to register in Cherokee County.

Thanks
Nick

Old 10-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #6

Nick, these bike don't have a NHTSA sticker as original equipment, if you take my meaning. There's info in my thread about how to make sure the bike is compliant before you take it for the VIN verification. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to walk you through the process. I'll be in GA for another couple of days, then I'm moving out to Phoenix. I'll post about transferring the tag when I get out there and get the wheels turning on that.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-23-2018, 11:36 PM   #7

Any luck in cherokee county?

Old 05-23-2018, 11:37 PM   #8

My brand new hawk is arriving tomorrow morning and i just stumbled across the NHTSA sticker issue and could really use an update\

Old 05-24-2018, 07:51 AM   #9

Read through this thread. Starts at post #37. http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=17627&page=7
2020 Venom Ghost 250
105main,40pilot,17/36 sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9
2016 Black Hawk 250
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #10

Elijah, have you had a chance to review the challenges I had with the Carroll County DMV back in Georgia? Has your bike arrived yet? Feel free to reach out and I can walk you through the process of what I did, and maybe it will work for you.

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #11

Thanks JerryHawk250 and Emerikol. I've read all the articles on her for the state of GA. And I've looked read up on all of the work arounds. And it is a county by county issue here in GA for sure. I was hoping Nicksalot could have shed some light on cherokee county for me. is the tag still 34$? i know that was back in 2016 but his website is saying above a thousand a lot.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #12

And I ordered from 360 powersports so hopefully I don't have any issues from that end.
Will update on that front.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #13

The bike came in, it looks and runs great. the carb is definitely going to be the first upgrade. The MCO is in the mail, as per the person I talked to at 360 powersports today, and should be arriving in a couple of days. Side note, the bike itself was super clean and came in only four days so shout out to 360 powersports on that aspect.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
The bike came in, it looks and runs great. the carb is definitely going to be the first upgrade. The MCO is in the mail, as per the person I talked to at 360 powersports today, and should be arriving in a couple of days. Side note, the bike itself was super clean and came in only four days so shout out to 360 powersports on that aspect.
It's always good to here positive comments of a dealer. I never heard anything bad about them. Hopefully they turn out to be one of good dealers.
2020 Venom Ghost 250
105main,40pilot,17/36 sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9
2016 Black Hawk 250
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #15

Elijah, I don't think tagging any vehicle in Georgia will set you back a grand. I would start with just trying to go down to the DMV and see what they can get started for you. You may luck out and get taken care of straight away. If you get turned away, then try to get the steering stem stickers and the inspection by the local sheriff. The first thing I did to my Hawk was the carb, chain and sprockets. When I first put it together and fired it up, it would go any faster than about 40, but it would do it straight up. Keep us posted.

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250
2016 Ural Gear Up

Tags
250, georgia, haosen, hawk, title