Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2021, 01:18 AM   #166

Are the chassis side wiring colors the classic Honda fare at least? If so, it just takes a little continuity testing to sort out the switch side of things. Might be a tad tedious, but it will at least help you sort it out.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-15-2021, 03:25 AM   #167

The blue and white should be the headlight. Brown should be rear light. Which leaves indicators ...but the loom side femal sockets apear to do other things like even the push start red/yellow....and this kit didn't even come with the engine kill and start switches.

I'm going to focus on the battery, ignition and engine start first. once the bike is running i can order the digital dash cluster and worry about the rest of the accessories form there. I just wanted to know if the Chinese bikes had any miss matched colored wire connectors out of the crate? otherwise I con just go on to de-pinning what i need to and make the custom loom requirements.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:25 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
I just wanted to know if the Chinese bikes had any miss matched colored wire connectors out of the crate? otherwise I con just go on to de-pinning what i need to and make the custom loom requirements.
Not intimately familiar with the other bikes, but the Hawk uses the classic Honda wiring color scheme. Blue and white for headlight. Orange and light blue for turn signals, green for ground, green and yellow for brake light switch circuit, black for 12 volt hot ignition circuit, etc. I would need a diagram for the rest, but you get the point.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:35 AM   #169

Right...I did print out a couple of wiring diagrams which seemed to correspond to the same scheme you suggest Megadan...It's just the way this wiring loom 'complete' kit came about was left hanging. As the lighting left hand switch gear doesn't actually plug into the main loom. So I'm missing some intermediary equipment.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:44 AM   #170

Quote:
Right...I did print out a couple of wiring diagrams which seemed to correspond to the same scheme you suggest Megadan...It's just the way this wiring loom 'complete' kit came about was left hanging. As the lighting left hand switch gear doesn't actually plug into the main loom. So I'm missing some intermediary equipment.
Or more than likely they just grabbed wiring loom from supplier A. Switch Gear from Supplier F, and tossed it in a box without ever really checking or caring that it went together the right way. In the Case of a proper Honda, the Hawk, and probably most of the other Hawk like bikes, the wiring matches up in color and plug one end to the other, switch gear and all.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:38 AM   #171

If you look up power probe, there are Chinese copies available on wish/aliexpress that should do the job. They're incredibly useful for figuring out wiring, because they work a bit like a test light (except with a number for the voltage, instead of just the light), but you can also send power and ground to a circuit (I think up to 10a) to test it, when the time comes. I'd say get a real one, but they're like $180aud.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:00 AM   #172

More Reflectors

Yeah I know it's kinda tacky styling.

I'm not the kinda rider who goes full banana high vis. And i don't plan or intend to do much if any night/dark riding.

But I would like to try and prevent injury and or possible damage.

Seen my fair share of whisky dents and anything to prevent some muppet knocking the bike over is cheap insurance.

And you never know when the weather could change and make conditions unfavorable.

Also think I might need them to get my road worthy inspection pass. Should be adequate.

So, adhesive safety reflector tape. cheap and enough of a roll to replace when required.

Handy stuff, also put some on my trailer. Photos taken in dark with flash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reflecto.jpg (34.7 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg noreflecto.jpg (45.5 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg yellow reflecto.jpg (45.6 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg redreflecto.jpg (41.7 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg rearreflecto.jpg (53.6 KB, 369 views)

Old 03-18-2021, 08:38 PM   #173

Quote:
The new CG250 wiring loom kit came with some interesting yet conflicting arrangements.

Most of the ignition wires made sense and connected accordingly.

But the lighting/indicators/horn switch gear and the loom connections don't appear to correspond with their out of the kit counterparts. The kit did not come with a diagram and I am wondering if there is meant to be a missing link.

Somewhere in between there should be indicator relays.

But I am just wondering if the users of China bikes have the same sort of mish-mash wiring mismatching conundrums. The plugs fit but the colouring appears to be all wrong.
I'm not positive here, but the slider on the switch gear that looks like it's for the indicators might actually be a kill switch. Your controls and plugs look just like the ones on my Rhino. The middle slider moves like an indicator control but it kills the engine when it's moved left or right. It resets by pushing it in just like if you were canceling the indicators. My controls show a circle "run" symbol in the middle and the same symbol crossed out on both sides.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-19-2021, 12:23 AM   #174

Hi david3921, thanks for chiming in. I came to that sort of conclusion as the yellow/red wire should be the electric push start feed and the brown wire should be the rear light so having them on the same 6 pin plug suggests it was configured weirdly. The main harness makes sense and conforms to the Honda spec as Megadan eluded to. That left hand switch gear just through for a loop. I contacted the seller and got a partial refund.

Should be able to take apart the switch gear and see what colour wire should do what and sort it out eventualy.

Last edited by XLsior; 04-17-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:39 AM   #175

Better Battery Brackets

It's been awhile haven't done much but finding some spare time to focus on the project bike. Have also found a buyer for all the left over xl185 engine parts and spares...this recouped almost 3/4 of my initial barnfind expense. which is great as it covers some of the bloopers and can go towards the digital dash.

Anyway to the topic of the battery holding box...

So using cardboard assisted design Have tried to incorporate the rear splash guard and battery box.

had to make obvious clearances for the exhaust pipe, drive chain and possible rear wheel tire contact.

Also tried to accommodate the starter solenoid, 12v rectifier and a 1 way valve/pcv mounting points.

transfer the CAD to the same 2mm aluminum sheet and cut out using a jigsaw with metal cutting bit.

Will try folding it all up next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery bracket1.jpg (35.4 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg batterybracket2.jpg (36.4 KB, 320 views)

Last edited by XLsior; 04-11-2021 at 06:07 AM.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:15 AM   #176

Aluminium Origami

Folding and trimming the rear splash guard/battery box combo. It's all a bit rustic hand made but I'm ok with that... and once the side covers are on you wont be able to see much of it any way.

Still working out the wiring routing, battery box is riveted to the splash guard with a bit of silicone gutter sealant to help with any vibration buzz.

The bottom mount points have M6 nutserts. Waiting on some foam tape before final install to insulate against vibration and prevent any more paint scratching...however the beauty of using touch up auto paint to spray a bike is that it makes cover up paint damage a bit easier.

Just ordered some cable lug ends to make the starter wire from the solenoid to starter connection. turns out a 104 lug end kit is the same price as 2 lug ends sold separately... go figure

Once that's sorted out it should put the project ever so close to the first start attempt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB1.jpg (44.4 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg bb2.jpg (42.2 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg bb3.jpg (57.4 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg bb4.jpg (46.9 KB, 308 views)

Old 04-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #177

I really like the way the battery box came out.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #178

A fuss of a fuse

Cable lugs arrived so made the starter motor-solenoid link.

plugged in all the ignition system and the kill/push start switch in rudimentary test fashion.

turn key and pushed the button...nadda.

bumped the solenoid and the starter motor kicked over and got a compression cycle bloop...flssh, bloop...flssh. OK re check connections...nothing unusual.

Check fuse...ahh huh, Chinesium strikes again.

Order some mini blade fuse holders but in the meantime make a ghetto fuse holder.

Press the push start bloop...flssh, bloop...flssh, YES!!!

squirt a bit brake cleaner down the carby...push button bloop...flssh...PAP.

Watershed moment...

Not counting it as a first start but I have passed a threshold of the project.

It's no longer a lounge room ornament its a motorcycle...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fused.jpg (42.0 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by XLsior; 04-23-2021 at 10:32 PM.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:59 AM   #179

Exsqueeze me

So Engine back out...

Couple of reasons...

1. I cant carry the whole assembly down stairs due to total weight and store in the garage where the Motorcycle will appropriately belong. the lounge room has served its project needs and I need to make way for wooden floor prep and sanding.

2. Assembling the bike completely and riding out of the house is not a wise move.

And 3. I had to shave some meat off the engine mount as it was to wide ti fit the bolt spacer and cable bracket as the Honda 163 engine allowed.

OHS moment when I plugged in the grinder with cutting disk only to have spin on and kick off the floor...disc disinterested, thankfully no harm done. Could have sworn it was switched off...but guess not. lost my only cutting disc though...Death wheel is an appropriate nomenclature. I was wearing my face shield.

Hard to revert to hacksaw with flappy sander finish.

the bike will be relocated to the garage.

Waiting for some 4 and 5 pin relays, Ordered an LED gear indicator module and figuring out a dash plate to hole the digi dash, ignition key and whatever else in future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg makeafit1.jpg (33.5 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg makeafit3.jpg (32.3 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Makeafit4.jpg (43.5 KB, 220 views)

Old 05-12-2021, 08:21 PM   #180

Fabricating a Seat clamp mount lock plate thingy.

So i put the original factory seat clamp washer and bolt "somewhere safe" and well I forget where that is...

So made a new lock down plate out of 5mm aluminum flat bar chamfered the edges and countersunk a bolt hole for a allen head 6mm replacement.

Will add a spacer washer if needed. Thankfully I don't think ill risk ripping the seat of my pants now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seatclamp1.jpg (45.3 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg seatmount2.jpg (46.6 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg seatmount3.jpg (81.2 KB, 199 views)