Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #1

What might be causing this

Hey guys another wd250 baja question. I cant get a spark so ive been testing and at the stator the 3 white wires are producing about 7.5 volts between each one as i change them....is this correct this at cranking speed? Also i tested the ignition wire from cdi to coil it was producing rather erratic volts sometimes as high as 93 volts some only crank out 10 volts and so on...is there a steady flow of volts i should see going into coil and what should they be and what is theclassic problem if it isn right.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #2

Before we go that far, what is the actual symptom that you're experiencing?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #3

hi since i bought this atv its never had a spark my friend gave up on it so i took over. i couldnt rely find any proper details about it so i searched for a typical average for electrical values.these are what i have
blue/white - green/white pick up coil not sure which way its read 0.2 or 2.0 ohms
then the three white wires tested between each was a steady 1.4 and nothing to ground.

the primary windings 4.5 ohms
the secondary was 13.6 ohms

when i tested ac volts at stator across the three whites in turn this is what it produced at cranking speed on electric start every reading was a steady 7.1 volts is this right.
It gets even stranger as i put tester across the cdi to coil wire as i cranked it i had readings from 10 to 95 volts it peaked at but i cant see this unstable output to be right surely. what would you say

Old 12-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #4

A meter is tough to read on the coil input side. Rather than a meter, I'd try a test light. Hold the probe on the positive wire that feeds the coil, and clip the ground wire to a good ground. Does it light up when you hit the starter button?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #5

the biggest problem im having is actually finding which pin is thye 12v+ into cdi cause i have blue/white green/white which we know are pulsar, it leaves black/red black on its own and black/white.would it be posibble for the black/white to be the one to feed the coil off the kill system and the black/red be power input. as it doesnt like it if i substitute the black/white for a power into the cdi it blows fuses

Old 12-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #6

I took this from your other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo0604 View Post
ive just managed to get the old pinout off another guy whos got identical set up the kill switch is black and white and black is the ground.
Can you ask him for the pinout of the CDI?