Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #1

Head Scratching Bashan Storm Rear Master Cylinder Problems

Well, I have put almost 2000 miles on my Storm since last October. It has been great. Engine is just now freeing up on acceleration and cruising at 55 mph. BUT, now the problem: I got on my bike after a week of not riding it (we were out of town). I drove it down the street just to find out that I had no rear brake. I immediatelly turned around headed back to the house for inspection. I found out that the pressing the brake pedal did nothing to compress the rear calipers and no rear brake light. So, my guess was that air had somehow gotten into the rear brake system. I then attempted to bleed the air out of the master cylinder (I have done this many times on Honda car clutch slave cylinders and brake system). But, to my disappointment, no fluid from the bleed screw after holding down the rear brake pedal and opening/closing the bleed screw. Repeated it many times; still no fluid from the bleed screw and nothing happening to the fluid in the reservoir. So, my guess is that the piston in the brake master cylinder is stuck. Since I have no brake light, the pressure switch in the master cylinder for the light is not being closed either due to no pressure. Has anyone else experienced this? Or, I'm probably missing something and sure would appreciated the expertise from this forum. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprewitt View Post
Well, I have put almost 2000 miles on my Storm since last October. It has been great. Engine is just now freeing up on acceleration and cruising at 55 mph. BUT, now the problem: I got on my bike after a week of not riding it (we were out of town). I drove it down the street just to find out that I had no rear brake. I immediatelly turned around headed back to the house for inspection. I found out that the pressing the brake pedal did nothing to compress the rear calipers and no rear brake light. So, my guess was that air had somehow gotten into the rear brake system. I then attempted to bleed the air out of the master cylinder (I have done this many times on Honda car clutch slave cylinders and brake system). But, to my disappointment, no fluid from the bleed screw after holding down the rear brake pedal and opening/closing the bleed screw. Repeated it many times; still no fluid from the bleed screw and nothing happening to the fluid in the reservoir. So, my guess is that the piston in the brake master cylinder is stuck. Since I have no brake light, the pressure switch in the master cylinder for the light is not being closed either due to no pressure. Has anyone else experienced this? Or, I'm probably missing something and sure would appreciated the expertise from this forum. Thanks.
Are you running the original brake fluid that came with the bike? ....ARH

Old 07-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #3

Unfortunately, Yes. I bought it from a local dealer. I was under the impression that the fluids had been changed. But, it is a holiday weekend and the dealer won't be open until tomorrow. I will try to get this settled through them but these bikes have a very limited warranty. The dealer has a good reputation, so hopefully they'll resolve this or be helpful. I am afraid, though, that the fluid has just gummed up the master cylinder and the little piston is stuck...... Yes, should have just changed the fluid to be safe.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #4

Mine had leaked from the reservoir hose attachment and from the bleeding nipple, and from the reservoir cap; not a bad idea to check for leaks.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:24 AM   #5

Sounds to me like the piston seal inside the master cylinder let go. If the piston stuck, the rear pedal wouldn't move at all. It may be possible to find a rebuild kit for it, but you could also simply look into a new one, or even adapting something from another bike.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Sounds to me like the piston seal inside the master cylinder let go. If the piston stuck, the rear pedal wouldn't move at all. It may be possible to find a rebuild kit for it, but you could also simply look into a new one, or even adapting something from another bike.
Thanks. I called the local dealer, again. They're a small shop. Looks like they are out on vacation until the 17th. Was hoping they had a rebuild kit in stock. Guess I'll have to wait another week. Meanwhile, I'll take it apart and see what's causing the issue. Just part of the experience

Old 07-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #7

You don't rebuild these, you replace. Dirt cheap.
Here's a link to search just in case they blow you off.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ke+brake+parts

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #8

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
You don't rebuild these, you replace. Dirt cheap.
Here's a link to search just in case they blow you off.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ke+brake+parts
Thanks, 2LZ. You're right; not worth the rebuild. Now, to just find the one that fits

Old 07-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #9

Well, I did purge the "old" brown brake fluid from the master cylinder. Bled the line until the fluid ran clear with new DOT3. Well, even though there are still very tiny bubbles in the line, I now have a rear brake and the brake light comes on. So, for now, I'm going to call that good. May have to bleed it more but at least it works and the old grimey brown fluid is out of the system. Thanks for the inputs. ** NOTE: this picture was taken before the old fluid was purged. Notice the brown color in the fluid reservoir.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Storm_brake_mstrcyl.jpg (92.1 KB, 1030 views)

Old 07-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #10

Smart Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprewitt View Post
Well, I did purge the "old" brown brake fluid from the master cylinder. Bled the line until the fluid ran clear with new DOT3. Well, even though there are still very tiny bubbles in the line, I now have a rear brake and the brake light comes on. So, for now, I'm going to call that good. May have to bleed it more but at least it works and the old grimey brown fluid is out of the system. Thanks for the inputs. ** NOTE: this picture was taken before the old fluid was purged. Notice the brown color in the fluid reservoir.
While you are on a roll, do the front brake too...ARH

Old 07-10-2017, 10:37 AM   #11

Good to hear you got it working!...and as ARH says, ddo the front also. It's worth the 1/4 cup of fluid by the time you're done.

Man....I sure like that shade of orange you have on that Storm. Super nice.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
While you are on a roll, do the front brake too...ARH
Will do, ARH...... that old stuff is bad!

Old 07-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Good to hear you got it working!...and as ARH says, ddo the front also. It's worth the 1/4 cup of fluid by the time you're done.

Man....I sure like that shade of orange you have on that Storm. Super nice.
Thanks, 2LZ. I get many compliments on it. As the norm, I get questions all the time..."what kind of bike is that, KTM?". But I do like the color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Storm.jpg (48.4 KB, 984 views)

Old 11-28-2021, 10:28 PM   #14

That is a nice looking bike.
Can any of y'all point to a "How to Blead TBR7 Rear Disc Brakes" video or thread. I took my rear wheel off on my new TBR7 to grease the swingarm & rear axle, now the calipers are closed. Won't open.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:36 AM   #15

has nothing to do with brake light,switch is pulled by spring to come on. not inside of brake master cylinder.

Tags
bleeding, brakes, master cylinder, storm