Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #1

Crank access port cover completely seized on new RX3

Hello, this is my first post but I have been occasionally referring to this forum for information and such on the RX3.

So today I started the process of my initial valve adjustment after break in. This isn't my first valve adjustment and I'm not an inexperienced mechanic by any means. However I didn't get very far because the crank access port cover, the large cap with the 10mm hex hole, is completely and utterly stuck in the crankcase cover. I didn't get on it with anything more than a 3/8" ratchet and a hex bit socket but it wouldn't budge. Okay, so I use some penetrating oil, some light heat, and a little more force. Nothing. Repeat, tap on it with a mallet, nothing. More force, oh the inside of the soft aluminum is starting to give, that's great. More heat and a light impact wrench, doesn't budge. More force and finally strips out the inside of the cover. Well they're $1.75 on CSC's website so no worries. I go to town on this thing with everything I have and I even grind it out into a square and put my 3/8" extension in there. Strips again and doesn't budge. I'm still currently working on it but I'm not happy.

Anyone heard of this before? I'm under warranty for parts and I can remove the entire left side cover but seriously this is ridiculous.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #2

That's really bizarre. The first time I did both of our RX3's they were in tighter than I expected from factory assembly but I was able to finally pop them loose with more force than I was comfortable.

I hope you get this worked out. Have you called Gerry? He's probably seen this before.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #3

As 2lz says, contact CSC.

I've seen this happen on several different makes of bikes, so Zongshen/CSC is not unique for this.

Good luck.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #4

It never budged even the slightest. The plug was breaking into pieces from hardly any force too. It was probably over tightened at the factory and galled the aluminum to the point where it was never going to come out. I just removed the entire left side cover and emailed CSC. Hopefully they just send me new parts.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:21 PM   #5

You'll find this problem on several bolts, plugs, etc. on the RX-3. They need a sharp tap, preferably an impact wrench and plenty of heat. I use a small butane torch for about a minute.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 07-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #6

Darn, that's a real PITA! It sounds like you have done everything to get the plug out without surgery. With that said, you can still do the valves with the plug in place. You will have to rotate the engine using the rear tire. Also, remove the two cam cover plugs so you can insure getting the cams into the correct position. This is much easier than taking the timing plug out and looking for the timing mark. Spud has some photos showing the cam marking.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:04 AM   #7

I had this on my other bike, it was deeply frustrating. The metal was very soft and I practically destroyed it getting it off.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #8

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
You'll find this problem on several bolts, plugs, etc. on the RX-3. They need a sharp tap, preferably an impact wrench and plenty of heat. I use a small butane torch for about a minute.
x2, specially the "plenty of heat" comment.
- ex Honda Storm 125 (2009)
- ex Corven Triax 250 Touring (2016) (Zongshen RX3 carb)
Benelli TRK 502 (2018)

Old 07-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #9

I did use a butane torch but maybe I didn't leave it on long enough. I didn't want the paint to start coming off the cover. Anyways read below for where I'm currently at or anyone who is interested in how a parts warranty claim might go in a situation like this.

I didn't get a response back from CSC and after a few days I knew I'd have to call them (they're normally very good about replying). And as anyone with two jobs and multiple young children who run around screaming and hanging on you constantly knows, it can be hard to find a quiet place or time to make an important phone call. So by coincidence CSC actually emailed me about contacting a potential customer since I'm in their affiliate program. My response was I'd be happy too except my bike was in multiple pieces and I need to contact them about parts warranty.

Long story short they forward my email to Gerry and I explain the situation. His response:

"The left crankcase plug sometimes are difficult to remove. I have had the same issue from time to time. What you have done so far is sometimes necessary. I will send you a new plug for replacement.

These plugs are soft and it’s very important you use a quality Allen socket to install / remove.

Please email me directly if I can help any further

Thank you
Csc service manager
Gerry Edwards"

Okay not too bad except I couldn't get the plug out and I'd like a whole new cover. At least he's aware of the issue. The only problem is they won't warranty the part unless I continue to attempt to remove the plug. Gerry's exact words: "

"You can cut the plug out or drill out.
Or use a dremel to remove most of it until you can unscrew.
You will need to purchase the cover if you want it
Its 36.50
Gasket 12.60"

Then after I complain a bit about it not being worth the effort because I'm pretty sure I'll damage the threads in the cover and for $36 I don't want to spend even more time on an issue he knows exists. A Dremel with a cutting wheel doesn't work well in tight spots when trying to cut at 90 degrees, and being aluminum it clogs grinding stones or maybe I don't have the right bit. Drilling is fine but I don't have a proper bit large enough, and I'd need a huge one, so all I can come up with is using a small bit to drill very close to the threads and hope I can get it out. Response:

If you damage the cover while trying to remove the plug, then I will include the cover as a warranty.

But it seems you haven’t got that far yet?
So , if you just want the cover, I need to retail it.

I can’t send a cover , under warranty, because you are requesting it.

Please help me here.

CSC motorcycles has a generous warranty program, but there are procedures that need to be followed.

Is the cover damaged because of the seized plug?

If yes, no problem. I can send needed parts

Again not a terrible response, and an understandable policy, but I did tell him I thought it was not a realistic request for the average home mechanic especially when its a $36 part that I'm likely to damage in the process anyway. However I'll make the attempt today and see how it goes.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #10

I finally managed to get it out. I drilled a half inch hole through the cap but that didn't really do much. I couldn't get close enough to the threads to break it free but I did hit the rubber seal. At the time I couldn't tell what it was. I then just started cutting whatever I could with my Dremel from the outside, which also didn't help a whole lot due to the angle, but I got a large enough hole to put a chisel in it with a wrench. After applying heat for a few minutes on the inside I broke it free. Lesson learned for next time: use more heat and less force?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2619.jpg (93.8 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2621.jpg (46.2 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2620.jpg (43.3 KB, 194 views)

Old 07-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #11

Head Scratching Quality, What's That?

I guess the QUALITY doesn't go in, before the NAME goes on!!!!!

Or, do I really have to worry about cross threading during the manufacturing of new bikes????? I won't have to worry about disassembly!!!!! Since it will probably be in a new COUNTRY!

Old 07-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM View Post
I finally managed to get it out. I drilled a half inch hole through the cap but that didn't really do much. I couldn't get close enough to the threads to break it free but I did hit the rubber seal. At the time I couldn't tell what it was. I then just started cutting whatever I could with my Dremel from the outside, which also didn't help a whole lot due to the angle, but I got a large enough hole to put a chisel in it with a wrench. After applying heat for a few minutes on the inside I broke it free. Lesson learned for next time: use more heat and less force?
Good job on the removal.

Try some anti-seize on the threads when you get the new plug/cover.

I'm on my second cap, as well.

jb

Old 07-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #13

Yup, already planned on the anti-seize. Living in the rust belt I'm no stranger to stuck bolts but man was this plug was made of some soft aluminum. I could hardly apply any force on it before I could feel the material giving way.

One additional detail to the story is CSC wants me to call them to pay for the shipping on this $1.75 part that weights a few ounces. The cost of the part has been confirmed by CSC that it will be covered under warranty, but upon a quick search the CSC website clearly states:

"Replacement parts will be sent directly to you via standard ground shipping at no charge."

This is cut and pasted directly off their website. I don't know if something has changed but when I bought my RX3 it was a 2 year warranty on parts with 1 year on labor. The website is lacking the fine print on the warranty but it kind of sounds like BS to me. I mean for like $3.50 you can ship this part First Class Mail anywhere in the US.

I'm going to call them tomorrow to be sure, but I think my replacement plug is on its way after my last email from Gerry. At least I can now finish up my valve adjustment while I'm waiting.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM View Post
Yup, already planned on the anti-seize. Living in the rust belt I'm no stranger to stuck bolts but man was this plug was made of some soft aluminum. I could hardly apply any force on it before I could feel the material giving way.

One additional detail to the story is CSC wants me to call them to pay for the shipping on this $1.75 part that weights a few ounces. The cost of the part has been confirmed by CSC that it will be covered under warranty, but upon a quick search the CSC website clearly states:

"Replacement parts will be sent directly to you via standard ground shipping at no charge."

This is cut and pasted directly off their website. I don't know if something has changed but when I bought my RX3 it was a 2 year warranty on parts with 1 year on labor. The website is lacking the fine print on the warranty but it kind of sounds like BS to me. I mean for like $3.50 you can ship this part First Class Mail anywhere in the US.

I'm going to call them tomorrow to be sure, but I think my replacement plug is on its way after my last email from Gerry. At least I can now finish up my valve adjustment while I'm waiting.
VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!
Maybe they're having more failing pieces and parts than is generally known by the public?

Old 07-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #15

Bizarre. They've shipped any warranty parts I've needed free of shipping.
I'm glad you get it out. It'll make it super easy to twist the motor with the cover off to do your valve adjust.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350