Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #3586

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
However, if you need to enlarge the hole slightly, it shouldn't be too hard to ream the aluminum with a slightly larger drill bit.
Hmm. I don't think I have a 12+ mm drill bit. I guess another trip to the hardware store is needed. Why is this developing into a pattern?

Old 05-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #3587

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Hmm. I don't think I have a 12+ mm drill bit. I guess another trip to the hardware store is needed. Why is this developing into a pattern?
Yes, trust me, this is definitely developing into a pattern.

However, you don't need to buy a metric drill bit. For example a 1/2" drill bit is 12.7 mm in diameter.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #3588

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I just ordered a new one. The battery is still ok on the old one, and it will be going to my brother.
Good for you, Tony. Anyone who hikes, bicycles, hunts, drives, or rides into the mountains or other remote areas should always carry a personal locator beacon.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #3589

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-24-2015, 08:02 PM   #3590

Quote:
X2 on everything Sprite said. If you have an assembled bike shipped to you, expect to pay more for the custom, wooden, shipping crate. CSC needs to pay for the wood and assemble the crate, which is also larger than the steel crate used to ship the unassembled bikes.

I love the engine, transmission, and EFI of the RX3. I also love all the standard features, et cetera. However, I wish the suspension were better. The bike has somewhat limited travel for the forks and shock absorber. Also, in my opinion, both the forks and the shock absorber need stiffer springs.

Thank You Spud for your great imput. This is such a wonderful thread. I was looking at this and a Suzuki Drz 400. But I feel like you would say this is the best bang for your buck?? Just feel like this would be a better commuter and get better mpg as well. It won't be as good off road I know but it's also way cheaper and has much newer technology. Is there upgrades out there that you know of for the suspension and forks and stuff?? Can anyone else tell me also about there love for this bike? How it's been going?

Old 05-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #3591

Check out my RX3!@!

I just started a new thread where I'll be sharing everything related to my RX3; I'll mostly be sharing modifications until August, at which point I'll have more time to ride and will be sharing my adventures!

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...815#post185815

Looking forward to any feedback you have for me! Thanks again to all the veteran Chinariders in this thread who helped me make the decision to get on the boat.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:19 AM   #3592

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyrider View Post
I just started a new thread where I'll be sharing everything related to my RX3; I'll mostly be sharing modifications until August, at which point I'll have more time to ride and will be sharing my adventures!

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...815#post185815

Looking forward to any feedback you have for me! Thanks again to all the veteran Chinariders in this thread who helped me make the decision to get on the boat.
Your bike looks great. Thanks for starting the new thread.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-25-2015, 12:24 AM   #3593

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs91882 View Post
Thank You Spud for your great imput. This is such a wonderful thread. I was looking at this and a Suzuki Drz 400. But I feel like you would say this is the best bang for your buck?? Just feel like this would be a better commuter and get better mpg as well. It won't be as good off road I know but it's also way cheaper and has much newer technology. Is there upgrades out there that you know of for the suspension and forks and stuff?? Can anyone else tell me also about there love for this bike? How it's been going?
I have talked to Ryan at CSC regarding the possibility of getting stiffer springs for the forks, and the shock absorber. I think CSC is interested in pursuing these options, but they are on the 'back burner' right now, as CSC is overwhelmed with other activities.

I love everything about the RX3, except the suspension. However, for the price I paid, I really should not complain too much. Nevertheless, I would love to obtain an aftermarket shock absorber for this bike. I think a better shock absorber and stiffer fork springs would transform this motorcycle, and take it to a higher level.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-25-2015, 07:30 AM   #3594

Quote:
Nevertheless, I would love to obtain an aftermarket shock absorber for this bike. I think a better shock absorber and stiffer fork springs would transform this motorcycle, and take it to a higher level.
For the forks, you could try a slightly thicker fork oil - if the manual says use a 10, you could try a 15. This will slow the damping. Funnily enough, if you shorten the spring and increase / insert a spacer to make up the difference, then you will have a much firmer ride, although they will "bottom-out" earlier.

There is a mathematical formula and if you have a large black coffee to-hand, then click here

Spring Rate

And the article it came from here

Cutting Fork SPrings make them Stiffer
Velocettes (various)
Piaggio's / Honda's / Yamaha's
Raptor . . . . the List Goes On . . . .

Old 05-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #3595

Quote:
If you buy a 1/2" drill bit per Spud's post, ensure that you either have a 1/2" drill to drive it, or you must buy a 1/2" bit with a shank that is reduced to accommodate a 3/8" drill.

A 1/2" drill with a 1/2" shank won't fit in a 3/8" drill, even with persuasion from a big hammer.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #3596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
If you buy a 1/2" drill bit per Spud's post, ensure that you either have a 1/2" drill to drive it, or you must buy a 1/2" bit with a shank that is reduced to accommodate a 3/8" drill.

A 1/2" drill with a 1/2" shank won't fit in a 3/8" drill, even with persuasion from a big hammer.
thanks weld - was hoping to at least get the end off the clutch side grip to measure the ID but have been downed with a summer plague so my bike has been sorely neglected this weekend. I find it surprising that the 22mm bars have an ID of only about 12mm as that would indicate a rather substantial sidewall thickness...but then I haven't looked at many bare handlebars, so that could be completely normal :P

Old 05-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #3597

Quote:
thanks weld - was hoping to at least get the end off the clutch side grip to measure the ID but have been downed with a summer plague so my bike has been sorely neglected this weekend. I find it surprising that the 22mm bars have an ID of only about 12mm as that would indicate a rather substantial sidewall thickness...but then I haven't looked at many bare handlebars, so that could be completely normal :P
You are correct. The sidewall thickness at the end of the RX3 handlebars is unusually robust.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #3598

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHSPACE View Post
For the forks, you could try a slightly thicker fork oil - if the manual says use a 10, you could try a 15. This will slow the damping. Funnily enough, if you shorten the spring and increase / insert a spacer to make up the difference, then you will have a much firmer ride, although they will "bottom-out" earlier.

There is a mathematical formula and if you have a large black coffee to-hand, then click here

Spring Rate

And the article it came from here

Cutting Fork SPrings make them Stiffer
Thanks for you input. Changing the fork oil is one of the first things I did to my RX3.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14672

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-26-2015, 12:51 AM   #3599

Quote:
I find it surprising that the 22mm bars have an ID of only about 12mm as that would indicate a rather substantial sidewall thickness...but then I haven't looked at many bare handlebars, so that could be completely normal :P
That's typical of quality aluminum bars.

I hope you feel better soon.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #3600

[QUOTE=woodlandsprite;185884] thanks weld - was hoping to at least get the end off the clutch side grip to measure the ID but have been downed with a summer plague so my bike has been sorely neglected this weekend. I find it surprising that the 22mm bars have an ID of only about 12mm as that would indicate a rather substantial sidewall thickness...but then I haven't looked at many bare handlebars, so that could be completely normal :P[/

When I did my hand guards I found the hole in the bars to be already very close to 1/2" though out of round so a 1/2" bar wouldn't go in. So I just used a 1/2" drill bit to kind of ream out the out of roundness. Didn't remove much material. Then I turned the hand guard mount down to 1/2" to fit. rj