Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2022, 09:54 PM   #151

A vari-jet down draft weber would be nice but its for manual trannies only.

Old 07-07-2022, 05:40 PM   #152

The carb rebuild was a success, if a bit confusing. My Dad was the last person inside that carb and I hate to say it, but Dad should stick to body work. Float height below the top of the carb body should be somewhere, depending on what document you read, between 1/16-5/64". I shit you not, the float height was at least 1/4" below the top of the carb body. Explains a lot of drivability problems.

The confusion comes from the fact that Carter made nearly 50 versions of the B&B and only provided a general rebuild guide for all of them. The carbs used on Chrysler products with the semi auto trans have a whole 'n other set of passages, linkages, pistons, springs and valves. None of that is in the general guide. Some of the needed info I found in the DeSoto shop manual and some on a DeSoto forum.

Now I have better starting, smoother idle, no more stalling at stops, better acceleration, no more low speed miss while rolling through town in high gear, and the kick down is now 100%. Before the rebuild, I'd be lucky to get it at all.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-08-2022, 06:14 AM   #153

And so it begins, Cheesy... You think to yourself "Well, I'm not working, I have time to get into (insert project that's been on your radar for the past two or three years here) and I'll finally get this done!" Yeah, before you know it, you're going to have six projects like that in the works, and you'll never get a moments rest! Like I said, I'm working harder now that I'm 'retired' than I ever did when I had a nine-to-five...

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 07-08-2022, 07:52 AM   #154

No kidding. I vowed not to sit on my ass and die in front of the TV.

My day starts with a couple cups of coffee in the screen room, reading the internet. Followed by a light breakfast and taking Buster for about a mile walk. If the weather isn't bad, I'll bicycle into town for another cuppa and maybe second breakfast, then take the long way back home. Then it's whatever needs to be done around the house.

So far this week, besides the carb on the DeSoto and the maintenance on the Ural; I've cut out, sanded, and mounted a new table top for our deck table, tried my hand at wood forming for trim on said table, daily yard work, troubleshooting the old tube radios, pressure washed all the deck furniture, and mowed twice. Today it will be helping Mrs.C cut in paint on one of her projects, getting the trim on the table top, and re-seasoning the griddle on my Blackstone. Thank Ja the timing kit for the Jeep is on back order. That will be next week's project.

I've already told Mrs.C that I may need to find a job just to get some rest.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts