Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2019, 10:19 PM   #1

Tao Tao DBX1

I have been eying the Apollo dbx18 for a hot minute. The build quality seems pretty good, larger tires, and it is keyed which I really like. Today I stumbled arcoss the tao tao dbx1. 140cc with 17/14 tires. It also seems to be the first affordable china bike ive seen with an oil cooler installed! I had always thought about doing an install on my vader before it broke. I dont browse the pitbike threads as much as a should, but my reasearch has gotten me to be more apollo biased. I know all these bikes need wrenching but do any of you have comparisons between your experiences with tao tao and other china brands?

LINK!!

Old 03-02-2019, 02:33 AM   #2

I am Taotao biased, although that is more because my friend sells them, although I have noticed they stepped up their quality across the lineup. I like the idea of the DBX--buying a low cost higher performance bike (thanks to its 140cc engine).

That being said, with the Apollo DB36 as its flagship, Apollo seems to have a great lineup across the board, and might be slightly a bump up in quality over the Taotao.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I have a few more months to make a decision, its prime snow season here in maine. I feel like the oil cooler and the 140cc engine for the same price might sway me towards the tao tao. I need something to ride while I fix all of my current bikes in different stages of disrepair. Vader needs new engine, my xl100 and radian both need pretty much full tear downs.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #4

I'm a newbie to this forum. Just received a Tao Tao DBX1 and have it uncrated. Did you end up buying the DBX1? Got any idea of the oil capacity? Anything you want to share?

Old 04-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkhornRich View Post
I'm a newbie to this forum. Just received a Tao Tao DBX1 and have it uncrated. Did you end up buying the DBX1? Got any idea of the oil capacity? Anything you want to share?
I have not. I ended buying a new motor for my vader. However it does come with the oil cooler, and I read the instructions on installation. It said to put in your usual amount (try a quart), fire up the bike for ten seconds and shut it off. then check your dipstick, add oil to top off. Let me know how it treats you because I'm still entertaining the idea of buying one!

Old 04-17-2019, 02:07 PM   #6

I only now had a chance to start up the DBX1. Took a bit, but got it started and rode some. The clutch lever was too high, so I adjusted it. Now I'm having difficulties starting it. But I have to say, for that brief first ride, wow, very responsive, very. My delay is that I have a small income tax practice...so really very busy until Tuesday. I'll post more as I get out. I'm going to replace the spark plug now and see if it's easier to start. Later.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkhornRich View Post
I only now had a chance to start up the DBX1. Took a bit, but got it started and rode some. The clutch lever was too high, so I adjusted it. Now I'm having difficulties starting it. But I have to say, for that brief first ride, wow, very responsive, very. My delay is that I have a small income tax practice...so really very busy until Tuesday. I'll post more as I get out. I'm going to replace the spark plug now and see if it's easier to start. Later.
Awesome, keep us posted. I feel not as many people have updates on their pitbikes.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhildoScaggins View Post
..... I feel not as many people have updates on their pitbikes.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooDog View Post
Ha ha. Impadog was doing well keeping us updated on his rxb125l, unfortunately he had to sell it :/ I want to see more street legal pit bikes!

Old 11-18-2019, 08:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhildoScaggins View Post
Ha ha. Impadog was doing well keeping us updated on his rxb125l, unfortunately he had to sell it :/ I want to see more street legal pit bikes!
I dropped a hint to Pete, Kronik Racing's owner to speak to Boom/Baodiao about adding a pitbike to their certification. I mean, on the same certificate they get their few Vaders, they also have that 3/4 size Ninja. I know there is a whole slew of models listed on their EPA/DOT certificate because all the models are 'technical' alphanumeric names like BD125-1, BD125-2, etc. Not only that, the Vader is 50 state legal, which makes the Ninja-like bike California legal. It wouldn't take much to add a pitbike to the mix, I am guessing.

Taotao only has their Hellcat 125 on their US EPA/DOT certificate and CARB certificate, so it would be more difficult to add in a pitbike on either/or certificate.

The other thing Taotao could do (Boom if they had a pitbike) is offer a pitbike with lighting and see if they could fudge the MCO by having it state 'Motorcycle' on it. It would be the same situation as the Orion pitbike where some states would plate it and some not, but the advantage for Taotao is their pitbikes are off-road legal in California whereas none of the Orions are. Having lighting on any off-road bike makes sense whether one can plate it or not from a safety standpoint. The fall, winter, and early spring, it gets dark early, and one can get caught out in the middle of nowhere at night.

Several Pitster Pro full-size and pitbikes are actually Red Sticker legal for California, believe it or not, so it would be smart to get one that has lighting for the sake of safety, even if there was a snowball's chance in hell of plating it there.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post

The other thing Taotao could do (Boom if they had a pitbike) is offer a pitbike with lighting and see if they could fudge the MCO by having it state 'Motorcycle' on it. It would be the same situation as the Orion pitbike where some states would plate it and some not, but the advantage for Taotao is their pitbikes are off-road legal in California whereas none of the Orions are. Having lighting on any off-road bike makes sense whether one can plate it or not from a safety standpoint. The fall, winter, and early spring, it gets dark early, and one can get caught out in the middle of nowhere at night.

I'm in Maine, all we need is lights and DOT approved tires to be street legal. If it says motorcycle on the MCO you wouldn't even need a pre-inspection to make sure its street legal.

Old 11-28-2019, 02:40 AM   #12

1quart

Old 04-03-2021, 07:27 PM   #13

Can anyone help just gut a new dbx1 frome the dealership I gut it home it starts up nice but wen I pout it in gear and let go of the clutch it shuts off but as long as I keep the clutch in it will ideal fin ???

Old 04-04-2021, 01:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
Can anyone help just gut a new dbx1 frome the dealership I gut it home it starts up nice but wen I pout it in gear and let go of the clutch it shuts off but as long as I keep the clutch in it will ideal fin ???
adjust your clutch. it's probably not disengaging all the way.