Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2016, 09:50 PM   #1

Low Buck AC For My Garage

Because I was whining about the awful heat this past week, Weldandgrind posted a Youtube video on how to make a really cheap AC unit. Well, I made one and after a hiccup or two, it works. Of course, I had to make it my own and did things just a bit differently.

Behold, the Wheezy Green Cheesy Breeze Machine.

The bugger consists of an old Coleman 48 qt cooler, two 2" 45* PVC elbows, two 2" PVC couplers, two Delco style plugs, a 12v 1.5a fan, a project box, a switch, a 12v 3a power supply, and a whack of zip ties.

I didn't take pics of the build because "I was making it up as I go". As such, I wasn't even sure it would work. But here is why I used the 45* elbows and couplers.

The couplers fit tightly into the drink holders located in the lid. I added some RTV to keep them in place. The elbows slip in the couplers and I can move them where I want.

I didn't have a lot of ice available for a major test but I did have enough to see that it will work.

Temp in the garage. This was actually comfortable compared to the past few weeks.

After a few minutes run time.

After I got smart and opened the bag, then let the fan blow directly on the ice.

With hindsight being 20/20, I would have not used the Delco plugs and, instead, would have installed an 'M' style 5mm female jack in the switch box. I could have just plugged the power supply into the box. Too soon old, too late smart.

I'll pick up a 5lb bag of ice tomorrow, close up the garage, let it run for a few hours and see if it cools things down a smidge.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 08-16-2016, 10:53 PM   #2

Glad you have something figured out ,the swamp cooler is a neat item to play with ,they work great in a tent too .

Old 08-16-2016, 11:00 PM   #3

Very cool! LOL I said a funny.

Just curious why the 12v fan, switch and other doodads as opposed to a regular 110 fan with a switch on the back of it? Planning on using it out on the road?

/

Old 08-16-2016, 11:01 PM   #4

By the way see if you can find someone that sells block ice or even better dry ice. Our local grocery store Publix sells all types of ice.

/

Old 08-17-2016, 02:03 AM   #5

What I would worry about is humidity build up and rust on tools. I insulated my garage minimumly and stuffed a elcheepo Walmart 5000btu unit thru the wall at the 6ft level. Don't use it much but it does a nice job for its size.

The humidity right now in ar. Is horrible. I have a 20" oscillating fan upside down off the ceiling running 24/7 to protect a mini lathe, micro mill, and all the tools that go with them. If the humidity settles it going to ruin stuff even with oil coating. Last year it took a long time to remove light surface rust and too lazy to do it this year.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Very cool! LOL I said a funny.

Just curious why the 12v fan, switch and other doodads as opposed to a regular 110 fan with a switch on the back of it? Planning on using it out on the road?

/
Two reasons for the 12V fan. The first thought was to be able to use my small solar panel to run it. My garage door faces west and I'm most likely to be puttering around in there after work, during the warmest part of the day. But the panel only puts out 0.1A@20V max, which I didn't learn until after I built it.

Second reason is to be able to use it in our camper. If 110V is available, I just plug the power supply into the lone outlet in the camper. If 110 isn't available, I can plug into the 12V supply.

jct-The thought had crossed my mind, but I've had 21 years of Great Lakes summer humidity here and nary a problem with rust on the tools. But I will keep an eye on things just in case this thing tips the balance.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 08-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #7

When I was in Japan 47 years ago many buildings used ice for cooling. Their method was to put a block of ice on a pedestal about 4' high and place those around the room. No fans needed.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #8

I like the adjustable elbows! Every time I see one of these on the 'net, I learn something new.
X2 on Adjuster's suggestion of block ice.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #9

If humidity becomes a problem, you can capture it with calcium chloride; it's a trick I use in my trailer in the winter.

Just pick up a colander / strainer at the local dollar store, and find a pail that it can sit on (I found a small mop bucket at the dollar store that worked perfectly). Pour some generic calcium chloride into the colander, and moisture will be trapped and directed into the pail. Dri-Z-Air is the commercial stuff, but I get the generic version for cheap at the local RV place.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-18-2016, 06:53 AM   #10

First real test last night.

It did not cool down the garage after three hours. It did, however, keep the area I was working in comfortable. That's what counts. Had I used a 22lb bag of ice, or blocks, instead of a 7lb bag, I'm sure the results would have been different. I'm happy.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 08-28-2016, 11:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
If humidity becomes a problem, you can capture it with calcium chloride; it's a trick I use in my trailer in the winter.

Just pick up a colander / strainer at the local dollar store, and find a pail that it can sit on (I found a small mop bucket at the dollar store that worked perfectly). Pour some generic calcium chloride into the colander, and moisture will be trapped and directed into the pail. Dri-Z-Air is the commercial stuff, but I get the generic version for cheap at the local RV place.
I use something similar but get silica gel. It's not a gel-it looks like salt. You can get it for cheap at a craft store, it's used for drying flowers. I put it a 1/2 inch deep in an open shoe box. When you're done, it can be dried in the oven, put into a baggie for storage, and re-used over and over. I've used this for years storing cars over the winter to keep the insides fresh and dry.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #12

you guys like it cold! at least your summer is short! i think 25-30 degrees celsius are okay...