Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #1

Jim's Gio Beast

While I haven't really been in the market for an atv, but I've been keeping an eye out (as may have been noticed in the craigslist topic)... I would also add in that the enablers (or as some prefer to be called facilitators) also aided in leaning me towards buying one...

The other thing was I'm pretty cheap, there was a few recently I was looking at but the first one sold just before I made the guy an offer and the second was asking more then I wanted to pay...

I figured I would just be patient and wait for the right deal to pop up on craigslist. Well it didn't... It turns out my sisters boyfriend had one he wanted to get rid of. And when he was describing it he threw in the, well it's just one of those Chinese knockoffs... I liked the way it was going... He did tell me it needed work and wasn't running. The body is taken off it, and he untied the wires to try and trace the issue. He figures it's the coil. I didn't want to make an offer and offend him however, so he finally came up with a number and said he'd be happy to get a hundred bucks for it! I think I found my deal

So I picked it up today (my dad took me over with his truck since I've only got my car on the road). It does need work. The front left tire was flat. The headlight lens is broken (missing completely). There is a crack in the weld on one of the swing arms cross members. The counter sprocket cover is missing (it was broken when the chain snapped in the past apparently), if anyone knows where I can find one cheap that would be great. The levers and one of the perches are junk. One of the cooling fins is cracked, and the cooling fan is missing from the fan body. And it needs to get running again. I'd say the worst part is the wiring, it doesn't look like any of the connectors are connected anymore, and it's not all there. I think it's mostly there. The coil and plug wire are missing, but he said he has it and will get it to me. He told me when we picked it up if there is anything else he'll find it for me. Oh and the battery is working. I think that's it for now...

I still need to finish my 350 Honda, but it doesn't have a lot left, so I may work on this before too long. If I get it running I want to get it put back together and do the upgrades Weld&Grind and TurboT recommend. Carb, shocks, exhaust, etc...

One thing, I believe it has a twist grip throttle, is that something that the older beasts had? The pics I see in the auction have the thumb throttle...

It was made in 2007 according to the sticker. I don't know if it's a zong or lifan engine, I'm going to try and clean the motor off a bit so I can read the stamp on it.

I threw the plastic on just to have a look at it.