Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #1

Hi Gaijin.

Riding a Benelli indicates you are an experienced rider, and with that comes knowing that each machine has it's pros, cons, and limitations.

I've not gone to a big bore simply because I've learned over the decades that trying to make a bike something that it is not, just consumes money that could be more wisely invested in a more suitable bike. The RX3 is a quite capable 250. Change sprockets, change bars & seat and such to suit your comfort, but don't try to make it a budget KLR or DR 650.

If there is an alternate paper filter, I am not aware of it. As DPL096 has said, some have gone over to a washable metal filter. I have chosen to continue to order filters in the six-pack from CSC primarily because I believe in supporting the company (and the owner) that invested the money and effort to get the bike(s) emissions certified, upload the tutorials, and keep parts in stock (far better than my local Honda dealers) for us.

The only overheating incidents I recall were from low coolant levels. The whole system of 2 radiators, hoses and engine only take about 1 liter of fluid, so keeping it full is essential. As Peter said, they tend to run cool and a higher temp 'stat is a good idea to keep the engine happy, boil off water from the oil, and make the fuel injection run optimum. Note to self: I really should do Peter's upgrade.

Hope this helps. Happy riding.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Riding a Benelli indicates you are an experienced rider, and with that comes knowing that each machine has it's pros, cons, and limitations.
Most definitely. Experienced, yes, 40 years riding on and off. And I hope I've adequately researched the RX3 to be aware of its limitations. I know some bought it with high expectations and were disappointed; I hope to have the opposite experience.

Quote:
I've not gone to a big bore simply because I've learned over the decades that trying to make a bike something that it is not, just consumes money that could be more wisely invested in a more suitable bike.
You're speaking the truth. I'm a customizer and modifier, I can't help it, but I was looking at adding a 124 kit to my Harley and the cost, when all was said and done, would have been upwards of six thousand dollars. I got the RX3 for less than half that, and hopefully opened up a new field of riding in my garage.

That said... two hundred bucks for the big bore kit... it calls to me...

Quote:
but don't try to make it a budget KLR or DR 650.
Again, agreed. I'm more of a mind that I'll make it the best RX3 it can be, with the understanding that some parts make things worse if not done right. The big bore kit caught my eye because someone (maybe nzbrakelathes) said that it actually ships as a stock 283cc engine in other models, so that sounded promising.

Quote:
I have chosen to continue to order filters in the six-pack from CSC primarily because I believe in supporting the company (and the owner) that invested the money and effort to get the bike(s) emissions certified, upload the tutorials, and keep parts in stock (far better than my local Honda dealers) for us.
I agree with supporting local dealerships and importers that bring fun new things like this to us. My experience with CSC has already been very good, and I'm not even an owner yet. I'll be ordering the filters in bulk; I was just trying to get one right away as I don't want to run up 1300 more miles on the original filter. As said, CSC is making it happen, so it's all good.

Quote:
Hope this helps. Happy riding.
Thanks!