Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #1

Any Plumbers Out There!? HELP!

Hi all.....
As I've posted in the past....I've been helping out our friend who's husband 'untimely' passed away two years ago, with the log house I've posted pics of....and after the 'big' repairs to bring it back into shape, obviously, it's also been one thing after another in other smaller areas.....such as this. I get the call..... 8O

"Bill! I pulled out the knob to fill the tub for my granddaughter....and when I pushed it in....it wont work right! When my son messed with it, it came all the way out! Water going everywhere! He got it back together but it's about 30% shower/70% tub!" :x :(

I said...."Don't mess with it. It's working. I'll check it out..." :roll:

So, I went back up last weekend. It's a Moen (Moentrol) valve, installed in about 1960. Brass. Nice piece of work to handle her horrible 'well water' after all there years.
I've been to all the major box stores in Sacramento.... nothing. :( I've been to the Moen website and they don't have this valve listed anymore. :x All I need to do is repair the simple crossover between shower and tub. :?

There's one old "Mom and Pop they got everything" plumbing store I'm checking out tomorrow. Fingers crossed.......
If any of you'z guy'z are plumbers and know what this is....please point me in the right direction!
I don't want to have to tear the wall out, unsweat the entire assembly and install a new one! After all I'm no contractor but....it's not like her husband left her Trump Plaza just to "Call the Man."

Here's the culprit....

Here's the guts.....looks totally replaceable....if I can just find the parts.

Thanks for any input!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #2

I haven't worked on that specific valve, but I've serviced several like it. If you undo the gland nut around the stem, you'll likely find a gland nut packing inside that stops leakage out the front (probably in the form of a graphite cylinder). There will also likely be a milled section in the shaft that directs the water flow from the tub to the shower, and it will probably have an o-ring on it. Just undo the gland nut and take the parts to the Mom and Pop shop; they'll probably identify it and set you up.

If no joy, post more photos here. Good luck.

BTW, don't un-sweat pipes. Just cut 'em and try Shark Bites if it gets to that point. Much less stress.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #3

I have what appears to be the exact model in my home. Surprised it is not supported by the company. That was one of the reasons I chose it.

One thing that comes to mind, It might have been discontinued if it is older and does not blend the hot and cold water allowing hot water only and a scallding hazard.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #4

I bet a big plumbing supply place will have all the parts.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #5

Even if the mixing valve has been discontinued, the diverter valve will likely be the same as units manufactured since then.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #6

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm taking off work early today to try to chase this stuff down. The plumbing supply store I want to hit....I discovered after running back down the hill to town last Saturday.....ISN'T OPEN ON WEEKENDS! :evil:

Another option I thought of is if the diverter guts are no longer available, would it be possible to pull the guts, brass cap it off and then replace the tub spout with one that has a diverter in it???????

That has been one of the biggest problems with working on her place.....I can't disable anything and take it with me on a recon. She lives almost 2 hours away, out in the sticks, far from any store and odds are, I'm not coming back that day, so she'd be without whatever I disabled....water, this time. Not an option.
Thank God for digital cameras!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 11-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #7

You might have to get creative with the cap, but yeah, you could switch to a tub spigot diverter. Just be sure about what type and length is on there now, so you don't have any fitment issues. It will most likely spin onto 1/2" male NPT or slip onto 1/2" copper pipe with a setscrew; I hope it's the former. If necessary, you could easily sweat a 1/2" male nipple onto the pipe to change to the spin-on type.

If you choose to change the spigot, make sure that all of the operators know to run the water to temperature, shut it off, gently pull the diverter and then turn the water back on. I've probably changed more than 50 spigots where the knob has been pulled right out, because it's acting against the full volume and pressure of the fill spout. Mind you, I work with 3/4" stuff that has higher pressure, but still.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #8

Holy cow! How depressing! :(

I took off work early to go to "the plumbing store that's not open on weekends"...who's supposed to have everything..and from the SECOND I walked in...I went over Niagra Falls without even as much as a pickle barrell! 8O

It went like this:

Can I help you?
Yes! I brought these pics. I need to rebuild this diverter assembly.
Ohhhhhhhh.....that's not good. Not good at all. (Head shakin')
'Scuse me?
Wow...Hmmmmm.... (obviously, I wasn't the quick sale)
It's a diverter valve. Not a nuclear reactor.

He checks with another guy.....if they can find something, it's in a binder the thickness of Fastdocs college books.
He starts flipping pages. Completely uninterested....just burning clock.

Nope....hmmmm. Nope. You'll have to bring it in.
Not an option. She lives 2 hours out in the middle of no where.
How about if I cap it of and put on a diverter nozzle into the tub?
Nope....wouldn't do that. Don't try it. It can't be done. Wow....this is at least....4-6 weeks out on special order.
YOU CAN'T EVEN FIND IT! HOW DO YOU KNOW IT'S 4-6 WEEKS OUT!? :x
Just is....we need to see it.
That makes no sense. Are you telling me that I may have to replace the enire valve assembly over a few o-rings or something stupid? :roll:
Most likely.
Not gonna happen. I'll just inform her that she's going to have to shower in a pee dribble for the rest of her natural born life. Thanks for all yer help.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

I gotta tell ya........ :roll:

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 11-24-2010, 12:57 AM   #9

That sucks. I know a Mom and Pop shop in Abbotsford that will probably have the parts, and I'd be happy to mail them to you.

Wanna take the gland nut off of the diverter and show me? I know it's a long drive, but this doesn't seem to be fixing itself.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That sucks. I know a Mom and Pop shop in Abbotsford that will probably have the parts, and I'd be happy to mail them to you.

Wanna take the gland nut off of the diverter and show me? I know it's a long drive, but this doesn't seem to be fixing itself.
Thanks for the offer, WAG! I'll keep you posted, for sure.
We spoke last night and have decided that before I tear anything more apart and possibly disable something, we need to finish her other small shower first. That's just a matter of backer board, some Marlite and a shower curtain. That way, if this one has to be accidently down for a while, she won't have to shower at work!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 11-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #11

Excellent idea. It would also be wise to stop at Lowes and grab an assorted bag of o-rings, washers and packings. it'll only cost a few bucks, and it might allow you to dismantle the diverter valve, photograph it and then fix it.

You're a good guy for helping her, 2LZ.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #12

is it the diverter that you are looking for? Maybe Moen pn 1198 would work. It is for modles prior to 06/02.
Here is a pic. http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/M...01531/Cat/1198

Old 11-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #13

And it ships for free! You can even like it on Facebook!

It sure would be nice if that did the trick.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #14

Wow! That looks promising! Now I can't wait to tear it apart! With any luck....it could work...even if I have to just swap guts.

Man....I have to tell you, The China Riders community is an awesome one! I'd like to thank you guys for all your help and concern. This poor gal was really left in a lurch a couple years ago and it's nice to know that folks everywhere, no matter how extended, are willing to lend a hand.

You guys refresh the meaning of "Happy Thanksgiving!"

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 11-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #15

If that is it, with the PN you should be able to find it locally.