Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2022, 12:00 PM   #1

Looking for advice. First time rider

Hello everyone!

I am a first time rider and am looking at a couple bikes to start on. I would love to get some input from you guys.

I am 5'10 170lbs. I live in the county so it would be mostly used on country roads (55mph limit). However I would be taking it on the highway in some cases (65mph limit). So something that could handle going 65 for sometime is a plus. I wont be going on long road trips. Just 20 - 30 highway miles to go to a friends or something.

That being said here are my top choices:

1. Venom Ghost 250cc - Out of stock but Venom said they expect it to be back in October.

2. CSC SG 250 - Great looking bike. Good customer support.

I love the style of these 2 bikes and am open to any other similar choices that you guys have.

I do have other toys that I work on (UTV, Snowmobiles.) so im no stranger to getting a little greasy. There are some performance enhancing mods that ive seen on the site that I would be doing. Sprocket change seems to be a must and is simple to do. What else would you recommend?

What do you think? Are these enough bike for driving on back country roads with the occasional highway rides?

Thank you everyone for the advice. Im super excited to get started. Only wish I did this sooner as winter is approaching and living in Buffalo, NY is not ideal riding conditions during that time.

Old 09-06-2022, 01:17 PM   #2

you have to spend a little more, but I'd go with the Lifan KPX250. it's a true 250 giving you a little more HP, but also a 6 speed to help out on the highway.

there's a few options in the 400cc category that will be better for highway, but of course, more expensive.

Old 09-06-2022, 01:46 PM   #3

Personally, I would go with the CSC San Gabriel. I think that may actually be my next bike, but I would absolutely recommend getting the CSC SG-400 rather than the 250. As a first time rider, the extra 150cc's of displacement aren't really enough to get you into any trouble, but will definitely be handy once you really get a feel for the bike and are more comfortable going with the flow of traffic. I can't stress enough that if you're not familiar with street riding, find a motorcycle riders course near you and take that. Those courses are worth their weight in gold, and at the end you get a certificate to take to the local DMV and get your motorcycle endorsement without having to do the road course there. It sounds like you have your needs pretty well figured out, but everything you've mentioned is just that; what you actually envision using the motorcycle for. The reality is that once you get it and learn your way around riding it, you're going to find excuses to get out and ride at the drop of a hat. Need a gallon of milk? Take the bike! Pretty day and you have a couple hours off? Take the bike! Just running some errands around town? You guessed it, Take the bike! Hope this helps a little bit, please keep us all posted with what you decide to do!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 09-06-2022, 02:07 PM   #4

You can save a few bucks and go with a 2021 RZ3S Haylon 400 as they are on sale right now. https://cscmotorcycles.com/rz3s-haylon-400-midnight/
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-06-2022, 02:08 PM   #5

The SG-400 is around $5700 delivered. For a first-time guy, doing what he describes, I think the far cheaper KPX or the SG-250, both around $3200 delivered, would be a better choice. Just dial in the gearing you want and go. Maybe a little carb jetting for the CSC.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 09-06-2022, 02:55 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. The KPX250 is nice but just not the style im looking for.

I was looking at the SG 400's but the extra $$ doesnt seem to be worth it right now.

RZ3S Haylon 400 looks nice as well but seems to be to "sporty" for me.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:17 PM   #7

So do you think those two I posted have enough juice (even with mods) or should I spread out my options and go bigger?

Old 09-06-2022, 03:20 PM   #8

The extra money for the 400cc version will pay for itself in the long term, but it really depends on what you think things will look like for you over that period. Regardless, wish you all the best with your two-wheeled adventures!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 09-06-2022, 03:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpapa2309 View Post
So do you think those two I posted have enough juice (even with mods) or should I spread out my options and go bigger?
For how you plan to ride it, a 250 with the right gearing would do the job. Only you know your financial priorities. I am a proponent of "buy once, cry once", IE get the thing you will ultimately go to in the future, if you can afford it. That said, I would not advise starting with a mega-HP bike of course. But maybe that's not your agenda or interest. Since you brought up 250s in a certain price range, I am supposing you want to keep it there. Sensible.
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:23 PM   #10

I'd do the SG400. For a new bike, that's a good price. The power will keep you happy for quite a while. You also won't feel quite as under pressure while doing those short highway sprints. I ride similarly with my KPM200, and I'm honestly, getting upset with it. But, I've also been spoiled, as my first bike is a 2017 KTM RC390, and my other street bike is a 2018 Yamaha MT-10. Both of which, I miss riding for my morning commutes.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:27 AM   #11

what I have always found is that once I get past the initial hurdles of learning to ride or learning a bike, it often ends up with wishing I had a bit more power to do more. it's really a question of your finances, but I would buy the biggest motor you can afford. it will save you buying something bigger later on. Based on what you are looking to do, for my own selection, I would not get anything with less than a 6 speed tranny.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
what I have always found is that once I get past the initial hurdles of learning to ride or learning a bike, it often ends up with wishing I had a bit more power to do more. it's really a question of your finances, but I would buy the biggest motor you can afford. it will save you buying something bigger later on. Based on what you are looking to do, for my own selection, I would not get anything with less than a 6 speed tranny.
I notice that the SG250 is only 16 HP and a 5-speed. A 230cc OHV motor. So yeah, a bit marginal for highway use. My X-pect was a 14 HP 5-speed, and I felt it was not enough even when optimally geared. Both bikes weigh about the same. A true 250cc with OHC and a 6-speed would be much better. Or larger displacement with a 5-speed.

Old 09-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #13

Came here to say, CSC RE3. If you’re going to be doing runs on the highway regularly, so at least consider a 400. And with that - the brakes that can go with that (ABS), larger fuel tank (5 gal), EFI, 6-speed, etc. I’d offer the Genuine 400 as a good alternative but 6th gear, over time, really will offer a whole lot of added options, to include resale later. No reason you couldn’t throw some bags on an RE3 and go see America, really.

Old 09-07-2022, 02:47 PM   #14

I wont be going highway routes that often. I plan on trying to stay off them but if I have to go 10-15 miles on it I want something that can keep up. I was looking at the SG400 and with shipping and everything it would be over 2k more which I just cant do

Old 09-07-2022, 02:59 PM   #15

(And I had intended to include the KPM200 in my comment, but thought I would split it apart - I am unsure if it will trigger an airing of the grievances from u/Falkon45 or not.) But if you want want to keep things at 250cc, KPM200 is also in this range, though with a different look. It does, though, bring with it a 6-speed, EFI, disc brakes front and rear, just a 3.5gal (I think) fuel tank but what would probably be better fuel efficiency. I know that you can supercharge it really, really easily [link], so it's got that going for it, too.

I'm not really sure how much of a difference 250vs400 would make to a new rider. I rode sparingly in my teens, but like a lot of these other old farts, came to actively riding later in life again. I fell into a bike that I could not pass up - and it happened to be an 863cc, 5-speed, 14l fuel tank, head turner, ride-every-day kind of bike. I just... respected it. Honestly, I'd say, buy the bike that gives you the stupid grin. All of these bikes are going to make you turn wrenches on them - there's no taking them to the dealer, so that's a part of the smile, too. Throwing a leg over is suppose to bring joy.