Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2023, 08:52 AM   #1

Doordashing for a KPX!

It's already halfway through April, and by May 1st, I'll be making my final payment on my Lifan X-pect motorcycle. I have to say, I'm super excited. I had a GY5 back in 2008, and I loved it. I fully expect to have a good time on this bike as well.

The main issue I had with my GY5 is that I was always worried about the build quality. I was afraid that the thing would fall apart underneath me, and that was one of the factors that led to me selling it. Looking back on that, I realize how stupid I was and how much I had bought into the negative propaganda. In reality, it was a well-built bike. I was ignoring what was right in front of my eyes.

Anyway, I've been doing some research on becoming a DoorDash driver in my area, and it turns out that I can do it on a motorcycle. So I'm going to get myself a box and some saddlebags. My goal is to use the proceeds from my DoorDashing to purchase the next step up Lifan, which is the KPX 250. I don't particularly care for the styling of it, but it's clearly a step up, and the price is pretty tempting.

That's my goal: to use the DoorDash money to finance the purchase of the KPX 250. Whether or not I can achieve this remains to be seen. I've always been a very unpredictable kind of neurotic person. To be honest with you, I'm over 50 years old, and this is the first time in my life that I've purchased something on layaway larger than a Christmas gift. I'm kind of proud of myself for being able to make the sacrifices I did each month to make that payment.

So, I'm going to do what I have to do to break the bike in properly, buy the necessary equipment I need to carry a little bit of stuff, and I'm going to DoorDash. Why not? I live in a small city, and there is a market for it here. The traffic's not too bad, and the cost of living is low. I think I can make it work.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me. I know I can be a bit of a nutcase, and it gets tiresome, but thank you anyway. I will keep you informed of my escapades.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:15 AM   #2

I think it's a great idea. I hope you do well with your venture.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-14-2023, 10:25 AM   #3

The KPV150 could be a good option for delivery bike. It looks like there's an option for luggage.
https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...d-street-legal

2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-14-2023, 05:32 PM   #4

Can it be done on a motorcycle? Yes... Should it be done especially if you want to make decent money as a Dasher? Probably not....I have been dashing for close to a year now and am a Top Dasher. There are actually quite a few times i have had to reject dashes because of my vehicle being unsuitable and i drive a full size pickup with all sorts of space in it. Big money orders like grocery runs and Shop and deliver runs are out of the question with a motorcycle. Same with Pizza deliveries (another big ticket item) You will be quite limited in not only what you can take and what you can earn being limited to a bike.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 04-14-2023, 07:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Can it be done on a motorcycle? Yes... Should it be done especially if you want to make decent money as a Dasher? Probably not....I have been dashing for close to a year now and am a Top Dasher. There are actually quite a few times i have had to reject dashes because of my vehicle being unsuitable and i drive a full size pickup with all sorts of space in it. Big money orders like grocery runs and Shop and deliver runs are out of the question with a motorcycle. Same with Pizza deliveries (another big ticket item) You will be quite limited in not only what you can take and what you can earn being limited to a bike.
That is making me think hard about it, but I only want to make maybe an extra $200 a month, maybe more. I get benefits from Uncle Sam that would be affected, so I have a limit on what I can earn. I don't know. I wish I could just deliver booze to this area. One thing we have around here is people who enjoy drinking. You really rained on my parade, but what you say makes sense. I guess I should do way more research before I commit.

Old 04-15-2023, 03:27 PM   #6

Ok, I know it’s not ideal to not have a car, but you sure could have a lot of fun using your bike to do this.

You may not have the same goals has a full-time Dasher. Or one that’s trying to make Maxximum money per hour.

learn from the pros. There are a lot of places where people don’t use cars to make food deliveries. For instance New York City.

they definitely make pizza boxes to fit on bicycles. That’s the way they have delivered pizzas in New York since the dawn of time. They just hop on a bicycle with a big box on it. that’s how they still do it for DoorDash in New York. Or you could put one on a motorcycle.

doesn’t even have to be permanent. You could put together something on your own that you could lash to the backseat of an xpect. I know is I have lashed a lot of things back there myself. I even moved a queen mattress a quarter of a mile to a dumpster with my xpect.

get too discouraged. If you get a nice tall box on the back of that thing at least as big as an extra extra large pizza, you’re pretty good. Maybe some shelves in there. You’ll be able to hold a lot and it will stay warm.

I think it sounds fun.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Ok, I know it’s not ideal to not have a car, but you sure could have a lot of fun using your bike to do this.

You may not have the same goals has a full-time Dasher. Or one that’s trying to make Maxximum money per hour.

learn from the pros. There are a lot of places where people don’t use cars to make food deliveries. For instance New York City.

they definitely make pizza boxes to fit on bicycles. That’s the way they have delivered pizzas in New York since the dawn of time. They just hop on a bicycle with a big box on it. that’s how they still do it for DoorDash in New York. Or you could put one on a motorcycle.

doesn’t even have to be permanent. You could put together something on your own that you could lash to the backseat of an xpect. I know is I have lashed a lot of things back there myself. I even moved a queen mattress a quarter of a mile to a dumpster with my xpect.

get too discouraged. If you get a nice tall box on the back of that thing at least as big as an extra extra large pizza, you’re pretty good. Maybe some shelves in there. You’ll be able to hold a lot and it will stay warm.

I think it sounds fun.
I am not trying to make a bunch of money, just an extra couple of hundred that Uncle Sam won't get all up in my business over. I have discovered too late in life that I have to set goals. Pretty pathetic but that is what happens when you spend most of your life on psychiatric medications which don't address the root of the problem, just bandage the pain. anyway. thanks!

Old 04-17-2023, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:

I think it sounds fun.

Two problems with this idea:

1: Raises the COG of the motorcycle significantly with anything that can handle more then 2 pizzas. Making the bike more top heavy and potentially less stable to control.

2: Lean angles of a motorcycle: Where this comes into play is you need to avoid having the pizzas sliding side to side inside the box and damaging the product. On a scooter or bicycle it is easier to maintain a near vertical position at the lower speeds but not so much so on an actual bike. Take one turn even slightly aggressively either to avoid an accident or just because you got spirited trying to keep a good pace...goodbye profits because you just now paid for the pizza you ruined out of your own pay.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 04-17-2023, 12:08 PM   #9

I don't want to deliver pizza. just a couple of hundred a month delivering whatever i can. Screw it, I will just deliver cannabis then. Thanks for turning me to a life of crime!!!!

Old 04-17-2023, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Two problems with this idea:

1: Raises the COG of the motorcycle significantly with anything that can handle more then 2 pizzas. Making the bike more top heavy and potentially less stable to control.

2: Lean angles of a motorcycle: Where this comes into play is you need to avoid having the pizzas sliding side to side inside the box and damaging the product. On a scooter or bicycle it is easier to maintain a near vertical position at the lower speeds but not so much so on an actual bike. Take one turn even slightly aggressively either to avoid an accident or justbecause you got spirited trying to keep a good pace...goodbye profits because you just now paid for the pizza you ruined out of your own pay.
Answering by number.

1) Who cares? I put like 100 pounds back there all the time when I’m going on various overnight camping trips and stuff. On the same bike he is using for his deliveries. It’s really no big deal if you figure out how to ride it. Pretty sure 20 pounds of food is not going to cause anybody to crash. I’ve also carried just as much groceries as that. Four of those largest possible shopping bags filled to the absolute brim. With cans and bottles and dry goods. Milk. A lot of weight. It doesn’t matter. You just have to know how to ride with a load. It’s no different than when your truck has a bunch of weight in the back. You just have to ride differently.

2) here’s a picture of the forces that are involved in cornering a motorcycle. Guess which one the pizza is governed by?

Hint: The force governing the pizza does not change where the cheese goes even if it is very very runny.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
I don't want to deliverpizza. just a couple of hundred a month delivering whatever i can. Screw it, I will just deliver cannabis then. Thanks for turning me to a life of crime!!!!
Don’t get discouraged. I think the DoorDash responder above, while he definitely is right about a giant vehicle be an easier, is wrong that you can’t carry these things on a bike. You can carry anything on a bike. How do you think they do it in cities and in third world countries?

They even make tons of special boxes that you can buy right off the shelf. Or if you want to save some money you could just make some out of plywood. This is really not a big deal. I have no idea why darkrider doesn’t understand how to do this stuff.

It’s not that difficult.

Old 04-17-2023, 05:28 PM   #12

Check this guy out he does work on a Honda ruckus. Has his own kit and stuff and does really well. I’ve thought about doing it multiple times myself just can’t get away from the family to pick up another hustle.

https://youtube.com/@wilcer

Old 04-18-2023, 10:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Answering by number.

1) Who cares? I put like 100 pounds back there all the time when I’m going on various overnight camping trips and stuff. On the same bike he is using for his deliveries. It’s really no big deal if you figure out how to ride it. Pretty sure 20 pounds of food is not going to cause anybody to crash. I’ve also carried just as much groceries as that. Four of those largest possible shopping bags filled to the absolute brim. With cans and bottles and dry goods. Milk. A lot of weight. It doesn’t matter. You just have to know how to ride with a load. It’s no different than when your truck has a bunch of weight in the back. You just have to ride differently.

2) here’s a picture of the forces that are involved in cornering a motorcycle. Guess which one the pizza is governed by?

Hint: The force governing the pizza does not change where the cheese goes even if it is very very runny.

1: The box needed to properly insulate and keep product hot will come close to that. It isnt the weight that is the issue it is the load that is shifting to side that is. Now picture a passenger that leans further or against you in a turn. What is that going to do to your balance? This one can be mitigated by experience once you get used to that uncontrolled constantly shifting load.

2: it isn't the forces demonstrated im concerned about its the fact you are literally tilting the pizza box (or drinks or whatever food product is in cup or boxes) on their side basically causing them to start to attempt to spill out due to angle not centrifugal forces For a practical demonstration of what im trying to explain. Take a cup of water...without a lid and tilt it to the angles a motorcycle reaches.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-18-2023, 04:07 PM   #14

Since my dreams of DoorDashing were crushed by that person who had to ruin everything, I'm left with nothing but a risky and desperate option. Somehow, I've managed to get my hands on a Hawk 250 (carbed). This saved me about $400.

I guess I'll use that money to make some mods. It's funny how life can make you settle for less, even when you've dreamed of something greater. But I suppose that's what happens when your dreams are crushed - you're left with nothing but broken pieces.

thanks. . .

Old 04-18-2023, 05:16 PM   #15

I'll take some weed.