Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2024, 04:34 PM   #1

Apollo 250cc starter problem

Hi all,

My cousin and I bought new (2021 from warehouse) 250cc Apollo 36C bikes. We're both entirely new to the world of dirt bikes, so we're learning as we go.

The bikes kick start fine and run fine, except the electric starter isn't working for either of us. While the bike runs, if you hit the starter you can hear it clicking under the seat, so it's definitely getting power I think? I just checked and wire brushed the ground wire beside where the starter is mounted, and still a no-go.

Any ideas/ thoughts would be much appreciated

Old 04-08-2024, 05:45 PM   #2

Charge the battery

Old 04-08-2024, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Charge the battery
Better yet replace the battery with a gel battery, oddly enough, mine showed up last year (new 2021 model) with a dead battery, the hot wire to the starter was also loose on mine. A few other tips, sooner rather than later check and almost certainly loosen the valves, mine and from my understanding almost all of these bikes show up with no valve clearance, if it runs like crap once it warms up that is probably what your issue is. I would also recommend dropping 20 bucks on amazon or ebay for a new adjustable pz30 carb, the stock one is tamper proof and they are tuned from the factory way too lean. Check the rear sprocket before each ride, I havent found enough locktite to keep that sucker tight yet. Change the oil before you ride it also if brand new. Other than that I have really loved my bike as a trail bike and for the money it cant be beat in my opinion, Ive got 130+ hours on mine and havent had any major issues yet (knock on wood). I recently rode my friends TTR and another friends CRF and honestly as a total package I like my bike better than theirs.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWBTR View Post
Better yet replace the battery with a gel battery, oddly enough, mine showed up last year (new 2021 model) with a dead battery, the hot wire to the starter was also loose on mine. A few other tips, sooner rather than later check and almost certainly loosen the valves, mine and from my understanding almost all of these bikes show up with no valve clearance, if it runs like crap once it warms up that is probably what your issue is. I would also recommend dropping 20 bucks on amazon or ebay for a new adjustable pz30 carb, the stock one is tamper proof and they are tuned from the factory way too lean. Check the rear sprocket before each ride, I havent found enough locktite to keep that sucker tight yet. Change the oil before you ride it also if brand new. Other than that I have really loved my bike as a trail bike and for the money it cant be beat in my opinion, Ive got 130+ hours on mine and havent had any major issues yet (knock on wood). I recently rode my friends TTR and another friends CRF and honestly as a total package I like my bike better than theirs.
I replaced the battery first thing with a DieHard (so I didn't have to mess around with the acid and such), and it was still not even attempting to turn over. I'll definitely check the hot wire, and was thinking of just throwing some dielectric in the connections? It usually runs fine once it's warmed up, but also acts very cold blooded, like taking a good 15-20mins to warm up so I can take it off half choke.

I did ride it around the yard last night, shut it off, hit the electric start just for sh*ts and giggles and it worked. Rode some more and then it wouldn't work

Old 04-10-2024, 09:06 AM   #5

Sounds like a bad starter button or seloind bad,try jumping the seloind.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:31 PM   #6

Follow the positive battery wire and look if the fuse is blown mine was.. there’s a extra one in there mines was cracked/or blown and make sure your plus and minus is tightly screwed to battery

Old 04-18-2024, 05:53 AM   #7

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34080

The above thread has some basic things to test on the charging system.

Definitely check that the wires are connected securely as well.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:15 AM   #8

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34080

The above thread has some basic things to test on the charging system.

Definitely check that the wires are connected securely as well.
Is the Templar like the the db 36

Tags
apollo 250cc, electrical issue, starter