Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2023, 10:11 AM   #16

Back problems are no joke. Hang in there and heal up quick Sport Rider! Broke my back in a bike crash a few years ago. Am now recuperating from surgery on L4 to remove muscle that grew into my spinal column pinching off the spinal cord. Pain in back and legs was finally unbearable. Pain below the waist is gone and regaining feeling in legs and feet. It's only been a couple of weeks but I can even walk halfway straight again.

And y'all are right... growing old sucks. But then, considering ya can't ride with dirt in your face the alternative is worse........

Old 12-26-2023, 10:44 AM   #17

A month/6 weeks is about what it takes for the pain from the screws to fade. And, it usually happens that you'll wake up one day and the pain is just gone. Be aware, though, that you will get an ache from it out of the blue that will last from a few seconds to a few minutes, then disappear just as quickly. I think it's just the screw messing with you.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-26-2023, 12:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
it's been two long weeks, but things are holding up pretty well. The recovery after surgery was painful, but only lasted for about 3 days before I was able to move off the oxy and settle in to taking Tylenol. the original pain in my back seems to be relieved, but right now replaced by the pain from the screw/rod implants. I expect/hope that will ease up after perhaps a month and things can start moving back to "normal". I know it'll be about 6 months before I'm back to regular activities though, including riding.

I've decided while I'm out of riding, I'm going to be selling off the Intruder and the Goldwing. I'm keeping the KLR. It's just too much fun and easy to ride. I have a friend who said he'd do some riding with it from time to time to keep it "fresh", My older son volunteered to do the same, so hopefully it will get some decent exercise while I'm not in the saddle.

For now, I'll just spend some time dreaming about what road bike I'll buy next. I want something in the sport touring line being large enough for my wife and I to do day trips, but no long-distance touring for her. I'll be using it for Iron Butt rides though. Thinking perhaps an FJR.
Glad to hear things are going "as planned".
Too bad you didn't live closer. My brother is selling his Kawasaki 1100 something-er-other sport touring bike for cheap. I forget what model it is but it's a touring unit with a slight crotch-rockety look to it. He's keeping his older GW.

EDIT: My mistake. He sold the Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours last summer. He's selling his'96 BMW K1100 at the moment.....for cheap.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-26-2023, 02:32 PM   #19

Hang in there, you'll be back in the saddle in no time.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-26-2023, 04:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Glad to hear things are going "as planned".
Too bad you didn't live closer. My brother is selling his Kawasaki 1100 something-er-other sport touring bike for cheap. I forget what model it is but it's a touring unit with a slight crotch-rockety look to it. He's keeping his older GW.

EDIT: My mistake. He sold the Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours last summer. He's selling his'96 BMW K1100 at the moment.....for cheap.
I'd like to have my ZG1000 again if only they would have modernized it. I'd really like FI this go around.

been looking at R1150RTs and R1200RTs too.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 01-04-2024, 04:14 PM   #21

so, last week I got my first look at xrays of my back. unfortunately, I didn't snap any photos of it. things looked pretty good though relative to alignment. the DR did about as good as any shade tree mechanic with regard to inserting the screws and attaching the bars.

I also got the stitches out this week. still itching like crazy, but it's a bit more comfortable. Tomorrow I get to take showers again without worrying about getting the incision wet.

it's going to be a long slow process, but I'm feeling like the original pain that I had has pretty much gone away. it's hard to tell with certainty because there's still a fair bit of residual pain from the surgery and the screws embedded in the bone. I have high hopes!

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:09 PM   #22

A word of warning to all who undergo back surgery.......

Don't push it when recovering!!!

My surgery was 3 weeks ago and I have been feeling pretty good. Some pain from the surgery but nothing compared to before. And I went grocery shopping today pushing the grocery cart. Not a big thing to push a cart.... right? Wrong! By the end of the shopping I had a full cart and a very painful back.... I'm in my easy chair now totally in love with the heating pad and have this advice......

So take it easy... take your time...

Old 01-05-2024, 08:19 AM   #23

While I lament about doing things I probably should not be doing, I'm being very cautious about it. I've been lifting some things, but paying close attention to my body and pains. I overdid it some Christmas eve doing some "santa" things for my granddaughter. fortunately, a few doses of tylenol and rest got me back on track. it's definitely a long slow process though. DR says 5 months or more for bone grafts to heal up, so very limited activities during that time....including no motorcycle riding.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
DR says 5 months or more for bone grafts to heal up, so very limited activities during that time....including no motorcycle riding.
That's a special kind of pain.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts