Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

Air filter alternatives over air box.

I installed a new intake manifold on my Redcat GY200 and it is straighter by 10 degrees. That completely throws off the stock air tube. I'd rather use a stock solution, but just no dice.
Any experiences with using an air tube and external filter? I've used this before, and had great results, but cold starting can be difficult at times.

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #2

I have a Uni pod filter on my bike because i mounted the battery in the original airbox location...free flowing, and washable...

Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #3

This is my favourite: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/42mm-Air-Filt...96f51f&vxp=mtr

They're good quality, and the price is certainly right. They're a perfect fit on a 30mm Mikuni, but it may take some creative piping to get around a battery box.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #4

Thanks bogieboy, thanks Weld. The intake tube was poorly engineered to begin with as asalchemysa pointed out.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oviking99 View Post
Thanks bogieboy, thanks Weld. The intake tube was poorly engineered to begin with as asalchemysa pointed out.
I 'remodelled' my airbox so it lined up much better with the carby. I hacksawed the outlet off, then repositioned the outlet where I wanted it, then welded it back on with a soldering iron and hot glue using the method described in my 'plastic repairs' post. I filled any gaps with bits of plastic cut from the airbox. It sounds rough but actually worked out quite neat, and only took an hour at the most. Basically I was moving the outlet down and sideways by about 2 cm. Now the short rubber hose will stay put even without the clamps.

Skyteam GT200. Honda '84 CT125 Ag bike.

Last edited by alchemysa; 10-09-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemysa View Post
I 'remodelled' my airbox so it lined up much better with the carby. I hacksawed the outlet off, then repositioned the outlet where I wanted it, then welded it back on with a soldering iron and hot glue using the method described in my 'plastic repairs' post. I filled any gaps with bits of plastic cut from the airbox. It sounds rough but actually worked out quite neat, and only took an hour at the most. Basically I was moving the outlet down and sideways by about 2 cm. Now the short rubber hose will stay put even without the clamps.
Thanks, I ordered a an external filter, but I like your idea. The intake manifold they sent works, but it is off by 10 more degrees, making a bad situation worse. I have a few 150cc scooter inlets that look to be the same size....time for some plastic welding. I have found that Harbor Freight (Wholesale Tool Company) zip ties work great for welding pieces together.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #7

Harbor Freight also carries an assorted pack of plastic welding filler rods that cover PVC, ABS and PP.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer