Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #1

How to Get Over the Chinese Bike Thing?

Hello everyone, and I mean absolutely no offense, but I'm wondering if any of you were nervous about your Chinese bike when you first got it and rode it.

I've read a lot online and found a lot of haters and a bunch of people really liking their Hawks and putting a bunch of miles on them. A friend of mine actually has one and I rode it around for a few miles, just around town (at lower speeds). I couldn't escape the feeling, "Is this thing going to fall apart while I'm riding it?" I did have it up to 45mph just for a minute, and that's when I started to feel a bit nervous.

Am I alone on this? Did anyone else feel the same way.

Bottom line question...Is this a safe bike to ride?

Apologies if I offended anyone; didn't mean to. Just asking a legitimate question.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #2

If you go over it it's as safe as any other bike. I've had mine up to 70mph and it felt solid.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:18 AM   #3

I kind of had that same feeling the first time I rode mine. With the stock sprockets it felt like at 50mph it was screaming and struggling to get 50. Key thing is too take you time assembling and lock tite every nut and bolt you can. Grease all axles and pivot points. Once I changes the sprocket to a 40 tooth and changed the main jet and tuned it. The bike felt completely different. I now have over 1400 mile on it. The bike runs smooth and have no problem hitting 70mph and can cruise 60-65 all day. If you don't have some mechanical knowledge and are afraid to wrench on it then this bike is not for you,. But if you have some knowledge or at least ask for advise on here these bike are a great bike for the price. I have less than $1500 tied up in mine including tax and tag. I have no problem taking it out for a 100 plus mile trip. The first 200 miles I check the bike over from one end to the other checking for lose bolts, chain tension and so on. Never had any issues with anything wanting to fall off. Regular oil changes are a must, especially the 1st 500 miles or so until the engine is broke in. Sorry for the long post. Don't mine me I like to ramble on. but welcome to the forum. Apology excepted lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #4

Same here I had mine up to 74 mph and it felt surprisingly stable,but I would not do it on the stock tires I replaced them with 80-20 road tires.(Shinko 705)

Old 04-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #5

This is something we've all had to deal with. The doubt..and the haters. My father in law bought a small Hensim quad for his property back in '05. I had to get it running right for him so after that, I had no doubt about how they were built. That little horizontal motor was as well put together as anything else I'd worked on.

The haters? Let them hate. You'll be the guy with the grin going down the road for less than half the price as your buddy spent on his Japanese bike. The Japanese bikes (most) have gotten so advanced, I don't need all that suspension and expense anymore.

The biggest thing about a China bike is, buy a modern one (Hawk, TT250, Storm, Enforcer, etc...) and assemble it yourself so you know it's put together right. Then go riding!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #6

Locktite or Threadlocker is your new best friend... then tune/rejet the carb to get the bike to run right... once that is done...

It's really easy to "get over the China Bike fear"

Have gone on all day rides with the China Bike, from 6,000 feet to just shy of 13,000 going up over the Colorado 4x4/Jeep Trail mountain passes... going upwards of 83 miles per hour on the interstate (17t front 39t rear sprocket)... and most fills at the gas station, the bike gets 80 to 110 miles per gallon... most replacement parts are cheap as dirt when you break or lose something... even after modding, cost of the China Bike is 1/3 or more less than the closest Japanese competition... and...

"You always meet the nicest people riding on a Honda (cloned) motorcycle"

So what else is there for you to "get over"

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #7

It was pretty simply for me.

When I first got my TT250, I inspected the most of the components using some NDT techniques, and a hospital Xray system - I concealed the TT250 under my coat. My findings revealed that the bike was a well-established design which seemed to be put together well.

However, when I rode the bike over 40mph, a resonance cascade started which caused a ten square-mile area of my city to spontaneously combust, luckily the only consequence to my bike was a flat tyre, but I was done trusting those crafty Chinese people that put the bike together.

I decided the most simple strategy was to replace all of the parts of my bike with similar equivalents from Harley Davidson. It leaks a bit now, but I have piece of mind, and it only cost me 385,000 dollars.

Joking aside, use a bit of common sense and sound out the bike yourself. They're well made, they're most certainly not going to fall to bits at speed. Enjoy it and bear in mind that for the most part they're quite simple; there isn't much to go wrong.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #8

I had the same fear first time I hit 60mph. Just Take your time and go over every bolt and loctite everything important.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
It was pretty simply for me.

When I first got my TT250, I inspected the most of the components using some NDT techniques, and a hospital Xray system - I concealed the TT250 under my coat. My findings revealed that the bike was a well-established design which seemed to be put together well.

However, when I rode the bike over 40mph, a resonance cascade started which caused a ten square-mile area of my city to spontaneously combust, luckily the only consequence to my bike was a flat tyre, but I was done trusting those crafty Chinese people that put the bike together.

I decided the most simple strategy was to replace all of the parts of my bike with similar equivalents from Harley Davidson. It leaks a bit now, but I have piece of mind, and it only cost me 385,000 dollars.

Joking aside, use a bit of common sense and sound out the bike yourself. They're well made, they're most certainly not going to fall to bits at speed. Enjoy it and bear in mind that for the most part they're quite simple; there isn't much to go wrong.
LOLOL!! Oh geez....people around my cube are wondering what I'm laughing at. Minimize......

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #10

When I bought my Lifan 200 in 2007 I knew nothing about Chinese bikes. Never heard of Lifan, never heard of a CG engine. As a replacement for my old Trail 90 I hoped it would haul me around the back roads and trails for a few thousand miles. The more I rode it, the more I liked it and eventually it became my favorite everyday bike. Now I'm a huge fan of CG engine powered Chinese bikes and quads. 10 years so far and never has one left me stranded. Reliable workhorses.

BTW I don't use Loctite on any fasteners except the 2 big nuts on the quads rear axles.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual_sport17 View Post
Hello everyone, and I mean absolutely no offense, but I'm wondering if any of you were nervous about your Chinese bike when you first got it and rode it.

I've read a lot online and found a lot of haters and a bunch of people really liking their Hawks and putting a bunch of miles on them. A friend of mine actually has one and I rode it around for a few miles, just around town (at lower speeds). I couldn't escape the feeling, "Is this thing going to fall apart while I'm riding it?" I did have it up to 45mph just for a minute, and that's when I started to feel a bit nervous.

Am I alone on this? Did anyone else feel the same way.

Bottom line question...Is this a safe bike to ride?

Apologies if I offended anyone; didn't mean to. Just asking a legitimate question.
My model bashan has about the worst reputation on this site for what Merlin and I have gone through..., as Merlin would put it, a pile of s#/T.

I was really surprised that having the reservation that you did , that you would ride someone's bike that they built.

The thing is after you hand build, adjust, and care for these machines yourself, your confidence will be 100% in them. I have come to a point where I don't dare take my bike without a proper check starting with the chain tension and a quick ping of the spokes. Why, we'll mine hauled me over 300 (real) miles last week while motorcycle camping and you dont take on trips like these very lightly even on a brand name jap bike. I have come to a point to where I can rely on this bike 100% , it just takes longer to get there at 55mph. I don't think I will be visiting Bismark ND. Any time soon
Attachment 9494
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #12

I handle my "China bike" phobia by throwing a leg over it, rolling down the road and smiling to myself as I pass by 4000.00 and up small cc bikes doing the exact same thing mine does...and not a damn bit better in my opinion, .I admit I read and read and read everything I could before buying....and this very site was the final deal maker for me.... I don't believe you'll find a better "community" of helpful people than right here...knowledge, ingenuity and life experiences are shared freely here....makes that "China Bike" issue fade away....stick to bikes that have the official "unofficial" China Riders stamp of approval/reccomendation and you'll discover a very entertaining and rewarding motorcycle adventure.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 04-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
I handle my "China bike" phobia by throwing a leg over it, rolling down the road and smiling to myself as I pass by 4000.00 and up small cc bikes doing the exact same thing mine does...and not a damn bit better in my opinion, .I admit I read and read and read everything I could before buying....and this very site was the final deal maker for me.... I don't believe you'll find a better "community" of helpful people than right here...knowledge, ingenuity and life experiences are shared freely here....makes that "China Bike" issue fade away....stick to bikes that have the official "unofficial" China Riders stamp of approval/reccomendation and you'll discover a very entertaining and rewarding motorcycle adventure.
Speaking of...haven't seen any recent pics of the mighty rx3
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-26-2017, 10:08 PM   #14

I was sure my shark would blow up in the first 20 miles,after I got passed that I've been amazed just how smooth it runs now at 200. But like stated above stick with bikes that have the China riders seal of approval and you will be fine.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:31 PM   #15

I have yet to see anybody mention checking/ tightnening the spokes or wheel trueness. This is a huge consideration on any new bike. Check them when you first get it, and a few times during break in as well. I even have a spoke torque wrench I bought for my previous bikes, even my 42 year old Goldwing. It makes it a breeze and reduces the chance of over tightening.

As far as the "stigma" goes, I am an avid beliver in finding out for myself. Too many good things have been said about the Hawk, and a lot of real world criticisms as well for me to pass up having a fun, cheap, second bike around.