Old 07-04-2021, 11:08 AM   #1

RXB250L Street legal in Illinois?

Has anybody registered one in Illinois?
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 07-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #2

I wouldn't hold my breath, Illinois is a bit tricky. I'd register it in Vermont first, then transfer it over after a year.

Old 07-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
Has anybody registered one in Illinois?
Is there a form for a converted dirt bike that you can do? That's what I was told to do from the DMV I visited, very helpful.. Local DMV said my MCO and the bike itself was fake... But the form I was able to use was called a VSA-130, not sure if that would help out if you looked it over; or took it to your local DMV to see if there was a form like it for IL.

Sad thing is, most states have already started denying motorcycle VIN's starting with L - from what I've been reading.. Does IL do smog or heavy emissions testing??

But, most already 'converted' bikes are able to be registered pretty easily by some grandfathering. Apparently mine was; and is almost the same as yours. But, I don't live in Illinois either..

Good luck man!! I'm hoping you get it plated without any issues!

Old 07-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #4

Illinois stopped making it legal to convert dirt bikes to street legal several years ago, I want to say it was like 2014 or so, so unless this brand is in the system (I highly doubt that it is), Vermont or SD are virtually the only possibilities, unless you register it as something self-built.

Old 07-04-2021, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Illinois stopped making it legal to convert dirt bikes to street legal several years ago, I want to say it was like 2014 or so, so unless this brand is in the system (I highly doubt that it is), Vermont or SD are virtually the only possibilities, unless you register it as something self-built.
Thanks franque, man I’m glad I came here first! I had everything filled out with all credit card information and ready to hit the purchase button for the 2021 RXB250L. and I thought I better check here first. I absolutely need it to street able, otherwise it’s pretty much useless to me.
I think I’m going to get another Brozz! Jeffrey said he won’t have any more until December, man that sucks. Anyone on here live close to the St Louis metro area looking to sell their 2020 Brozz?
1978 Kawasaki KL250

Old 07-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #6

Well, there ya have it! That's lame, but at least you have another option to go with.

Old 07-05-2021, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Illinois was (still are?) registering Hawks later than '14 unless the law you are referencing is later than 2014. The Hawk/Magician are still EPA certified as 'Offroad dirtbikes' which would be the same classification as the RXB, but still moot point if they rolled out that law in, say, 2016, which is probably the case.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #8

Thanks Culcune, I contacted the Secretary of state, police office and they said it was passed into law in Illinois that any bike that starts its life as an off road vehicle will not be able to convert it to a road legal vehicle under any circumstance. Unfortunately even trying to go around this law by going to another state like Vermont to get it registered may not work. I was told that if you get pulled over and they do a VIN search, Illinois will know that it started off as an off road vehicle and I would possibly be hit with massive fines.
1978 Kawasaki KL250

Old 07-05-2021, 10:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
I was told that if you get pulled over and they do a VIN search, Illinois will know that it started off as an off road vehicle and I would possibly be hit with massive fines.
Sounds like they are getting California-ized?! Franque mentioned the law but as I posted, I do recall people registering Hawks a mere few years ago (later than 2014) in Illinois, so I was holding out a smidgen of hope, but deep down inside, once these laws go into effect, they stay in permanent effect.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-05-2021, 11:31 PM   #10

It depends on what the MSO ships with. If it says off road only, it shouldn't be able to be registered, but if it just says motorcycle, it should squeak by.

As long as it isn't a 'known' off road only model (like a CRF450R), I don't think they'd know the difference, and the Vermont registration wouldn't say off road only (otherwise they wouldn't register it).

I know someone that plated a GPX TSE250R, they just transferred the Florida title over. I think you'd be fine, there's just a non-zero chance you couldn't register it in Illinois for it's first registration. Vermont doesn't care.

I'd post on the RXB page on Facebook and see if anyone has successfully registered a 250L in IL, and if it's unknown, I'd see if someone will send you a picture of the MSO. Orion might even be willing to work with you.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:08 AM   #11

Quote:
I'd post on the RXB page on Facebook and see if anyone has successfully registered a 250L in IL, and if it's unknown, I'd see if someone will send you a picture of the MSO. Orion might even be willing to work with you.
I don't have a Facebook account but I did reach out to Orion yesterday. I will let you guys know what they say.
1978 Kawasaki KL250

Old 07-06-2021, 05:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plump Kibbles View Post
Is there a form for a converted dirt bike that you can do? That's what I was told to do from the DMV I visited, very helpful.. Local DMV said my MCO and the bike itself was fake... But the form I was able to use was called a VSA-130, not sure if that would help out if you looked it over; or took it to your local DMV to see if there was a form like it for IL.

Sad thing is, most states have already started denying motorcycle VIN's starting with L - from what I've been reading.. Does IL do smog or heavy emissions testing??

But, most already 'converted' bikes are able to be registered pretty easily by some grandfathering. Apparently mine was; and is almost the same as yours. But, I don't live in Illinois either..

Good luck man!! I'm hoping you get it plated without any issues!
Illinois pretty much stopped the EPA testing on vehicles in my area anyway. I also went to my local DMV and they said there is nothing they can do for me.
Thanks for the encouragement!
1978 Kawasaki KL250

Old 07-06-2021, 02:17 PM   #13

Orion said they have sold to people in Illinois and haven’t heard of any issues. I’m not sure if anyone has tried to register it for the road though. They also said that on the MCO it says motorcycle. So maybe there is some hope.
1978 Kawasaki KL250

Old 07-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #14

I'd get it and try it.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:29 AM   #15

Vermont???????

Hi Everyone,

I've ordered a Venom X22R (here in PA) and am currently awaiting a NEW shipment of bikes from China, (after Customs FAILED the WHOLE SHIPMENT of bikes from China ((MINE INCLUDED)) on a paperwork technicality) and FORCED Venom MotorSports to re-order NEW bikes from China...

Don't you just love Government workers...

Once the NEW order of bikes get here, I'm not too sure it will be allowed to be registered (here in PA) as the title (or MOA) starts with an "L".

Now that I've seen a bunch of other riders who have "SUGGESTED" that I can register the bike in Vermont, but I have no idea HOW that works or go about doing so. This is why I've written this POST...

What I would like to know (in a STEP BY STEP procedure) is HOW I have to go about this (LEGALLY) in order to accomplish this...

Thanks everyone for your help and ride safe...

P.S. Just to let everyone know, Venom MotorSports has stated that my bike SHOULD ARRIVE sometime in September... Oh well, so much for riding it this summer...

Joe...