Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #4921

hi lee, I would like video of general riding and some overtake,could it easily do 120kph?

Old 04-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #4922

It won't overtake much, unfortunately. But it will barely do 74mph. I've changed the sprocket set-up to 13t/45t and it's got more power in all the gears, and can get up to speed much quicker on the streets. However, I feel most cars can out accelerate me from a stop light if they were trying to.

The only downside to the sprocket change is 67mph seems to be the maximum sweet spot, before it gets too buzzy, and well into redline. Which relegates me to backroads and city streets, instead of the interstate. Here in the U.S. 80 to 85mph is the common freeway running speed. The Cyclone is not geared, or powerful enough for that.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #4923

Called Ryan at CSC to add some stuff to my order and he confirmed they will pull my bike next week to start on it. He said he had about 8 orange ones to do next. I also asked him about the TT and he said they are about 6 weeks out.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:07 PM   #4924

Quote:
However, I feel most cars can out accelerate me from a stop light if they were trying to.
Wow. I don't know what kind of cars do you have over there.
Here in Argentina, this bike will out-accelerate almost -any- car, but the most sport oriented models, up to legal speeds, without much effort.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #4925

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziz View Post
hi lee, I would like video of general riding and some overtake,could it easily do 120kph?
No problem Aziz, I'll pass a few people this weekend on video I'm sure. It can do 120kph by GPS, I use a 13T front sprocket and that's about the top speed on a flat stretch, it hit 127kph with stock gearing by GPS. Passing is ok up to 90kph then you need a lot of space. Here's some general trails use from last fall. We plan to record a road only trip this weekend around NY/VT.

Lee

Old 04-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #4926

Very nice video Lee. Looks like a great place to ride.

/

Old 04-14-2016, 04:44 AM   #4927

Hi there

It will happily sit a 60 - 65 mph (as indicated by gps), in 6th at between 6-7000 rpm, there is more in the tank if needed, but I probably wouldn't run it much higher for an extended period of time. The engine is nice and smooth in 6th at those speeds.

Here in the UK I've used the bike on motorways (70mph speed limit) and haven't felt at all uneasy, afterall, the bike is quite large, so has decent road presence, and I have quite happily overtaken a variety of vehicles.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:21 PM   #4928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
Wow. I don't know what kind of cars do you have over there.
Here in Argentina, this bike will out-accelerate almost -any- car, but the most sport oriented models, up to legal speeds, without much effort.
I have many years experience with the KLR, (both old and new models) and it was rated at 37 hp. And I would agree with your statement. It can beat 90% of all the cars on the road. The KLR is also carburated and weighs about 400 lbs.

Now the Cyclone weighs about 385 lbs, and is only rated at 24 hp.

It doesn't take a math whiz, to see that the KLR would naturally be faster, regardless of displacement. It has more Horsepower. That's a 54.1% increase in power over the Cyclone.

I'll do a video of acceleration getting on a freeway. I'm running bag-less, and have taken off most of the crap on my Cyclone, plus I've lost the weight of the stock battery. I'm thin, athletic build, so I'm not carrying around a spare tire. I can get the bike up to speed, probably faster than most, especially with clutchless quick shifts. And I can tell you, the bike just ain't that fast. It seems fast, but it's not.

Can I get out in front of traffic from a stop light? You Bet! If someone thought I was racing them, could they catch, and overtake me? You Bet! (Maybe not minvans, SUVs and pick-up trucks. But maybe, I dunno? But nearly anything built from 2010 and on could easily)

Old 04-15-2016, 03:39 AM   #4929

Hi

Over distance, most cars will be able to catch you, and if you are racing, not too sure what you expect??

I have no trouble pulling clear away from traffic, from stop, or even when filtering and traffic I reach the front of the lines of traffic. Likewise, on motorways, I have no issue overtaking other vehicles, upto and slightly above 70.

The bike does have quite a decent pickup, the gearing seems high, compared to my other bikes, but it is responsive. I haven't made any mods to the bike, everything about the bike is stock, including the luggage & battery.

Not quite sure what you expect from 24hp?? So far, I have found that within the bikes natural limitations, it performs really well, my only concern is the brightness of the headlight which I'm in the process of resolving.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:58 AM   #4930

Linuxyeti, I usually lurk both here on chinariders and mychinamoto, and I forgot you had joined here a few weeks ago, as I had just posted on mychinamoto suggesting you come here to chinariders in search of a solution to your inadequate headlight problem. I know that Spudrider upgraded his RX3 headlight, which, if you have access to the same parts in the UK as he did here, should do the trick.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #4931

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxyeti View Post
...my only concern is the brightness of the headlight which I'm in the process of resolving.
Spud's recommendation for the 55w bulb and trimming the rear of the headlight cover is a good one. It noticeably increases light output, but it does increase some head, so you may notice some bubbling of the reflector surface directly above the headlight over time.

If you would like greater light output and don't mind adding lights, the auxiliary lights (like Spud's Tractor Supply lights, or eBay sourced 18W spot beams) work very well to help not only increase the light on the road, but also cast a wider beam pattern to see more of the road (since each spot beam can be aimed independently.)

Old 04-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #4932

Thumbs Up

"I have many years experience with the KLR, (both old and new models) and it was rated at 37 hp. And I would agree with your statement. It can beat 90% of all the cars on the road. The KLR is also carburated and weighs about 400 lbs".(quoting eco)

eco, some of the klr gen 2's have a few more hp and its noticeable. don't remember exactly but one i saw dyno'd out at around 43hp. my bro's is a particularly strong example of the first batch of the NE 's and will dust both my 2009 and 2015. w a 16t front, his will approach the "ton", and get there in a hurry.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-15-2016, 11:17 PM   #4933

Yeah, I started to mention the 43hp, but declined, since the 2nd gen one that I got was an '08 first batch, and I don't think I got the extra ponies. If I did, I couldn't tell over my '05. (My '97 was identical to the '05 except for color)

The one thing I do notice, is that people who say they like their power with the Cyclone, are the people with carburetors. Could be something to that.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:20 AM   #4934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Mouse View Post
The one thing I do notice, is that people who say they like their power with the Cyclone, are the people with carburetors. Could be something to that.
Could that also be contributed to the fact that the carb models seem to be sold in regions where a 250 is considered a large bike? In quite a few countries 125cc is a common size.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:09 AM   #4935

The weather is really warming up in East Idaho. I went for a ride today, and stopped to take a quick photograph of my RX3. I am really enjoying my Patriotic Blue, custom paint job.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894