Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #16

Sometimes, within an industry, things change, and so does the equipment. The obsolete equipment goes for peanuts, or for just carting away, I got a "Porta-Spot" and a "Ultra-Mig" that way. (The porta-spot being old technology and the ultra-mig was broken)

http://www.amh.ca/anglais/accueil.html

Old 11-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #17

Looks like bulky and heavy technology. 8O

Old 11-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #18

Does anyone know where to get oxy acetylene tanks? I've been looking and I can't seem to find anywhere that sells them!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #19

You got "easy", "expensive", and "cheap", it also depends where you live.

Usually only the small tanks are for sale, the large ones are rental only. The filling charge is usually the same, large, or small. Purchasing a pair of small tanks (that have to be re-inspected periodically) will run you around $250.

I needed a small set cheap.......this is what I did (providing you have an oxygen filling station locally):

I went with propane (a 20lb BBQ tank) and I recycled a scuba tank. Scuba tanks have to be inspected yearly, ANY sign of rust on the inside and the tank is junk, I took a junk (free) scuba tank, got it inspected ($20) and re-valved (another $20), and now it is a small oxygen tank. Scuba tanks do not have a flat bottom, so I smashed the bottom off of a Coke canister and glued it to the scuba tank. No scuba tanks locally, don't kid yourself, fire departments have breathing packs that use the same kind of tank.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #20

8O, I've been thinking. I t don't think it's ideal for me to have a oxy acetylene tank. I am going to stick with the arc welder. Here are my 2 choices:

70 amp unbranded, sold at princess auto

or

90 amp Clarke sold on ebay

Old 11-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #21

These sets are great for quick easy small welding jobs!

LINK Details & Price

Hope that helped

Old 11-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan-Dad
These sets are great for quick easy small welding jobs!

LINK Details & Price

Hope that helped
I saw those and they are over $300.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #23

Beware of acetylene affecting your house insurance. My insurance carrier is ok with my MIG, but not with acetylene. Interestingly, it's ok to have oxygen and MAP gas at home (because MAP can be used for home plumbing repair). You can buy a small disposable oxy / MAP setup for less than $100 from Canadian Tire (product #58-7579-6). Once the MAP and oxygen bottles are empty, you recycle them and buy replacement bottles. Buy a fire extinguisher while you're at it.

KMS Tools has the same setup on sale for around $59.00 this weekend. Check out http://www.kmstools.com/bernzomatic-...elding-kit-102

Since you have oxy / acetylene experience, you'll quickly adapt to oxy / map. It's not quite as hot, but it's close. Check with your insurance provider to be sure that your house coverage won't be compromised.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #24

I checked reviews online at canadian tire but it seems people do not recommended it:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...orch%2BKit.jsp

Old 11-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #25

Find a buddy who's a good welder and has the setup,(or even a bad welder but with the gear) and buy him beer to have him do it or borrow his gear. Might be a cheaper and less stressful decision. 8O

..but see I'm weird, I hate welding. Been sparked, burnt and flashed by the old submerged arc crank welder one too many times, and I'm just not interested anymore...

Old 11-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #26

Turbo t, it's called welding gloves and welding goggles.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozalo
Turbo t, it's called welding gloves and welding goggles.
Ahh, well, you'll learn grasshopper.

Shit flies around, and you're concentrating on not blowing a new oil hole in the crankshaft when a piece of flux flies off and lands on your lap... it's a bit of a surprise, not sure if you smell or feel your nuts burning first. ..but don't let me scare you. What I was doing was a different process that not many people do anyhow..

Old 11-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #28

The bottom line here is:

If you want to play it is going to cost you money.

You can go out and buy all the "home", or "hobbyist", tools that you like, but you are going to find that they aren't worth a s**t.

Sorry.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #29

Have you check you local craigslist for welders? You could probably find someone needing cash and get a good deal on one. I got mine used on ebay. It looked to have been used once.

Weldandgrind is right in that the hobart is the cheaper end of miller.

Allen

Old 11-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #30

I looked on kijiji and craigslist and most people were selling the 220v. The problem is that I do not have any 220v outlets in my garage or basement.