Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #1

TBR7 Does gearing up ruin off-road capabilities

Hi,
So I've been looking into many of the suggested modifications to make to my newly purchased (hasn't arrived) TBR7. One of the recommended mods was a new 17t front sprocket and 42t rear sprocket as this helps not wring the motor out when cruising. I live in arizona so a lot of the road speeds are pretty high, this made it an appealing modification, BUT if you are essentially lowering your torque at the wheels then does that render this enduro a lot less capable off-road or would it just be a matter of downshifting when needed? Thanks guys!

Old 10-02-2021, 10:17 PM   #2

Judging by the photos, our bikes are near identical(RPS Magician). I regeared mine 17 front 40 rear and it still rides off road fairly well albeit fast. 1st gear is about where 3rd gear was with the stock sprockets. I think it's a tad too tall for any rough trail riding where you wanna crawl around the place as mine idles(1100rpm) at 8mph. I'm considering going back to the stock 15t front sprocket or getting a 16t just to bring 1st back down a bit.

Last time I went to an offroad park, I spent most of my time in 2nd and 3rd, with long straightaways hitting 5th and hill climbing 1st and 2nd. With my new gearing, I couldn't do the hill climbing or the really twisty trails, otherwise it is OK to use offroading.

Old 10-02-2021, 10:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the incredibly helpful reply, that's exactly what I was hoping to find out. I think I'll still with the 17/42 though I may go back to the 47 rear if it ends up being too anemic to crawl over all the rocks in my area.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #4

Depends on how you like to ride. I like extremely technical trails you could barely walk on and spend your time in first gear on. That’s why I didn’t do the sprocket mods. I also like trucking up hills with my enduro.

So it definitely comes down to your personal choice of wanting more top end speed or more ability when going slowly and in really challenging terrain.m

Without buying a 6 speed, it’s one or the other

Old 10-03-2021, 09:39 AM   #5

You can always just buy a front sprocket that's a tooth smaller and swap it out if you find its geared to tall for the type of riding you're doing. It only takes a few minutes.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Last edited by TxTaoRider; 10-05-2021 at 05:39 AM.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jecklen View Post
Thanks for the incredibly helpful reply, that's exactly what I was hoping to find out. I think I'll still with the 17/42 though I may go back to the 47 rear if it ends up being too anemic to crawl over all the rocks in my area.
I'm running 17/40 on mine and it gives me about 10mph/1000rpm in 5th. Off road my limitation is tires and I'm considering something with a more aggressive tread pattern and then dropping the gearing to 15/40
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 10-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_az View Post
I'm running 17/40 on mine and it gives me about 10mph/1000rpm in 5th. Off road my limitation is tires and I'm considering something with a more aggressive tread pattern and then dropping the gearing to 15/40
Hey a fellow Arizonian! I live out in Buckeye. So 10 mph per 1000 rpm in 5th? That tops out at, what? Like 70? That doesn't seem worth it for a bike that stock tops out around 60-65 right?

Old 10-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Depends on how you like to ride. I like extremely technical trails you could barely walk on and spend your time in first gear on. That’s why I didn’t do the sprocket mods. I also like trucking up hills with my enduro.

So it definitely comes down to your personal choice of wanting more top end speed or more ability when going slowly and in really challenging terrain.m

Without buying a 6 speed, it’s one or the other
This makes sense, I just figured I could get away with a 17 tooth and maybe a 42 in the back if I did a few other mods to up the stock power (mikuni, 110 jetting, cat cutout, low friction chain). Was hoping it would be enough to offset the higher gearing.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jecklen View Post
Hey a fellow Arizonian! I live out in Buckeye. So 10 mph per 1000 rpm in 5th? That tops out at, what? Like 70? That doesn't seem worth it for a bike that stock tops out around 60-65 right?
I limit it to 75, due to front end instability. it'll pull to 9500rpm in the lower gears with the engine mods I've done and do power up wheelies in 1st
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 10-04-2021, 06:07 PM   #10

Quote:
I limit it to 75, due to front end instability. it'll pull to 9500rpm in the lower gears with the engine mods I've done and do power up wheelies in 1st
Awesome, thanks for the info man. I appreciate it.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:25 PM   #11

Quote:
I have seen Alex and his TBR7 two years in a row on the annual 'Surprise to Wickenburg the back way' ride. In fact, last year I rode Emerikol's Hawk which he geared, if I recall, 17/39. I think the 39 was a bit too high, but it allowed us to cruise on I 10 and up the 303 at 65 mph (he might have a 15 on the front; maybe he'll chime in) to the starting point. I did not realize Alex's gearing was similar. I think the 17/42 should be fine for the Phoenix area so you can get to the dirt (sand). Hopefully the 3rd annual ride will happen next month, so keep an eye out if you do get your bike.

BTW, the TBRs were coming with 520 chains and the funky gearing that chain needs, but it sounds like they are back to a 428. Alex's bike is a few years old when they did come with 428 chains, but with COVID and all the confusion, the Taos were shipping with 520 chains. Let us know.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-04-2021, 08:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I have seen Alex and his TBR7 two years in a row on the annual 'Surprise to Wickenburg the back way' ride. In fact, last year I rode Emerikol's Hawk which he geared, if I recall, 17/39. I think the 39 was a bit too high, but it allowed us to cruise on I 10 and up the 303 at 65 mph (he might have a 15 on the front; maybe he'll chime in) to the starting point. I did not realize Alex's gearing was similar. I think the 17/42 should be fine for the Phoenix area so you can get to the dirt (sand). Hopefully the 3rd annual ride will happen next month, so keep an eye out if you do get your bike.

BTW, the TBRs were coming with 520 chains and the funky gearing that chain needs, but it sounds like they are back to a 428. Alex's bike is a few years old when they did come with 428 chains, but with COVID and all the confusion, the Taos were shipping with 520 chains. Let us know.
I will, I should get it within the next week or so. That ride sounds awesome, where can I find out more info about it? I'd be perfectly happy with cruising at 65. Just enough to not COMPLETELY annoy traffic around me lol.

Tags
gearing, sprocket, tbr7