Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #1

New Member Awaiting Rhino 250

Hello all, I am a new member awaiting a new Rhino 250 ordered today (1.4.20). First off, great community! I have been browsing, researching and learning for the past two weeks, thanks to all of you! I am expecting my new Rhino 250 in the next week or so. Anyway, in anticipation of my new toy I am trying to get prepared for assembly and break in. So I am placing an order for a quart of Royal Purple break in oil to replace the factory oil for the first break in period. My question is has anyone had any experience with Amazon Basics 5-40 full synthetic? I was going to order the Rotella 5-40 and this was suggested by Amazon as an option ( of course ) but it is half the price as the Rotella.. I know you get what you pay for but, but Amazon us usually rebranded something else.... and my budget is limited to a degree as I have kids ready for college and I am trying to save some funds for additional upgrades / mods.... Any input is appreciated and I am looking forward to contributing in the near future!

Old 01-04-2020, 07:35 PM   #2

Welcome aboard and enjoy the new Rhino when you get it.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-05-2020, 02:09 AM   #3

I still haven't completely broken mine in from a few months ago. I've been using non-syn Rotella T4 for break in and will switch to the Rotella T6 (I think) for regular use. I'm going to check out the Amazon brand and if it has the wet clutch specs I'll probably use that instead.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:21 PM   #4

Welcome!

Hi Justin, I'm from the top west of the state in the snow belt. I've beat the piss out of mine plowing heavy wet snow, dragging downed trees & riding it for fun. I bought mine new already assembled but have been running the synthetic oil. I've been very happy with my Rhino. I did change the front sprocket & chain to get the lower end power for plowing, added extra safety lighting but other than that it's stock. This is my second winter plowing with it.

What do you plan to use yours for, fun, work or both?

Old 01-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #5

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

George, Thank you for the input, very helpful. I am planning on using my Rhino for a little work and a little fun, as well as all the wrenching that comes along with owning these machines. Already ordered a 12 T front sprocket, not sure of chain size yet, trying to figure out how to calculate the correct chain size. Ordered 2in spacers for the back. Picked up a HF winch and NGK's 4929 DPR8EA-9. What did you use to mount your plow? Thank you!

Last edited by justin1328; 01-07-2020 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #6

Getting concerened

So as I mentioned at top of this thread I ordered my Rhino on 1/4/2020 and was told it was in stock and would be delivered to my location in 2 -4 business days. I know this seems pretty quick compared to many online dealers promising 6-15 days. Anyway, I ordered from Birdy’s Scooters and ATV's in Indy, who had an A+BBB rating. Dealt with Joe who promised the above. I reached out to him end of day yesterday and he said it should have shipped out yesterday and that he was out of the office and would confirm with me today (Tuesday 1.7). No call as of 3:30pm, I called Joe and he stated that he ran out to do an errand and as soon as he got back in to the office he would check on the status and provide me an update and tracking info. 6:30pm nothing...... Starting to think he is blowing smoke... A little back story, After calling 6-7 distributors all telling me that the Rhino is our of stock until late Feb early March Birdy’s told me they had Blue ones in stock... I specifically stated in my order notes that I was told the unit in stock and I did not want to proceed with the order if it was not. Anyone here ever hear or dealt with Birdy’s? I am I being to anxious or do you think this establishment is blowing smoke or stalling until they receive their new inventory from China? Thank you everyone for your input.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #7

Never dealt with them so hard to say what's up.. could just be he just arranges for it to be drop shipped. He has a good rating so is most likely legit... your only into the 3rd day at this point... honestly 7 days is a fair amount of time. He may be in the midst of working it out with a fellow dealer or another distributor.

Could just be an issue with the transport company... if you ever had anything shipped you know in the end you are at the shippers mercy. Heavy freight companies aren't any better.

Sure soon enough you will be riding your Rhino and will forget about the wait.

I'm impatient too with internet order.... something I have had to learn to deal with over the years.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:58 PM   #8

I've never used Birdys but my neighbor bought two from there (one transaction) and he was very happy with them. This was probably 2-3 years ago give or take.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #9

I bought 2 from them and didn't have any problems. Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, you should have your Rhino soon.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 01-08-2020, 08:01 AM   #10

"What did you use to mount your plow?"

I bought the 60" Moose plow used but practically new for $200, I bought the mounting plate for $40 off ebay and welded it to the frame underneath the Rhino & used Harbor Freight winch to raise and lower it.

Here is my thread about it; http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=21115

Old 01-08-2020, 08:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
Never dealt with them so hard to say what's up.. could just be he just arranges for it to be drop shipped. He has a good rating so is most likely legit... your only into the 3rd day at this point... honestly 7 days is a fair amount of time. He may be in the midst of working it out with a fellow dealer or another distributor.

Could just be an issue with the transport company... if you ever had anything shipped you know in the end you are at the shippers mercy. Heavy freight companies aren't any better.

Sure soon enough you will be riding your Rhino and will forget about the wait.

I'm impatient too with internet order.... something I have had to learn to deal with over the years.

Darth, Thank you. I don’t want to be "that guy", and I know 4 days is nothing, it’s the lack of communication and dodging from Birdys that is making me a little suspicious. I will chill out and give them to the end of the week. Thank you and everyone for the replies.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #12

George, Thank you. Looking to make this a fall project so I am ready for next winter.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #13

Received Shipping Tracking Information

Finally received shipping information. Delivery expected 1/14/20 Starting to feel like its Christmas morning when I was a kid.......

Old 01-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #14

Congratulations. It will go by fast. Don't forget, pictures when you get it.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #15

Ok so not too bad... it's on it's way... cool.

Brush up on some of the threads here that talk about putting it together... the fender flares can be tricky... I have a thread on it http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?p=215343. Throw the wrenches out that come with it.. they are useless.

Get a small bottle of BLUE Loctite

Drain the stir fry oil out of the crankcase and replace with 15/40 Rotella oil. Get a couple of quarts. It's good to change out the oil after the first break in run (4hrs of riding or so) Clean off the bits of metal from the magnet on the drain plug

Pick up a couple of NGK spark plugs.. it will start easier

Clean out an area of the garage to do the assembly in

It's winter now... don't leave that battery out in the cold or it wont last long at all.

Tags
250, break in, oil, rhino