Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2006, 11:24 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
Dead end roads past Indy Airport

This is probably boring, long and low key, but I had fun and thought I would share it.
The Indianapolis airport authority has been buying up all sorts of land the past few years. They have rerouted part of I-70 and removed a lot of the old bridges that used to goover it.
So I went exploring today. I found a bunch of old 2 lane roads that are dead ended and falling apart. Lots of fun to ride on.
Also found an interesting trail next to one of the dry runoff ponds they dug by a new 4-lane that crosses the interstate. It is dry most of the time until a big rain and fills up with the road run off.
The grass along the rim of it was about 2' tall. But a jeep or something had been through about a week ago. So I could see the outline.
Having had exciting experiences with hidden ruts and holes in tall grass, I poked along the first time through. Lot's of fun until I hit the 2' deep hole that somebody had got a 4x4 stuck in prior to the grass growth.
Thought I was gonna hi-side but managed to hold on and drop the rear in the hole and ride out.
The trail dead ended and on the way back I tried to miss that hole only to hit the one right next to it.
Got the back end stuck in it. The direction that I was pointing wouldn't allow me to it gun it to hard or when I came out I would have gone right over the rim down a very steep hill.
Man the tread on the stock tires stinks! It felt like the back end was in a 2 foot bowl of jello! That back tire didn't want to bite at all. Plenty of power but no bite! I was just waiting for it to finally grip and send me shooting over that edge. I killed it a few times and then didn't know if it was going to restart. Being a bit short of stature didn't make things any easier. I finally managed to fish the back end all around the hole and got it out. Ahhh...memories of my younger days of getting my bike stuck in places where nobody knew where I was came rushing back to me.
At least I have a cell phone now.
Of course I still wouldn't be able to explain just where I was. :P
It was definitely a good ride!
But you know what? I still miss a good 2-stroke on the trails.