Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #1

LF200GY-2 Year 2007 *Help*

Hello, Im new to this site and also new to riding moto/dirtbikes.
I was able to pick up a LF200GY-2 from someone from around my area.
I brought it to my father in-law farm to ride around and it took me 30 mins to get use to it, and I love riding.. Very dangerous but exciting at the same time.

I am having a problem having it idle, Ill pull the choke out all the way and turn it on by the electric starter and it starts up good Ill try to let it warm up a good 5-10 mins before the ride, problem is that I have to hold the choke up and when I hear it start running a little higher in RPMS ill close the choke but it will shutoff with in 10 secs - 3 mins.

I tried the choke out totally by holding it up and it runs forever until I let it go. Also I was thinking of just updating the bike and is it even worth getting different mods for it and can I? Should I change the plastic pieces, because some people say it rattles when riding on it, also the carburetor is 7 years old and I don't know if the last person owned it drained the carb when storing it for winter time, I live in Canada do I have to stay with the same thing or can I get better pieces.

So should I change anything on it at all if I have the money, is it worth it or not? The manual I got with it shows that there are headlights and tail lights and turning signals but mine does not have any of that, is it hard to get a head light put in the front of it because I may want to do some night time riding, any suggestions? also the front shocks looks like the basic shocks I do see other people having better looking shocks probably better quality... can I put any on this bike? is it worth it or not? Also why is it sometimes I hear a funny noise with the brakes when I pull it backwards sounds like vibration or maybe sand in the discs? have you ever heard of this before? what else could it be, I pressure washed the bike and I don't really hear the noise anymore, so I'm guessing its sand..

Thanks a lot if someone can give me some good ideas.
It would be much appreciated,

Kevin-Diggy

Old 10-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #2

Welcome, fellow Canadian! Where are you from?

You would have earned extra points if you posted pics. Please show us your bike. Once we see it, we can make headlight and other recommendations.

In the meantime, this is the cure: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Carburetor-Ca...4db403&vxp=mtr

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #3

Lf200gy-2

Im from Canada, Ontario. This is my first moto/dirt bike and very excited.
So much fun to ride in the bush and on the road. I would prolly do most of my time riding at night since I have kids and they need a lot of attention . Im not sure if I should even add a front light/back light or even make this bike road legal. I use it to have fun in the dirt and learn how to drive a moto bike. I need to know from the experience, what should I add to the bike or is it even worth doing it. Can I clean the carb I have in it now and put it back in? or buy a new one? The shocks are they good shocks or should I get different ones?

So would that carb. be the same as what I have in it or different? Please give me some good ideas what I should do to the bike to make it much better?

Here are some pictures of the bike and it was bought in BC, Canada.

Thanks,
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullbikeright.jpg (92.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg front.jpg (89.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg shocks.jpg (86.9 KB, 106 views)

Old 10-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
...In the meantime, this is the cure...
U can fine tune the stock with http://mypitbike.ru/downloads/PZ22PZ26.pdf

Old 10-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #5

Awesome information about carbs. I will keep this a read up on it and figure out how it all works. Is that the same carb as Weldangrind posted me the AD to ebay? So this would be the best carb for my bike? are there other carbs out there that are better or better quality? I do not know nothing about carb, I would like to look at the different types out there...

Thanks

Old 10-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #6

Nice bike!

The carb I linked to is a Mikuni, and your carb is a Keihin. Nothing wrong with a Keihin, but jets are hard for us to find in Canada. Mikuni jets are easily found, including at your local Yamaha dealer. I'd buy the Mikuni, buy some larger jets for it (which are really cheap), and enjoy the bike for what it is.

You might be able to dual sport the bike (which means to add lights and a horn to make it street legal), but it depends on the laws of Ontario. We used to be able to dual sport our dirt bikes in BC, but not anymore.

The stock front forks are just fine, but they could benefit from an oil change. That's easy.

Can you show us a pic of how the front number plate mounts? We can likely recommend a headlight from there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #7

Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

As usual, I agree with Weldangrind. I suggest you clean/tune the carburetor, change the fork oil, and enjoy the bike as it is. After you have ridden the bike for a while you can make better decisions regarding modifications, et cetera.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #8

New carb from ebay or clean my original carb?

Okay sounds good, Ill take a picture of the front end to see about head lights. I'm a newbie at this so when you explain things please explain everything that Ill need to complete it. I did not know about Jets when you told me about them if I buy the one from ebay.

The front forks are good? why does my forks look so old and ghetto compared to some forks out there, the oil in them I should change your telling me, is it really hard and how often should the oil be changed in them?

Another question is about the plastic pieces on my bike im not a big fan of, I got cracks on one side and they will prolly not hold up for long, is there away to find a better plastic or whatever you guys recommend if I want to change the two pieces for the gas tank and the two side pieces on the side, Im not liking bluish / yellow color.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #9

Dual Sport the bike, front end pictures.

So I have some pictures of the front end let me know what you think.
I'm going to go buy the new carb from e-bay!

So when I get it in could you help me learn how to install it properly?

Also would it be a good idea to get anything else?
example something like a cable, break or throttle cable?

I don't know, not experience in things breaking with bikes yet.. I just wouldn't want to be so far away and something small breaks..

Nothing better then getting some info from the experience. What usually goes a lot on a bike? cables?

Thanks again for the help guys, more people the better.

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontsteer.jpg (87.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg frontsteer1.jpg (83.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg frontsteer3.jpg (79.3 KB, 99 views)

Old 10-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #10

I am pretty sure that you have a dirt only model. Likely that you will not be able to register it for road use. Really depends on the local laws in Ontario. I know that it won't happen in Kansas or many of the US states.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #11

Dirt Only -- hmm Headlight? Help

Hmm the manual that I got for it shows that I can install different mods on it, and it would be nice to have a light in the front for night time riding. I don't really need to make it street legal but comfy night time driving would be nice with nice headlight.

I have cracks as well in the side plastic pieces ill show you pictures of it, is there away to get different better quality pieces that will fit good and not rattle /squeak etc.

TIPS ANYONE: I got the new carb from ebay link downbelow.. Is there anything else I need to get once I get the new carb here in 10-20 days.. Should I buy new jets? how many jets do I need and if there is anything else let me know please.

Aswell, the manual I have for the bike does not show how much liters of oil it takes, does anyone know how many liters I would need? One bottle or two?

Thanks for the info.. let me show you the cracks I got in the plastic areas.
Any tips would be great, can I re paint these pieces? or should I get new ones? let me know if anyone has any good ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crack1.jpg (76.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg crack2.jpg (73.5 KB, 103 views)

Old 10-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #12

So many questions!

Let's break it down a bit, and just deal with a couple at a time for now. Yes, you should buy new jets for your carb. I can provide eBay links if you need.

You'll need about one litre of any 15W40 oil, even diesel oil from Walmart.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:37 AM   #13

Most decal are made from ABS plastic. That "acetone" trick works if u knows how | "Re-weld" trick using soldering iron/ heat gun …

Old 10-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #14

You can also glue the plastic back together from the back side using ABS cement.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #15

Slow jet: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mikuni-VM28-4...d16db9&vxp=mtr

Main jet: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mikuni-HS-HSR...89006d&vxp=mtr

You can certainly get them for less in Canada. Just remove your jets and take them to the local Yamaha dealer. If they don't have them, they can order them. They'll ask you what type of bike, but don't answer that question. Tell them that you don't know what type of bike, and that you bought the Mikuni on eBay. Once they look in their catalogs, they'll find the jets.