Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #16

just for a block...

Ok, so far mods are 26mm Mikuni, Aodonly exhaust, and 16t sprocket I installed about 45 mins ago. I live in town, so took it up the block a few times, then decided to ham on it a bit. Only 7 miles on it...oops...lol. But in the course of my block, got it up to 50MPH on factory speedo, still 3rd gear, approx 8k RPM. Feels really strong since dropping main jet from 115 jet. Running a 105. It no longer flutters, just runs real strong all the way up to 7.5-8k. Very happy. 16t sprocket...all I can say is WOW, what a difference. I'll have to see how she goes with one more gear left.

I didnt run it to redline, I figured close to 8k was enough with only 7 miles on it...but pulls strong until I shift, real strong for a little 125.

Last edited by Goody302; 05-05-2017 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added

Old 05-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #17

I wouldn't bother cutting registration marks into the swingarm. Your better off getting an alignment tool from ebay or amazon for around $10. Chain tensioners will have some play, especially the bolt&block type that are on my Aprilia. Motorcyclist had a tech article on wheel alignment a coupla years ago. They stated that riding a bike a mile with a 1 degree deviation was equal to dragging the rear tire sideways 100ft. Anywho, I put a 17t sprocket on the bike yesterday and rode it to work. I was able to briefly do a GPS verified 59mph@8200rpms on a level straight in a full tuck. After shifting into 4th gear it took almost a mile to reach top speed. Acceleration below 6000rpms is weak, but shifting at around 8800rpms I can keep up with traffic. I just wish the clutch had a shorter throw.
2000 Moto Guzzi California V11, resting in pieces

The cage: 1998 BMW Z3, 1.9L w/full Dinan engine upgrades

Old 05-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #18

@Skin--you are one of the only members with a mini that is NOT a Vader. How did you buy yours? Mail order or a physical dealer? Did you have issues like the Vader guys? Your 59 mph sounds promising; is the 17 tooth your only modification?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #19

So I installed the 16T sprocket and it makes a HUGE difference. I highly recommend it. Not sure I would go to 17T. I have not maxed out the RPMs yet so I don't know what the max speed is.

BTW, I think installing the new sprocket will NOT affect your speedometer because our speed sensor is in the front wheel. If it was in the transmission, then I can see that, but our speedometer should still work fine.

I bought this rear wheel lift from Harbor Freight for $26 (after 20% off) and it's great.

https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...and-65620.html

I have to admit, putting the chain back on and making sure it had enough slack and that both sides were equal distance was challenging.

I measured the distance from the center of the bolt to the end of the swingarm on both sides to make sure they matched. I also measured the center bolt of the wheel shaft to the center bolt that is near sprocket.

I went ahead and ordered a chain alignment tool just in case. for less than $10 on amazon, you can't go wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Alignment...alignment+tool

One mishap that I encountered was when I was putting the cover back over the sprocket, I somehow stripped the threads that held the top bolt so now my cover is only being held on by one bolt. I don't think it will go anywhere.

Here are some youtube videos for reference:

Old 05-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismways View Post
So I installed the 16T sprocket and it makes a HUGE difference. I highly recommend it. Not sure I would go to 17T. I have not maxed out the RPMs yet so I don't know what the max speed is.

BTW, I think installing the new sprocket will NOT affect your speedometer because our speed sensor is in the front wheel. If it was in the transmission, then I can see that, but our speedometer should still work fine.

I bought this rear wheel lift from Harbor Freight for $26 (after 20% off) and it's great.

https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...and-65620.html
I had to realign my chain after installing the new sprocket, having the proper tools makes life a helluva lot easier. Good call on the HF paddock stand. I bought a wheel chock from the local HF store a coupla years ago and gave it to one of my peeps. He put it in his trailer just in case one of us has a breakdown. He's unstranded my Aprilia twice since then. Harbor Freight has some good equipment, but I wouldn't by a hydraulic lift from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
@Skin--you are one of the only members with a mini that is NOT a Vader. How did you buy yours? Mail order or a physical dealer? Did you have issues like the Vader guys? Your 59 mph sounds promising; is the 17 tooth your only modification?
I ordered mine after seeing an advert on Craigslist. There are several websites that list the Icebear Little Monster(PMZ125-2). I clicked on the Venom Motorsports ad at the top of the forum homepage and they have a version of my bike for $1349.99 with free shipping and no sales tax for US customers. I paid $1699 for mine

https://www.venommotorsportscanada.c...torcycle-125cc

Anywho, My list of upgrades so far; racing CDI and coil, 26mm Mikuni carb, oil cooler, gutted and shortened muffler with exhaust wrap, inverted shift lever, and the 17t sprocket. The only way to go faster is to do a big bore kit, or drop in a Pitsterpro 150cc HO crate motor I'm gonna try to improve the aerodynamics a bit and make a bikini fairing that I can get behind in a full tuck, and try to lose an extra 10lb off my gut. I've lost 20lbs for this bike, but I'm a compulsive snacker.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin Mechanic View Post
I'm gonna try to improve the aerodynamics a bit and make a bikini fairing that I can get behind in a full tuck, and try to lose an extra 10lb off my gut. I've lost 20lbs for this bike, but I'm a compulsive snacker.
Dang there skin lol. I really thought I wanted one of those ( I kinda still do ) but I sometimes wish my lil ole 250 Dual Sport had more grunt, so I'm pretty sure Id get agitated at the 125 sooner than later.

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 05-08-2017, 11:23 PM   #22

Quote:

I ordered mine after seeing an advert on Craigslist. There are several websites that list the Icebear Little Monster(PMZ125-2). I clicked on the Venom Motorsports ad at the top of the forum homepage and they have a version of my bike for $1349.99 with free shipping and no sales tax for US customers. I paid $1699 for mine

https://www.venommotorsportscanada.c...torcycle-125cc
I had thought they were selling the Ice Bear product, but the fact that they are NOT selling the Ice Bear Fuerza had me thinking; then I saw both of the Ice Bear bikes and the Vader bikes on Kronik Racing's site, and Kronik advertises them as 'Boom'. I have a feeling that the Venom bike is another Boom bike not shown on the Boom/Baodiao site that looks like the Ice Bear Little Monster. If my theory is correct, you shouldn't regret getting an actual Ice Bear product. I wonder if Venom would be straight on who makes their X21 if someone called?

http://www.kronikracing.com/Lil-Monster_p_394.html
http://www.kronikracing.com/Fuerza-125_p_395.html
http://www.kronikracing.com/Baodiao-...on-_p_401.html (not sure if there is really a 'California edition' or is this just one a Californian can register?)
http://www.kronikracing.com/Baodiao-Lil-Duc_p_398.html (the one they call 'Lil Duck' that does its best to imitate a Little Monster)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #23

Hey Skin,
can you give us details on your racing CDI and coil? What benefit does that provide in performance?

Really loving how it rides with the 16T sprocket!

Last edited by prismways; 05-09-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post

...If my theory is correct, you shouldn't regret getting an actual Ice Bear product...
I don't regret buying it, but the quality doesn't appear to be any better than the others. I put the replacement tail light on last week, I've ridden it twice since then and the LEDs are starting to burn out. I'm going to ride it about 60 miles tomorrow morning, but not without reinstalling the tail light I bought from amazon. The instrument panel is also giving me some issues, but it's to be expected. Buying a new Chinese bike is like buying an old British bike. I'm expecting to find the Lucas logo on the wiring harness

Quote:
Hey Skin,
can you give us details on your racing CDI and coil? What benefit does that provide in performance?

Really loving how it rides with the 16T sprocket!
The coil provides higher voltage to the spark plug and the CDI eliminates the rev limiter. The stock CDI on my bike had a 6500rpm limit. With the racing CDI I can wind the engine up to 9000rpms, or until it flies apart. Of course now that I put the 17t sprocket on it, I won't need to go beyond 8000rpms when I'm riding the back roads, which was my main reason for buying the bike.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:27 PM   #25

Is this the setup that you put on your bike?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252733203584

do you think it can be contributing to your electrical system issues?

I saw this very comprehensive video regarding this upgrade and the guy got minimal improvements. Granted he worked on a 49cc moped, but still, it should be a much better improvement if you're going to go through the trouble.

Quote:
The coil provides higher voltage to the spark plug and the CDI eliminates the rev limiter. The stock CDI on my bike had a 6500rpm limit. With the racing CDI I can wind the engine up to 9000rpms, or until it flies apart. Of course now that I put the 17t sprocket on it, I won't need to go beyond 8000rpms when I'm riding the back roads, which was my main reason for buying the bike.

Last edited by prismways; 05-09-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #26

Video on how to remove the resistor in the spark plug

Has anybody ever tried this to see if it improves performance?

I guess it's like going from a A7RTC to an A7TC spark plug?

this next video does a good job of showing the type of spark you get from a non-resistor spark plug compared to one with a resistor

Old 05-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #27

prismways, I don't think the ignition upgrade is causing the electrical problem. It's probably a bad ground. The CDI and coil look like the ones in the ebay link, except my CDI has a 5-pin connector, and it was about $18. I haven't tried the non-resistor plug mod yet. I don't see why the guy in the video would waste time on an aftermarket ignition for a scooter with a CVT. If he wants to improve acceleration or top end speed he needs to swap out his pulley weights. Regarding the stripped bolt hole, you can shim the bolt by wrapping the threads with electrical tape. It's not a fix I would use on a motor mount bolt, but it'll do fine for a sprocket cover.

MOTOXtreme, What the ankle nipper lacks in performance it more than makes up for with the fun factor. If it had been on the market 2 years ago, I wouldn't have bought the Aprilia.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:57 PM   #28

Did you notice an improvement after upgrading your coil and CDI?

thanks for the tip on the stripped bolt hole, I'll give it a shot.

Quote:
prismways, I don't think the ignition upgrade is causing the electrical problem. It's probably a bad ground. The CDI and coil look like the ones in the ebay link, except my CDI has a 5-pin connector, and it was about $18. I haven't tried the non-resistor plug mod yet. I don't see why the guy in the video would waste time on an aftermarket ignition for a scooter with a CVT. If he wants to improve acceleration or top end speed he needs to swap out his pulley weights. Regarding the stripped bolt hole, you can shim the bolt by wrapping the threads with electrical tape. It's not a fix I would use on a motor mount bolt, but it'll do fine for a sprocket cover.

MOTOXtreme, What the ankle nipper lacks in performance it more than makes up for with the fun factor. If it had been on the market 2 years ago, I wouldn't have bought the Aprilia.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #29

Not bad...

Took my vader out yesterday for a top speed run. Have Aodonly exhaust, 16t sprocket, mikuni 26mm carb, 110 jet. By a tree line with no wind, 61MPH. Into the wind, like 10MPH breeze, 55MPH. With the wind, 64MPH. Factory speedo tho. Buddies z125 PRO speedo was same as mine at 50MPH. We raced, his is all stock, I steadily pull away from him through the gears. Not like blow his doors off, but by time I hit 4th gear, I got 2-3 bikes on him. Had fun!!

Old 05-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Did you notice an improvement after upgrading your coil and CDI?

thanks for the tip on the stripped bolt hole, I'll give it a shot.
My unscientific butt dyno registered an improvement in acceleration over the original set up, mainly because of the extended rpm range. With the stock CDI the bike wouldn't even reach the 7000rpm redline.