Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2018, 06:19 PM   #1

Rude ORION Powersports Experience

Sorry for the Long Story...

Back in February 2018, I was looking to get one of those little Pit Bikes just to have for some silly riding and they just looked like a lot of fun. Anyways I settled on getting the SSR 125. Saw a lot of people had them and a lot of people had good things to say about a $600-$800 bike.

I stumbled upon OrionPowerSports and their website seemed clean and fairly organized so I stuck with them.

Well everything likely would have gone well, But when I received my bike I was getting started with taking the metal frame off so I could get the assembly process started. I noticed a loose bit of cardboard right under the engine and underneath that card board I saw wet soaked cardboard.

I moved the loose piece and saw a good sized puddle of oil underneath it. I'll add that I find it strange that a useless piece of cardboard was somehow dry and underneath it was spilled oil.. (Looks as if someone tried to cove it up or something) and also there were some orange bits of broken plastic (My fairings are orange). I at first thought the worst, that the engine some how got damaged and got a hole in it.

But from further inspection the engine looked fine and I noticed that the overflow tube was directly above this puddle and figure it just spilled over.

NOW that that is figured out I am on to wondering where these small bits of orange plastics came from as I didnt notice any of the fairings looking busted AND I add the part about the oil because that is the only reason I noticed these bits of plastics earlier on. Otherwise I wouldnt have noticed till way later (Which is also an important part of the story).

So after looking the bike over more thoroughly I found the Rear Right fairing had a crack in it, near the seat, where chunks of plastics broke off. (Mind you, the SSR comes covered in graphics which are then covered with a white peal off cover) So that is why I didnt really notice anything at first as it was covered by stickers on top, then from the bottom it wasnt really that noticeable.

So i thought "Well that sucks but oh well its only plastic Im sure I can easily get a replacement or the dealer will hook me up since it was shipped this way and is called about on the day of delivery" WRONG.

I delayed calling as I wasnt too worried about it and just kept on with my assembly and would call them after I was done.

SO I call ORION and explain that i just got the bike hours ago & the way that I discovered the broken plastic and that I didnt even notice it until I was into the assembly process. This guy then laughs... and says "well did you see it when the guy delivered it" I said "uh.. no it was covered with stickers and I didnt really notice it until I saw the broken bits covered by a piece of cardboard".

He then chuckles and says "wow, you really dont know how to follow directions, huh? You're suppose to inspect the bike and sign it as damaged" I said "oh... well ya i mean, i didnt notice the damage underneath the stickers, so I didnt sign it as so". He then continues to be rude saying stuff along the lines of "You simply just dont know how to follow directions, you inspect the bike before signing, I guess we would have to call you and explain our policy for you to under stand that, huh?"..

As much as I wanted to lay into this guy I kept my cool and said.. "sure.. but anyways what can we do about this? I bought and payed, in full, for a BRAND NEW bike from you guys and it was sent to me damaged.. and i didnt notice until I started to assemble it. Should I have assembled it in front of the delivery driver?" He says "Well, we sell the plastic kits for $80 on our website" I replied with "oh so i just payed full price for a bike from you and now have to give you $80 more?..." he says "Yep. or you can file a claim with the shipping company, but really its not our problem you didnt follow directions"

I then get into explaining to the guy how ridiculous it is that there policy pretty wants me to build the bike, unwrap everything, look over every single part all while the delivery driver sits and waits for me to sign. His only reply is "well ya, he cant leave until you sign for it" at that point I just said "ok thanks for the information unfortunately you are left with an unsatisfied customer" And hung up.

Now, this may not have struck me as much (As i understand policies and I understand that some employees can only do so much in their power) but the fact that this guy was a total DICK about it is what causes me to give them a bad rep. Had he maybe been apologetic and understanding and then explained the policy and that he cant really do anything about it, he just immediately started being rude and implying that I'm stupid or something.

AND my other problem is if I had a WAY more important part damaged, that ORION would have just told me "oh well, not our problem. You didn't notice it right away. Good luck." Then I would have been furious. AND also I do not want that to happen to someone else who receives a much more severely damaged bike.

After this I really started to look into ORION PowerSports. (Which I should have done before purchasing..) and as I read their google reviews and BBB claims.

(they claim on their website to have an 'A' BBB ranking but on BBB site its a D-... ).

So right there they are already up to shady business. Plus their website lists their address as a different building than where their actual store is located.. I had to do some digging to actually find the building and address of the actual business.. Just another suspicious thing, that finding information about the business is somewhat hard to do..

Anyways, There was NOT one response from ORION, on google or BBB, that wasnt rude or calling the customer a liar or stupid, Also it seemed as though the person responding to the reviews was making stuff up... And most of the reviews claiming that they were also met with rude customer service, similar to what I experienced.
The good reviews are from people that didnt have to deal with customer service, it seems.

So my jaw about hit the floor knowing that I just bought a $800 machine from such a terrible company. When usually I am very cautious who I buy from on the internet especially exceeding $100.

& That my bike, is SOL if anything is wrong with it within the first start up and ride... LUCKILY so far all has been okay, besides the broken plastic.

Just my story and warning about ORION's poor customer service and that if you order from them you better hope nothing is wrong with your machine, they wont care once they have your money.

When all i wanted was a replacement piece of plastic, could only imagine if you needed a much more expensive/complex part...

GOOGLE:
https://www.google.com/search?q=orio...7e8a5c2f7ac2,1,,,

BBB:
https://www.bbb.org/central-texas/bu...and-complaints

Old 06-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #2

yup it is how some of them work it, i am getting a full assembly bike but wil still do my own pdi .but plan to cut all the plastic away an inspect it before i sign as i will be picking mine up about 1/8th mile from my house there is a bridge that ups cant cross an they dont have any small trucks ,so i will check the oil as well as i may start it up too ,we check what we can think of couse later its like why did i not check that before . sorry to hear it an you did some home work too i did choose txmotorsports an they did me right so far ???, shipped on monday got my mco paper work on friday ,so there plan was for me to get the bike an the paper work the same day pretty nice last friday,after storys about them all,with me its now not TX, its UPS freight should have been hear friday then today ,so my not so bad situtation yet it it will be hear tomorrow ,not holding my breath until its out for delivery at this point
all kinds of sorry from ups is what i get ,
see they know there are so many others in line to buy,dont think they count on repeat customers ,dont know why some of the service is so bad ,it just is what it is with the china bikes sometimes, among the world we live in as well,times have changed, they know they have us over the barral of sorts, customer service is all but gone anymore for the most part ,it depends on how there day is going ,an sometimes we get it but mostly not,they also get us through the excitement of getting a new toy ,an we forget many things too,not saying it was right

Last edited by Hawk 229cc; 06-11-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1Rider View Post
That bad service seems to be the norm when it com s to these enterprises.
Tx Powersports is about as awful!

Ya i saw a lot of people recommend txpowersports but they just didnt seem right to me. I went with killermotorsports when i bought my hawk 250 and they were pretty nice and helpful even when there wasnt much they could do. They recommended places to get parts and even mentioned chinariders as a place to find help and information about the bike.

I guess ORION's clean looking website was just a mask for there dirty business.

Last edited by Weldangrind; 06-14-2018 at 01:00 AM.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Back to the Hellcat I also purchased from TX Motorsports.
The Front axle came with a non-locking nut, and had no cotterpin to keep the nut on. No other mechanical part kept the axle on.
My question is:
What would the Owner of Tao Tao say to the Grandmother who bought the bike for her grandson who is now in the hospital or even dead because of their design negligence and stupidity?
What would he say to the family who lost their house in a Tao Tao Hellcat/water heater incident because of a stupid design?
The lock nut wasn't with then separate parts? There is no cotter pin needed.
This is the nut that came with mine. Or similar

http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.ph.../cPath/159_211

Old 06-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Now for the Ice Bear 350 Street Quad.
Looks real nice! The Chain came so tight I suspect willfull sabotage!
The brakes are all tied in to the Same hydraulic line system. Lose brake fluid and pressure in the front brake--well you have just lost your rear brakes!
These are supposed to be street road legal quads. Luckily it has a parking brake you can grab that is cable connected to hopefully save your ass when all the brakes have failed!
SO the brake system is like most of the vehicles on the road today? Umm! I guess I need to park my truck just to be safe.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Inverted forks do not belong on dirt bikes! Period!
Man, every dirt bike made in the last 15 years by every manufacturer on the planet better be recalled then.

The other advantages of an upside down fork greatly make up for the one disadvantage, which is the exposed seal surface. Those cheesy plastic fork covers actually do a really good job of protecting the stanchion tube from damage. A little extra care and maintenance on the user end, such as a seal cleaning from time to time, will help to greatly prolong the life of the seals. A seal mate tool is a wonderful cheap investment that takes a couple minutes to use.

The reduced unsprung weight, increased rigidity, increased stanchion seal and bushing spacing (lower friction and stability), larger stanchion to tube overlap, and radial brake mounting capabilities greatly outweigh the possible decreased life of a cheap and relatively easy to replace wear item.

Those are just the reasons bike manufacturers switched to them, but then again, what do all of those engineers know.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #7

NickThrash - thank you for your very detailed and honest review of your experience with Orion. It's an unfortunate thing that most of these sellers end up being shady and rude to their customers. I have had similar bad experiences with TXPowersports, which is why I actively steer people away from giving them their business. We, the consumers, have the ability to shape our market with a little effort.

Even though I bought a Hawk a second time to replace my stolen on, I do know that my next purchase will either be from CSC, a company that cares about and helps their customers, or from a local retailer.

I have purchased both of my Hawks from Killermotorsports, and so far both experiences have been a positive one. That doesn't mean they are perfect, especially now that they are under new ownership. Others in the past had bad experiences with them as well, but so far everybody I know that has dealt with them in the last year or two hasn't had any real problems, aside from one member on here with an MCO issue that the new owner will not assist with because the bike was sold under the previous owner. The way the new owner has treated said person has definitely made me a little more wary.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
NickThrash - thank you for your very detailed and honest review of your experience with Orion. It's an unfortunate thing that most of these sellers end up being shady and rude to their customers. I have had similar bad experiences with TXPowersports, which is why I actively steer people away from giving them their business. We, the consumers, have the ability to shape our market with a little effort.

Even though I bought a Hawk a second time to replace my stolen on, I do know that my next purchase will either be from CSC, a company that cares about and helps their customers, or from a local retailer.

I have purchased both of my Hawks from Killermotorsports, and so far both experiences have been a positive one. That doesn't mean they are perfect, especially now that they are under new ownership. Others in the past had bad experiences with them as well, but so far everybody I know that has dealt with them in the last year or two hasn't had any real problems, aside from one member on here with an MCO issue that the new owner will not assist with because the bike was sold under the previous owner. The way the new owner has treated said person has definitely made me a little more wary.
Ya the old KMS had a pretty good constumer service (for me at least) when i was trying to order my HAWk. There was one spefic guy (dont recall his name) but he was really hepful with giving info and even mentioned “chinariders” to me.

It just baffles me that ORION went straight to being rude and avoiding any responsibility for their sale.
All it would have simply taken would have been a:

“hey im sorry to hear that but unfortunately through our policy and the one with the shipping company, its kind of out of our hands and we cant do anything unless you would have noticed it before signing. And i know we sell plastic kits, i myself do not have the ability to give out free products. Best i can do for you is refer you to the shipping company’s service and go from there.”

Easy. But, instead, the dude sat there sarcastically insulting me and being snide and rude. So i went to BBB to let people know. And even ORIONS’s responses on there included sarcastic stuff like “sorry, you got your little feelings hurt” when i would mention an appology for being snide and rude.

Like what kind of people are like that?!
Id get it if i was being difficult, but really all i did was inform them that i got shipped a damage product and they immediately tried to avoid any responsibility.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #9

that's a really outrageous price for a little plastic piece if you ask me but anyways

I used "e6000" glue to repair a plastic timing belt cover, it's really really strong and since your problem is under stickers the crack would be obscured.

my thinking is $7 at walmart is less than $80 replacement and who knows what else will crack and break, worth the 7 bucks

good luck,
mike

Old 06-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggnoff View Post
that's a really outrageous price for a little plastic piece if you ask me but anyways

I used "e6000" glue to repair a plastic timing belt cover, it's really really strong and since your problem is under stickers the crack would be obscured.

my thinking is $7 at walmart is less than $80 replacement and who knows what else will crack and break, worth the 7 bucks

good luck,
mike
Hey thanks. Ya i found the same FULL plastic set, with 7 different color options for like $20 on Amazon. So screw them. Orion wont get a penny more from me

Old 06-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #11

WOW... I am shocked. I bought an Apollo DB-x18 from them about 2 months ago. I called several times prior to the purchase, and got good service every time. When I received my bike it was missing the kick start, I called spoke with Jason, and I had the replacement within a week. Do you know who you spoke with?

I dealt with Jason every time I called, and when making the purchase. I never got the impression that they would act like this if there was an issue.

Sorry you experienced this.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #12

Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThrash View Post
Ya i saw a lot of people recommend txpowersports but they just didnt seem right to me. I went with killermotorsports when i bought my hawk 250 and they were pretty nice and helpful even when there wasnt much they could do. They recommended places to get parts and even mentioned chinariders as a place to find help and information about the bike.

I guess ORION's clean looking website was just a mask for there dirty business.
I went with TX like said i think we take a chance someone will make a mistake with our order ,or that we will meet some rude people ,now my other post said ,fully assy bike, it came on the 7th day wich i cant complain to much ,an my mco was hear in 3 days,my delivery for full assembley was couse i knew i had to meet the guy down the road ,couse of bridge ups freight cant cross,so when i got there an there was bike in crate ,my choises were not accept delivery via dealer ,an wait for another bike ,or bring to hub an use small truck

I thought oh well went home an got 2 4 way dollies rolled in home in the crate was bish ,found out i am still pretty strong ,tx refunded me the assembley fees ,an apologizied for the mistake ,so all an all i all would i still buy from them yes i would ,they made it right an were nice about it too,so i think most people get the service they should get ,they sell thousands of these power sports over jap power sports by far now each year ,so now its just to be expected sometimes no fun but happens ,so i got mine for like $1250.00 for the bike i got an the money i cant complain to much ,but yes i dont like dealing with rude people an try not to sink to there level unless prevoked to much,then its on,but they were nice ,an i was too

Old 06-18-2018, 04:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk 229cc View Post
I went with TX like said i think we take a chance someone will make a mistake with our order ,or that we will meet some rude people ,now my other post said ,fully assy bike, it came on the 7th day wich i cant complain to much ,an my mco was hear in 3 days,my delivery for full assembley was couse i knew i had to meet the guy down the road ,couse of bridge ups freight cant cross,so when i got there an there was bike in crate ,my choises were not accept delivery via dealer ,an wait for another bike ,or bring to hub an use small truck

I thought oh well went home an got 2 4 way dollies rolled in home in the crate was bish ,found out i am still pretty strong ,tx refunded me the assembley fees ,an apologizied for the mistake ,so all an all i all would i still buy from them yes i would ,they made it right an were nice about it too,so i think most people get the service they should get ,they sell thousands of these power sports over jap power sports by far now each year ,so now its just to be expected sometimes no fun but happens ,so i got mine for like $1250.00 for the bike i got an the money i cant complain to much ,but yes i dont like dealing with rude people an try not to sink to there level unless prevoked to much,then its on,but they were nice ,an i was too
I can tell you right now they were nice and quick with that refund because they would have been hit with a chargeback for services not rendered. Businesses don't want chargebacks.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #14

I'm confused. I've been thinking of picking up an Orion RXB-210L and I hit this thread.
The google link at the bottom has 4.1 stars, very good compared to Killer (1.8) or Superior (2.8), and the BBB link refers to Coolster Pit Bikes at a different location in Tx.
Is it the same company? Have things changed? has anyone else had a bad experience with Orion Powersports?
They don't even carry anything "Coolsterr", but Killer and Superior do.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post

Makes me look like an angel lol