Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2023, 08:54 AM   #1

Trk502

I bought a TRK502 back in August 2023, and I couldn't be happier with it. Unlike all of my other bikes, I've done a few modifications to it, but it's brilliant just how it is. I've added lights, heated grips, a 15T countershaft sprocket, a toolbox, 3" pullback risers, and a center stand. It came with the OEM luggage. I've put about 4000 miles on it since August... I really haven't ridden any of my other three bikes since I bought it. A quick trip here and there, but this is the defacto bike because it's so comfortable. As the weather gets colder, it's also the only one with good wind protection, so it's the one I always end up riding. My Leoncino, SG400, and Buccaneer are all just waiting in the wings for me to get over my initial infatuation and ride them again. But they'll have to wait until the spring methinks.

The only thing I'm not in love with is the color. Gray was never my style, I wanted red but it wasn't offered in the States. But that's super minor, and for about a $400 Aliexpress order I could change the color if I wanted. Gas mileage is 50mpg if I keep it at the speed limit, 45mpg if I hot dog it everywhere and speed on the interstate, and 55-60mpg if I take it easy and stick to surface streets. I have a range of 225 - 300 miles depending on the gas mileage I get. But that's to a bone dry tank. I generally fill up at the 200 mile mark. The bike is super comfortable and I've done 600 mile days and been refreshed the next morning. It's a great machine and has a GREAT saddle. It's heavier than all the midsize competition... but it's also BIGGER than all the midsize competition. Two fatties and a weeks worth of gear easy, and the bike has the supension to support that (pun intended).

OEM saddlebags are stupid big. 58 liters for each side bag (on the 502. On the 502X they're 58 left and 52 right, I believe), and a 50 liter topbox. One sidecase is larger than the left and right sides combined of the biggest soft saddlebags I own. They're beyond enormous. I went on a camping trip and could not find enough gear to fill them. I brought a camping cot, an extra tent, an extra sleeping bag, a full dSLR camera kit, food, beer, a mess kit, and I still couldn't fill them all up. Side bags were packed but the topcase was 3/4 empty, and this was with me TRYING to overpack just for shits and giggles. In reality, I don't ever see the need for having the topcase on the bike, even for multi-state trips. Maybe when riding two-up, so my pillion has a backrest, but otherwise there's just no need.

I'm stoked about this thing, and in fact I'm about to leave for work and guess which bike I'm taking

Charles.