Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #1

Lifan LF200GY-5

Paid $1400 from a local dealer who had one 08 left. It was 2 hours from here and the guy delivered it to me the next day so I didn't have to ride it home illegally.

I changed the oil and went over everything, although the dealer did do a great job and had changed the oil. I got it the Monday before Memorial day weekend, and the Friday of Memorial Day weekend decided to take a surf trip up to the Outer Banks. I wanted an adventure. Rode it through a couple of heavy rains and a hail storm. Didn't do over 55mph and took the long way for scenery and lower speed limits. Took me about 6.5-7 hours each way. The bike performed flawlessly! It was a great first adventure on my bike.

I changed the oil as soon as I got back and checked the oil screen and cleaned it. Was not too much metal shavings in it really. I have changed the oil every 300-400 miles. I got one flat tire, but it wasn't the bike's fault-it was from a roofing nail.

The absolute only remotely naggy thing that has happened is that occasionally in the mornings, it takes a little to start. I read that by adjusting the clip in the carb, it takes care of this, but it hasn't been too bad yet.

The wiring under the light in the front was just a bundle hanging and seemed like it could create some problems. I just wrapped the entire thing in electrical tape and it has been good since. It would be nice if that was in a little case or something.

So in the little time that I have had it, I have put about 1800 miles on it-mostly road time, but trail ride may-be once/twice a week now. Knock on wood, but the bike has given me absolutely no real problems at all and has been a blast to ride! It has gotten smoother as I have gained mileage. My bike also seems to like 15w40 compared to 10w30....at least in this summer heat.

I would recommend this bike to anyone based on my experience. I will say this....If I had found a Zong Sierra 200 when I was looking, I would have gotten that in a heart beat. I have read some good reviews of those as well, and think they look the best out of any chinese dual sport I have seen. Just my opinion. I hope this little review helps someone out there!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #2

Thank you for posting the good review, Tim! I'm glad you are enjoying your LF200-GY5.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #3

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
I had an '08 Lifan GY5, too. I bought it as a graduation present to myself in 2008 and had it until about 2 months ago. I had nearly 10,000 (almost) trouble free miles on it. It mysteriously died one day while I rode it and I could not get it running again.

Not trying to worry you, I loved that bike. Glad to hear that you're having a good time, it's money very well spent, if you ask me.