Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2024, 03:04 PM   #1

Anyone install an aftermarket kickstand after lowering their bikes? Most of the kickstand I've found on Amazon have a rear stud for the spring, while the Templar has the spring on the front.

I don't have a welder so I can't cut the stock kickstand. I did grind the stand a bit so it had more angle. It can hold the bike up for now now. I have to lean the bike way to the right to kick the stand down since it's too long.

Old 05-03-2024, 03:57 PM   #2

You may just want to take it to a local welder or auto parts store with a machine shop to shorten it up. This is mild steel and easy to work with. Shouldn’t cost that much if your not in a rush. Just my thoughts…

Old 05-07-2024, 09:20 AM   #3

Hello everyone, where can I get parts for this engine, it has a knocking noise not in idle not accelerating but when engine is decelerating (rev up no noise let go gas tic-tic-tic)
I will start to investigate this noise furthermore but I am afraid to start needing replacing parts.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdurancol View Post
Hello everyone, where can I get parts for this engine, it has a knocking noise not in idle not accelerating but when engine is decelerating (rev up no noise let go gas tic-tic-tic)
I will start to investigate this noise furthermore but I am afraid to start needing replacing parts.
Have you adjusted the valves? That should be #1 on the list. And, there should be about one quart of 15W-40 engine oil in there (motorcycle engine oil, or Rotella T4). Other oils might work based on recommendations from forum members.

Engine parts have limited availability, and many of them are not properly described in the vendor's listings with ambiguous engine names (often on aliexpress, etc). This engine is a Zongshen CB250F, specifically the 172FMM. Either designation might show up, but sometimes it shows CG engine. This is probably the most difficult issue with these bikes.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:40 AM   #5

In stock

The X is back in stock at PSM. Haven't checked the ebay or Amazon listings. My son just ordered one. We were going to get an M but not sure if/when they will be back in stock. Having the 6th gear is useful anyway.

Yes, the price went up, as suspected.

Last edited by Thumper; 05-11-2024 at 10:55 AM.

Old 05-15-2024, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
This engine is a Zongshen CB250F, specifically the 172FMM.

If you don't have a balance shaft then it's the CB250F(ZS172FMM-3A) but if you do have the newer Templar X with a balance shaft then you have the PR250(ZS172FMM-5). Just saying this so fdurancol can figure out which 172 he has.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM   #7

Checked the PSM site this morning:
X - $1949
M - $1749
Base - $1599

Will be interested to see what the prices do throughout the year, I'm planning on picking up an M or Base in October when my son gets his motorcycle permit
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old 05-11-2022, 08:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Take a look at the FMF Power Bomb header for the Honda CRF150. What does that bulge in the pipe do for performance?
"The PowerBomb is a “pre-muffler” of sorts which helps to lower the bikes sound output by providing more sound absorbing surface area for the sound medium (exhaust gases)."

This is what they say. FMF doesn't call it an expansion chamber. They mention sound reduction and power increase, but without calling it an expansion chamber. But all of the 2-stroke pipes have integrated full expansion chambers. Maybe this is semantics, but a 4 cycle engine can't benefit from the classic expansion chamber, or they would make pipes with them for 4 stroke bikes.

An expansion chamber is different:
"The basic idea behind an expansion chamber is to use the momentum and pressure of the exhaust gases to create a pump that squeezes more air and fuel into the cylinder during the intake stroke. It does the same sort of thing that a turbocharger does, but it does it without moving parts."

A collector in a multi-cylinder 4-sroke exhaust system is related. The collector is at the union of the headpipes, but before the muffler (which can be a megaphone, which IS in fact an expansion chamber of sorts). Pulses are "tuned" at the collector to create a vacuum following each pulse. This creates an extraction effect, sucking more gases out of the cylinder during the exhaust stroke, and allowing more gases in on the intake stroke. It is also NOT an expansion chamber.

Last edited by Thumper; 07-20-2022 at 09:39 PM.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:14 AM   #9

OK. Maybe it isn't an expansion chamber per se. But FMF uses the design. Did I create a power bomb when I did my cat delete? Seems more powerful. I also drill the exhaust. I posted this in the photos and videos section.
Name:  InnerHoneycombOpenedLoRez.JPG
Views: 1144
Size:  167.4 KB
Name:  InnerSteelTubeCutoffLoRez.JPG
Views: 1130
Size:  176.0 KB
Name:  sealedpipe-LoRez.JPG
Views: 1124
Size:  155.1 KB

Seems like a power bomb

Last edited by Thumper; 07-20-2022 at 09:39 PM.

Old 05-11-2022, 03:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
"The PowerBomb is a “pre-muffler” of sorts which helps to lower the bikes sound output by providing more sound absorbing surface area for the sound medium (exhaust gases)."

This is what they say. FMF doesn't call it an expansion chamber. They mention sound reduction and power increase, but without calling it an expansion chamber. But all of the 2-stroke pipes have integrated full expansion chambers. Maybe this is semantics, but a 4 cycle engine can't benefit from the classic expansion chamber, or they would make pipes with them for 4 stroke bikes.

An expansion chamber is different:
"The basic idea behind an expansion chamber is to use the momentum and pressure of the exhaust gases to create a pump that squeezes more air and fuel into the cylinder during the intake stroke. It does the same sort of thing that a turbocharger does, but it does it without moving parts."

A collector in a multi-cylinder 4-sroke exhaust system is related. The collector is at the union of the headpipes, but before the muffler (which can be a megaphone, which IS in fact an expansion chamber of sorts). Pulses are "tuned" at the collector to create a vacuum following each pulse. This creates an extraction effect, sucking more gases out of the cylinder during the exhaust stroke, and allowing more gases in on the intake stroke. It is also NOT an expansion chamber.
Sounds more like a resonator than tuned length headers or an x-pipe.
Which effectively has no effect other than changing exhaust note.
That makes sense.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 12-08-2022, 07:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc3 View Post
My handguards from amazon should be here tomorrow. Let you know how they fit
I got a set of hand guards just like those myself. The way I ended up mounting them was by using just the threaded part that the bolt on the ends screw into. I just tapped it in snug and screwed the end of the hand guard into it. Don’t worry about trying to drive it in to far on the throttle side. If you do, the throttle grip won’t turn freely. Mine turned out fine. Very tight. And those particular ones fit the Templar very well. Be careful with the two screws on both of the clamps. They will strip. I tightened down too much on one of the screws and ended up having to retap it. It’s aluminum. But they will take a lot of torque. Just be careful. You want them tight. The clamps do most of the holding. The end bolts do solidify everything up good too. Mine wont move at all.

Old 12-08-2022, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
a few more
They look great!

Old 04-08-2023, 10:13 AM   #13

What are the symptoms?
My hot exhaust lighting the brush the other day has me thinking I need to rejet more rich, or at least enrich the airscrew (tighten it another 1/4 turn). I still have some popping when I let off the gas.

Old 06-16-2023, 11:49 AM   #14

Quote:
@GypsyR See my post on the nibbi carb, it is a waste of money, almost exactly the same as the stock. I was able to get my stock performing just fine with a little bit of work. If I were to replace it I would get something better like this.
Ha! It is a genuine Maikuni carb

Last edited by Thumper; 06-16-2023 at 12:25 PM.

Old 06-25-2023, 04:36 PM   #15

Not sure if this has been on here before, but I found that a paint can opener works great for adjusting the clickers on the top of the forks. Not a lot of room under the bars...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clicker driver.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	29497  

2022 Hawk 250 - Mikuni clone carb, jetted appropriately. Pro Tork CRF 150 pipe. Nibbi pod filter. Tusk Chub bars with riser adapters. Amazon levers and foot pegs. Typical gearing change for street... Acerbis hand guards. Nibbi grips. Shortened rear fender. No graphics

2022 Templar X - Stock carb rejetted appropriately, Nibbi grips, Amazon hand guards. Amazon seat cover. Acerbis skid plate, heavily modded. Shortened rear "fender". Custom graphic kit.