Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #1

HF generators

My friend who we've been helping get her log house together is looking to replace her generator. Currently, I have her late husbands old Homelight 1600W unit extension corded into the house so she can plug in the fridge and a lamp when she looses her power. It obviously won't run the pellet stove or much else, but at least her food won't go bad and she can see in one room.

I've been looking at either the 5500W or 6500W electric start units from Harbor Freight. Both supposedly will run the lights, fridge, pellet stove and also, 220V for the well. I've read the online reviews and most look very good, especially for the $$$. I know that the motors (Greyhound) are made by Lifan, so I don't have a problem there. Also, I understand they won't purr as quiet as a Honda....but she's just looking for power, not worried about noise.

Anyone have any real life experience with either of these?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #2

I think for the occasional use she will give that they are a bargain.

Just keep it sheltered when not needed.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #3

All I can say is I've had experiance with Lifan engines and the generator itself should be pretty foolproof so I say go for it.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #4

I don't have much practical experience with generators, but a little math helps when sizing them. A typical 15 amp circuit @ 120 volts = 1800 watts, so be sure to select a generator that will meet your basic needs plus a cushion. For example, you'd want the fridge to be on a dedicated circuit, and the same is true for a deep freeze. I'm not sure what a pellet stove draws, but it might need a dedicated circuit as well. Let's say she is only concerned with the pellet stove, fridge and well; that would account for 5400 watts right there, assuming the pellet stove and well are rated at 15 amps each (not likely, but a little overkill is good insurance).

With a 6500 watt generator, that would leave 1100 watts (less than one 15 amp circuit) to power light bulbs and everything else. it would be wise to research the actual current draw of each critical item and do the math. I would also set up a small sub panel with breakers for each device to protect the main breaker.

Yes, I'd trust a Lifan.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #5

We lose our power a lot, so I bought a Hyundai generator (excellent warranty), and installed a transfer switch.
The switch has individual switches and breakers on it, so I can toggle between circuits.
The well, fridge, freezer, and furnace don't all have to powered up at the same time, so when I need one, I shut another off. My generator is only 3500 watts.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #6

Not all the HF generators have Lifan engines. I have noticed recently that the 13 hp generator at the local HF did have a Lifan, but the 16 hp was a different brand, as were some of the smaller models. So you might want to check before buying.

Also, I have read a lot of reviews that talk of using a 20% off coupon for generator purchases, but in the last several months, every 20% off coupon I have seen has excluded the bigger ticket items such as generators, compressors, welders, and some other things. Bummer.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyjoe
Not all the HF generators have Lifan engines. I have noticed recently that the 13 hp generator at the local HF did have a Lifan, but the 16 hp was a different brand, as were some of the smaller models. So you might want to check before buying.

Also, I have read a lot of reviews that talk of using a 20% off coupon for generator purchases, but in the last several months, every 20% off coupon I have seen has excluded the bigger ticket items such as generators, compressors, welders, and some other things. Bummer.
Yep.... I've seen some Loncin motors there on other items, as well. I have a Loncin motor in one of my Honda-noids....if not in both, and they seem quite bullet proof, as well. I've hammered them pretty hard with no problems.
That's a true bummer about the 20% off coupon! :x I was counting on using one of those! I'll have to take a look...... Thanks for the heads-up! .....and thanks for all the great input, gang! There really is a lot to concider.....but they sure do seem to be a great bang for her limited buck.

My main concern is getting as many things working for her, at the twist of a key. Right now, she's out there in the dark and cold, in the rain, tugging on a pull rope in her bath robe. There's gotta be a better way!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #8

Seems to me to look at the max wattage of each device that she wants to power up at one time and then size the generator. Just because you have a 15 amp circuit doesn't mean the draw will be 1800 watts.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #9

Remember the hair dryer.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
Seems to me to look at the max wattage of each device that she wants to power up at one time and then size the generator. Just because you have a 15 amp circuit doesn't mean the draw will be 1800 watts.
That's my opinion as well. It pays to do the math before shopping.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #11

I can't answer your question about Chinese generators but I'm sure the generators I've had in the past where made in China with either US or Japanese nameplates on the motors. I used to have a generator mounted in a box of my semi trailer. I wanna say it was 3000 watts and I think it had a B&S motor. I used it to run a space heater in the cab and or the block heater. It was a quite little generator but would sometimes trip when running both the 1500 watt heater and the 1500 watt block heater at the same time. It was a good little generator but couldn't handle the salt spray being kicked up from the tires and rusted out very quickly. I now have a 5500 watt Coleman? generator with a 8-13hp Subaru engine, which is more then enough to run what I need, but it's very noisy and eats fuel compared to the smaller generator I used to have. For example, I can run my 19amp 120 volt hot water heater, about 10-15 amp fridge, and a few lights around the house or in the garage I can run my air compressor which is about 2500 watts while useing a 15amp power tool, plus the lights for the garage. As mentioned do your homework, and maybe add an additional 10-20% in case you forget something. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #12

I'm currently looking at backup generators for the new house. A local electric motor service shop (with a good reputation) is selling King Canada generators:

They're running ~$900 with enough juice to run fridge, microwave, well pump, lights, kitchen outlets, etc... Basically everything but the dryer and electric furnace.

They're not a Honda but I can get 3 or 4 for the price of the equivalent Honda/Yamaha generator.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 03-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #13

That's really cheap for 9000 watts! 8O

Old 03-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #14

That surge rating, it's actually 7500 - another 'gotcha' when shopping for generators.

Often the advertised rating is the surge, which can only support output at that level for a minute or less. Your really gotta read the fine print with generators.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #15

the power

Bottom line is always buy a genset larger than you need. At some point you will max it out - better safe than sorry.