Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > News, Support, & Feedback
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #1

Do you agree with Crazy Carl?

CrazyCarl suggested a contest to replace the 'China Riders' image at the top of the page. I don't normally post PM's but frankly I this one really cheesed me off.

So, honest opinions please. If I'm doing the community a disservice, please let me know. No repercusions - in the history of chinariders.net I've only deleted 2 accounts. Disagreeing with me is not grounds for dismissal.

BTW - I am aware chinariders.net is hardly the pinnacle of web design. My issue with this message is not the idea that chinariders.net is in need of a facelift or the concept of a 'banner contest', it's the derogatory and preechy tone of the message. Every hear the old adage, "You get more flies with honey than vinegar" .

Thanks,

Frostbite

Site Administrator, Dictator, and Clip-Art rapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCarl
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
It sounds like an interesting idea. However, there is no guarantee that the 'new' banner is any better than the old one. I don't want to be obligated to install an ugly banner to satisfy contest conditions.
Well Frost-man I'm going to be straight forward and honest with you and you may not like it but it almost has to be better than the current one. The current banner looks like it was created in Word-Art, cut out of a word document and turned into a banner. To some credit though, at least the advertising is gone.

Assuming that the new banner would be ugly I think is a kind of insult to the creative community here. Several months ago people already started to generate ideas and were basically dictatorially turned down.

How about asking - in an unbiased manner - what the community feels about it? This is about the welfare of the community right?

Also, if you feel that the website is reaching a point where it's too large or expensive to maintain by yourself, there's no shame in letting everyone know and share the burden. Again...it's a community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
Also, a contest generally involves a prize of some sort and I don't have any lying around at the moment
I don't think people here are asking for a whole lot and the honor of having their work voted on and displayed would certainly be enough. To be straight forward again, it sounds like an excuse, and I have to admit I'm baffled.

If you've got some issues with wanting this site to keep pace with the industry why not come out and say it. If you won't, someone else will...it's only a matter of time.

CC

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"