Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Choice on bike will also depend on you height or inseam measurement. The Hawk/TT250/Enforcer with 21/18" wheels is tall and more for the 5'10" and taller. Storm and Magician with 19/17" wheels is more for the vertically challenged.
The Seat Concepts seat for the TT250 drops the seat height down to a manageable 32-33 inches. Plus, with rider sag setup properly, once the rider weight is on the bike, anybody with a 30" inseam should be able to comfortably put their feet on the ground, or at least get the front of both feet down. It bolts right up to all 3 of the 21/18 bikes Hawk/TT/Enforcer.

Weirdly, the Magician has the second highest seat height at 32 inches, while the specs for the Storm show it to be the ultimate bike for the short legged at just under 29". Personally, I would get a Storm over a Magician for multiple reasons, especially for off-road use.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #17

I'm 5'10 and cant put my feet flat on my Storm, I feel it would be real close to the same on the Hawk.

My question is do you feel comfortable putting it together, if not spend the extra on the CSC because they at least ship it complete with it packed properly and customer service to take care of the small problems that arise with shipping.

If your good with assembly save the cash and get it in a create...it seems to be the safest way to get an undamaged bike with the other dealers.

2017 Bashan Storm
Keihen PZ30 Pumper Carb,115 main jet,35 pilot jet, gutted factory exhaust, Sambo Digital Speedometer,LED blinkers, H4 headlight,D.I.D X-ring chain 428,17/42 sprockets,UNI cone filter.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBD View Post
I'm not sure if this is older or newer generation. What is the best way to tell?

http://www.saferwholesale.com/DF-250...-df-250rte.htm

I noticed that some of the older one's had rear drum brakes. And how bad are the older generation bikes? Do the rims fail frequently, do the engines tend to fail more frequently? I guess if I found an old gen I really liked for a good price, how strong would the recommendation be to not buy. I definitely don't want a lemon that doesn't run well or breaks down very easily. But if a rim failed, I could replace.
no matter who you buy from hope it goes well i found the worse one to be saferwholsale research the issues ,i had a hicup with txmotorsports ,but had my mco in 3 days an the bike in 7 days from the day i paid an they made one mistake right an refunded me for it ,they all have issues but not everyone has problems, get the hawk an make it what you want ,if your not very tall get the storm or the magiean

Old 06-16-2018, 11:50 PM   #19

I'm 5'10"

Hi everyone, thanks for helping here. I'm 5'10". The magician looks like a nice bike, but looks a little odd to me, I just kind of like the look of the csc tt250 or hawk better than the magician.

As far as working on the bike, I would not mind this, in fact I can to keep the bike indefinitely so I'd like to learn the machine very well. I haven't really worked on motorcycles, but I have a 1969 vw bus and every year I set the points (I know these bikes dont have points), time it with light adjust valves etc so I would enjoy learning the motor to work on it. I can weld but don't do it often, I've only rarely broken down an engine. I'm just mentioning these things to give you an idea of my overall skill level.

I think the csc is a nicer bike, but seems like the Hawk would do fine for me. Its about $800 less so it makes it an easier buy to justify as a fun purchase. So it seems like I'm leaning toward just buying a hawk. As far as the rack goes, after seeing the csc tt250 rack for sale on csc website, I am very confident I can put a rack on the hawk very easily. If I do I will post some pics or a video.

I know people have said to steer clear of the old generation bike also, but so far I have not totally ruled one out. In part, this is because I like the look of the enduro with the square headlight and older style console. I grew up as an 80's kid and the more aggressive angulated plastic headlight and fenders look a little too modern for my taste. The hawk /csc tt250 are starting to grow on me though.

The other reason I've thought about getting something like this (https://www.superiorpowersports.com/...50mc-rte-r.htm) is they are apparently getting a little harder to find and being phased out, at least it seems that way. So I think to myself, I should buy this cool looking bike while I still can? I don't mind taking a little calculated risk as far as quality goes. I would not be terribly upset if a rim failed or if grazed a tree and had to mend some plastic. I would just fix these things.

But I wouldn't want to buy a machine I could not find parts for to fix if needed, or buy something that despite maintaining, treating and tuning up properly just runs poorly or fails.

So in summary, it seems like I would probably buy a hawk and add the rack (due to being $800 less than the CSC tt250, but if I thought the old generation enduro would more than likely be reliable and finding parts was not an issue, I think I would go for that.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:09 PM   #20

Thumbs Up

If you truly want to get to know your bike then get the crate Hawk and start building that special understanding that only comes from wrenching on your own. I respect all riders but am admittedly biased when it comes to turn key jokers whose only mechanical connection to their rides is in fact turning the damn key.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-17-2018, 11:08 PM   #21

im 5'9" and hawk is fine for me. my heels not down at the red lights but most of the foot is.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 06-17-2018, 11:45 PM   #22

Tge TT250 literally bolts straight on to the Hawk. 4 bolts on the back come out, rack goes over the holes, rack bolts in place. Just need bolts for it.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #23

Im leaning toward just buying a hawk which has been suggested. Its find as is but if i decide to do some cosmetic stuff i have a few questions.

1) what is the function of the gas tank covers? Can the bike be used without them? Do they aid in air cooling at all or more just physicsl protection.

2) Has anyone switched out to round or square headlights. I see round universal type headlights 6 or 7” mentioned. Looks like a switch out would not be hard but I wasn’t sure if the wiring behind that plastic housing was needed to tuck/ protect wires etc.

3) are there any bike plastic kits you can modify to fit easily on the hawk.

I think lowering/cutting back the front fender, removing gas tank covers, placing vintage style round headlight, 1 or 2 round mirrors, and black tubular style rack would change the look quite a bit. Cost of those mods could be very low.

In summary is it a bad idea to switch out headlight to one with no housing (like magician). Or removing gas tank covers?

Old 06-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #24

[QUOTE=GaryBD;283666]Hi everyone, thanks for helping here. I'm 5'10". The magician looks like a nice bike,

After i bought the hawk i seen some nice videos on the magician an if you like to be flat footed ,that would be a good choice too,if your going to ride more on the street ,its better set up for the road ,an a bit of the off ,you may wan to wait for the DLX hawk comeing this year said to be more dual purpose bike ,with efi too

Old 06-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBD View Post
Im leaning toward just buying a hawk which has been suggested. Its find as is but if i decide to do some cosmetic stuff i have a few questions.

1) what is the function of the gas tank covers? Can the bike be used without them? Do they aid in air cooling at all or more just physicsl protection.

2) Has anyone switched out to round or square headlights. I see round universal type headlights 6 or 7” mentioned. Looks like a switch out would not be hard but I wasn’t sure if the wiring behind that plastic housing was needed to tuck/ protect wires etc.

3) are there any bike plastic kits you can modify to fit easily on the hawk.

I think lowering/cutting back the front fender, removing gas tank covers, placing vintage style round headlight, 1 or 2 round mirrors, and black tubular style rack would change the look quite a bit. Cost of those mods could be very low.

In summary is it a bad idea to switch out headlight to one with no housing (like magician). Or removing gas tank covers?
dont need the covers ,if you like your legs to hug the bike there kinda there for that, headlight stock
one works for me,other then replace with better bulb,seen a guy who cut the rear fender right out youtube video , stock mirrors work great for me but lots of guys replace them ,there is a rack that fits ,i think from like the storm 250,i see a few guys with no covers from dumping the bike ,but guess its fine without for them ,i like the bike covers,but i can see how they could break real easy when dirt bikeing with it or dumping it

Dont know about the plastics kits i would like to know if they have replacements for the 2 front ones though ,for me when my legs hug the bike they do seem to be in the right spot to feel like one with the bike ,but dont need to do it either ,i would think for most just for looks

Old 06-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #26

Thanks everyone for helping. I have a few questions about the magician.

1) is it the same engine as hawk? Same horsepower torque etc

2) can i just change a sprocket to get a higher top speed? (Related to question 1 im sure)

3) any easy fixes on that front fender to raise it? Am i the only one that thinks its odd looking?

Old 06-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #27

The magician has the same engine as the HAWK. But I think you will be happier with the HAWK. The hawk has a larger fuel tank. More off road friendly. Easier to find parts for the HAWK and lots of technical support here.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #28

Thanks everyone, I'm buying a Hawk.

Thanks everyone for the advice. And I really appreciate the CSC TT250 enthusiasm I think CSC is a great company.

I chose the Hawk because of owner support from other owners, parts easy to find, good reputation for reliability. Its also easier to get the wife on board for $1400. It looks easy to modify if I want.

I am buying from Q9Powersports

https://q9powersportsusa.com/collect...owersports-usa

Seems like they had good reviews on this site, lay away was available, and customer interaction was very good so far.

I will repost to let everyone know how the buying process goes ...

I still remain curious about this bike and others like it:
https://www.motobuys.com/fleetwood-2...ro-db07-k.html

Over the last few weeks, I've done a lot of "window shopping" on these bikes, and in part I didn't get this one because I didn't know what I would actually receive.
1) the engine is listed as a "229" but look substantially different from hawk
2) sometimes they list disk brake but have drum
3) they are mostly photo shopped as far as color goes
4) the specs are not correct frequently or questionable, for example the "hawk 4" from safer wholesale looks like a great deal but has a lower top speed around 55mph. The "lancer" from motobuys is something like 70+mph.
5) sometimes the pics have different rear view mirrors.

In short these bikes look nice. Its hard for me to commit to a buy if I don't actually know what I'm getting.

Still, if I had a few extra k and and extra garage space I might order one just to see what I get.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:17 AM   #29

It is hard to go wrong with a Hawk with this site and if you have the wrenching ability. It isn't a perfect bike, but it isn't hard to iron out the kinks and turn it into the perfect bike for you.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:23 AM   #30

Gary I noticed these things too when helping my dad get the Bashan Storm 250. Same as Fleetwood except smaller rims and street-type tires.

1) The engine is different. It's counterbalanced. Also seems to have some cooling fins at the bottom Hawks don't have.
2) Newer models have discs.
3) Yeah the pics suck on most sites.
4) Gearing. The Hawk has 15/50 sprockets whereas the Storm has 17/46. My hawk with a tuned carb and eBay exhaust does 62mph at 400 miles of break-in while the storm completely stock right after assembly did 58mph (GPS speedo because the stock one reads 6mph faster). That's me riding both at 265lbs. Ngk plugs.
5) Some of those pics where really, really old. I can say the storm came with the same mirrors as my hawk. Only difference is they're DOT stamped.

Congrats on the Hawk! That would be my pick if I did it all over again. The Storm is also a really good value. Probably wins on looks. Could use a little more travel in the rear suspension though.

Tags
250cc, dealers, enduro, hawk