Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2022, 05:03 PM   #1

CARB approved sites

Hey all,

I'm pretty new here but I recently got into bikes and since I live in California I've seen a lot of bikes that either say not CARB approved or don't list the information at all. Are there preferred verified online dealers that have a CARB-approved section on their sites?

Old 03-08-2022, 05:13 PM   #2

The easiest way to check would be through the EPA certifications. https://www.epa.gov/system/files/doc...6-present.xlsx
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #3

I was looking at EPA certification but it appears that CARB standards are different and more strict. I found a lot of bikes that are DOT & EPA compliant but not CARB approved

Old 03-08-2022, 05:58 PM   #4

If you look in the Sales Location column you will see if it's 49s or 50s approved. Some will state 49s+CA. If it's 49s then its not CA approved.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-08-2022, 08:19 PM   #5

Venom https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/ has a CARB section (https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...ed-motorcycles) and Powersportsmax.com mentions whether a bike is CARB legal or not.

Boom/Baodiao has several California CARB bikes (they are a manufacturer/distributor and don't sell bikes directly to consumers but Venom sells their bikes and a few are listed). They don't mention it on their site, but on the EPA/DOT spreadsheet, their models are listed as being '50 state' legal. The two dual-sports will be available in the next couple months. http://www.baodiaomt.com/MOTORCYCLE_SCOOTER_BIKE/

The CT70 clone is CARB legal and was distributed by Amigo Motorsports and sold as the 'Amigo Rocky 125'. https://www.bobcatsmotorsports.com/ sells them. https://www.bobcatsmotorsports.com/category_s/323.htm

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-14-2022, 09:04 PM   #6

Thanks a bunch! I was looking at Venoms CARB section but I'll check out the other links too

Old 03-15-2022, 01:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncorides View Post
Thanks a bunch! I was looking at Venoms CARB section but I'll check out the other links too
I forgot about Motobuys--they have a California section. Of interest on the very last page they show the Apollo 36 Deluxe dual-sport as being CARB-legal. I do know that Apollo did have this bike on the CARB list for street-legal bikes at one time, but not sure if Apollo ever had them available. But, Motobuys shows them as California, so there is a possibility, but I would move with caution if you are interested in it. You might be stuck with a pure dirt bike but Apollo already has a full-size dirt bike (the Apollo 36 off-road bike is CARB green-stickered).

https://motobuys.com/collections/california-legal

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-15-2022, 04:24 PM   #8

Take it from a CA guy who's been down this path numerous times with China bikes. Many sites twist the truth. They may say their bike is CARB Approved....but only for off road use, either red or green sticker, even if it's a fully lit enduro-style bike. I would suggest contacting the site directly and finding out if the bike can be plated for the street.
To the best of my knowledge, only the CSC bikes and the SSR XF250 are plateable for the street.
If that's changed, I'm unaware.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-15-2022, 07:15 PM   #9

Venom Motorsports emailed back and assured that all bikes in the CARB approved section are CA street legal. But I definitely understand what you're saying. Some sites have a CA legal section and then on the product page say not CARB approved; can get frustrating to find out what I can and can't own here

Old 03-15-2022, 11:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncorides View Post
Venom Motorsports emailed back and assured that all bikes in the CARB approved section are CA street legal. But I definitely understand what you're saying. Some sites have a CA legal section and then on the product page say not CARB approved; can get frustrating to find out what I can and can't own here
Good to know. It's very expensive to grease the palms of the Capitol here....and then go thru the approval process with CARB. Most pass.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Take it from a CA guy who's been down this path numerous times with China bikes. Many sites twist the truth. They may say their bike is CARB Approved....but only for off road use, either red or green sticker, even if it's a fully lit enduro-style bike. I would suggest contacting the site directly and finding out if the bike can be plated for the street.
To the best of my knowledge, only the CSC bikes and the SSR XF250 are plateable for the street.
If that's changed, I'm unaware.
The 2020 Apollo Deluxe (2020 model year only) was the one model year that the dual-sport was apparently CARB certified as a California-plateable bike. That being said, if you scroll down, you can no longer click on the link to the certification https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/new-vehicle-a...ay-motorcycles I am thinking that perhaps Motobuys has the 2020 model and they do call it the Deluxe with a 'C'. However, no member from California has ever mentioned owning one for the street.

There will be a Boom/Baodiao dual-sport or dual-sports (their site shows two models) that use the same 223 EFI engine as the cruiser and sport bike that Venom sells. They are apparently available in April according to Pete from Kronik Racing, and they are mentioned on their 2021 CARB certification https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default..._223_1d0_h.pdf

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-17-2022, 07:56 PM   #12

Yep, everything is going to have to be fuel injected from 2022 going forward, even for dirt/pit bikes. The Boom/Baodiao BD250-5, 6, & 7 are already out on Venom Motorsports, and I think the 2, 3, & 11 are coming soon. It looks like not a lot of bikes have been approved since July 1, 2021 for the 2022 model year

Old 03-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #13

They have a couple of the Boom/Baodiao bikes at Powersportsmax, but they have the 'Not legal in California' disclaimer by those bikes for some reason. Unless, and I have seen it on the EPA/DOT site where a bike has a dual-certification; both 49-state and a 50-state certificate for the feds (they do mention California bikes on the EPA/DOT site which seems to be for informational use). I don't recall how the 'Boom' bikes were listed (some bikes on the EPA/DOT site just show '50-state' for the bikes that are legal everywhere). Okay, just checked the EPA/DOT site and all their models are on one certification (they use the same EFI 223cc engine across all their bike-types) and they are certified as '50-state'. Maybe the Powersportsmax bikes are older models before they obtained '50-state' and CARB certification?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-19-2022, 01:10 AM   #14

Thanks for the investigation! To my understanding the laws changed, starting Jan 1, 2022 for model year 2022 going forward all bikes (both street and dirt) must have some form of fuel injection. So no carburated bikes may be sold in CA now, unless they are model year 2021 or earlier. If I understand it right you can still buy new carburated bikes like right now as long as the model year is before 2021. This was done so people who already own those bikes can still sell them on the used market and products they already paid thousands of $ for aren't illegal overnight. If someone knows better please correct me, ride safe y'all

Tags
california, carb, street legal