Coolster 3150 Dx2 vs TaoTao Bull

Thanks for this site, and an opportunity to question folks with experience

So the options I've narrowed it down to are:

https://www.wmsbrighton.com/product_...aoata-150d.htm
Newer ? TaoTao 150cc Bull

and the,

https://www.wmsbrighton.com/product_...er-3150dx2.htm
Coolster 3150 Dx2

Based on everything I've read (especially ckangaroo70, thanks!), videos I've watched, and dealers I've called and spoken with ... I get the sense that the coolsters are a little better built and more reliable. However, how much more ? I am not sure, if there is even an actual difference, as I havent been able to find a side by side comparison write up or video.

Some other comments I've heard are the new TaoTao Bull is automatic (vs the rhino) and that it is physically a little larger than the coolster, so a larger individual might feel more comfortable. Spec wise, if the sites have accurate numbers, the coolster appears shorter, longer, and narrower than the bull. But only by a few inches either way. So I'm not sure what kind of difference that really is.

I had the opportunity to locally sit on a coolster 3150. It felt pretty good to me. I would have liked it just a touch larger, maybe. But I dont think it was a deal breaker at all.

One dealer loves TaoTao (wholesale motorsports WMS). The other dealer loves coolster (killermotorsports KMS). WMS says taotao is a better fit for adults, and they feel they have no problem getting parts. KMS says getting parts for taotao can sometimes be iffy or slow compared to coolster, and that coolsters are a little better in terms of quality.

I haven't been able to gain any insight as to performance differences between the two.

I've called 5 dealer sites so far, but I like WMS and KMS most, so far based on my conversations with the reps, and the fact that I can get a physical address from the website I'm leaning most toward KMS at this point.

Sooo ... does anyone have any insight regarding a comparison of the above machines ? Quality ? Performance ? Feel for size ? Also what about the dealers ?

Thank you for any input !

Edit:
Just saw this post by MizzouFan
http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....6&postcount=12
That had a picture comparison of the rhino 250 vs the coolster. Are the rhino and the new bull same size does anyone know ? Based on site specs they are the same, but those I'm finding can vary widely from site to site.

Last edited by WarZ; 10-18-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:15 AM   #2

Call Alan at Excalibur Motorsports 1-800-936-4ATV or 909-591-8800

He is literally within 15 minutes of the Taotao So. Cal. warehouse, and knows a few of the guys there (they are headquartered in Dallas, but their Chino warehouse is bigger thanks to the L.A. area ports dropping all of Taotao's goods there first). If you purchase from Excalibur, Alan will back it up.

They show a few of the Taotao quads on their site, but anything Taotao shows on their U.S. site, Excalibur can get (i.e. the Rhino).

http://atv4usa.com/products.asp?cat=16

I believe Coolster is based in So. Cal., so ask Alan if he can get those. I know he won't be able to compare the two, but for someone whose main line of motorsports is TGB scooters from Taiwan, and him being more than happy to get out of the Chinese bike business once they picked up TGB, he has told me that Taotao has picked it up in the quality department the past few years. His opinion is based on warranty issues that come up, and he noticed that Taotao's quads' issues have been greatly reduced, so that should give you some thoughts from another distributor/dealer (they sell wholesale--TGB scooters mainly and any brands' motorsports, as well as retail--any brands' bikes)

Tell him Simon sent you

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-19-2016, 07:13 AM   #3

Keep in mind that WMS will try to push what he has assembled on his lot first.

I stopped by there. The taotao seemed pretty good. I would say about the same as the coolster. Height difference is in the springs. overall fit and finish on both are good.

I bought the coolsters (2) and am very happy with my purchase. I don't think either choice would be a bad one.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #4

I've been having the Coolster for about two years and all I have changed on it was the rear brake pads. Solid machine. We took a 26 mile trail ride this pass weekend. Very impressive for a 150cc.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #5

I have a Rhino. Nice quad....but the next one we get will be the Coolster. My local dealer, who sells both the Tao Tao and the Coolster says the Coolster is a (slightly) better built unit. Nicer welds, slightly better shocks, etc... How much of this is true, I don't know but since he sells both, I didn't see why he'd pull my chain unless he had an overstock of Coolsters.

Both the Bull and the Coolster run a GY6 150cc clone so my guess whould be that performance will be basically the same. The Coolster is longer but shorter than the Bull. My dealer told me that Tao Tao raised all their adult sized quads about 3 or so years ago, hence the height difference.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Coolster.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 10-19-2016, 06:32 PM   #6

The coolster is a nice unit. My boy has the 3150DX2. But fair warning the shocks are total garbage both front and back. My girls coolster 125cc has better shocks than the 150cc.

I honestly feel bad for my boy and the punishment he takes riding it. He's 9 y/o and 5 foot tall and say 75 pounds. If I knew which ebay shocks have a softer rate spring I'd buy them. But they really don't advertise the info in the listings.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #7

Mizzoufan, now you had the nice pics comparing the tao tao rhino and the coolster. From a stock standpoint, which unit did you like more ? Either one more reliable and/or comfortable than the other ? I know the taotao sits higher, but does it still have the same leg room as the coolster (i know they use similar if not same frames) ?

PM sent as well for more info

I'm basically pulling the trigger on buying a pair of atv's by the weekend I think.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:24 PM   #8

Tgb

Hello the dealer for TGB in Canada is getting out of the TGB IMPORTING them... they have crazy parts... CTC sold the atvs before they got out of it... I had to import from TAWANI the double cdi setup they use.. $$$$ over $250.00 usd to bring it in to sell to a repair shop the owner had 90 miles on it... he fixed it and sold it before something else when.... he suppies the parts to the USA warehouses... they do not have this part in stock.... this was 420 cc atv.. I prefer the TAOTAO more warehouses for parts 4 in the USA 2 IN Canada..... 2017 GVA BRANDS ( GIO ) IS GOING to be the supplier for TAOTAO at least in western Canada... GIO told me that... same motors ,, bigger atv.. I think nicer.. COOLSTER is hard to get parts in CANADA.... TGB makes KAWAKSI parts... the importer in CALGARY told me that... that is what I think

Old 10-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarZ View Post
Mizzoufan, now you had the nice pics comparing the tao tao rhino and the coolster. From a stock standpoint, which unit did you like more ? Either one more reliable and/or comfortable than the other ? I know the taotao sits higher, but does it still have the same leg room as the coolster (i know they use similar if not same frames) ?

I'm basically pulling the trigger on buying a pair of atv's by the weekend I think.
Check with Don 731-632-3222at APSCUSA.com. He has good prices on twin pack $2399.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-20-2016, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Check with Don 731-632-3222at APSCUSA.com. He has good prices on twin pack $2399.
Thank you for that info. Of all the dealers I have spoken with so far, Don is by far the most informative (and likable) guy I've talked with, by far. Excellent call.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarZ View Post

The Rhino for sure! I'm 6'1" and 265# and there is a difference between the two that I can feel in ergonomics. While not as cramped as say on my girls Coolster 3125 CX2 there is a difference from the 3150 DX2 to my Rhino.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #12

I still have my two Coolster 3150 DX-2's. Both have been very reliable. Like someone else already stated here...the rear pads are about all I have had to change as well. I am 6'2" and around 240lbs and the machine fits me just fine. There are things one can knock like the suspension being too stiff and the seat being too firm and not being able to ride some serious wheelies on demand ,but for a $1300 machine they have more then surpassed my expectations to perform mild duties on the trails and timber.