Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #1

I rode my RX-4 back from Azusa in a two day run Wed-Thu last week. When I spec'd the bike out, I put everything on it that was available. I'm very glad that I upgraded the seat, to the Seat Concepts version. I've had SC seats on other bikes and have never been disappointed. The Apollo heated grips were another upgrade that is worth its weight.

The bike ran fine during the trip, I put 390 miles on it, taking secondary highways back to Las Vegas. My other bike is a 317lb Honda CB300R. It took a minute getting used to the extra 100 plus pounds. I'm already planning a trip to Phoenix and Tucson for later this month, or the first of next month.

I don't intend to use this on the dirt that much, gravel or smooth dirt. I think this is the touring bike I've been looking for. My experience at CSC was great! Everybody is very helpful and friendly. I'd like to get a TT250 and a San Gabriel sometime.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:11 PM   #2

Just trying to keep the RX4 thread alive. I am in So Cal and there has been some rain and I have had some time in hospital, so not much riding. Now the weather is clear and I am feeling good and have almost 1000 miles on the RX4. It is a blast to ride, decent power and brakes combined with good on road manners. If it was 50 pounds lighter and had smoother delivery of power at the lower RPM range, it would be the unicorn we are all looking for. It really is a great bike for the money.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #3

Any issue or advice for running a new bike home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I rode my RX-4 back from Azusa in a two day run Wed-Thu last week. When I spec'd the bike out, I put everything on it that was available. I'm very glad that I upgraded the seat, to the Seat Concepts version. I've had SC seats on other bikes and have never been disappointed. The Apollo heated grips were another upgrade that is worth its weight.

The bike ran fine during the trip, I put 390 miles on it, taking secondary highways back to Las Vegas. My other bike is a 317lb Honda CB300R. It took a minute getting used to the extra 100 plus pounds. I'm already planning a trip to Phoenix and Tucson for later this month, or the first of next month.

I don't intend to use this on the dirt that much, gravel or smooth dirt. I think this is the touring bike I've been looking for. My experience at CSC was great! Everybody is very helpful and friendly. I'd like to get a TT250 and a San Gabriel sometime.
Hello,

While I am not quite ready to buy yet, I am thinking of doing what you did and pick up the bike in Azusa to ride home. My ride would be a bit longer; to Denver.

Do you think there is any issue with running a new bike for such a trip (1000 miles, lots of up and down altitude changes thru Utah, then the Continental Divide in Colorado)?

I know I would need to do an oil change half-way, but I would be stopping anyway for the night at close to 500 miles (I figure on 3 days of 325/day, so at the end of day 2 do an oil change).

Did CSC give you any advice?

Thanks,

Goob

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 04-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #4

Don't Sweat The Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goob View Post
Do you think there is any issue with running a new bike for such a trip (1000 miles, lots of up and down altitude changes thru Utah, then the Continental Divide in Colorado)?

I know I would need to do an oil change half-way, but I would be stopping anyway for the night at close to 500 miles (I figure on 3 days of 325/day, so at the end of day 2 do an oil change).
I wouldn't stress out too much about doing the oil change at 500 miles; I waited until I hit 750 on mine and it didn't harm the engine. I'm confidant that you can go the 1000 miles without doing an oil change until you get home. The important thing will be to avoid holding a constant throttle while heading back from CSC. The engine will need lots of acceleration and deceleration cycles, in order to wear in the rings properly, thus avoiding sealing issues that could lead to oil burning. You might want to consider planning your route with lots of two lane back roads, especially for the first 500 miles, in order to get a good engine break in. After those first 500 miles you should be good to hit the interstates for long stretches; though I would still be varying the throttle a lot, where traffic conditions allowed (slow down, then full throttle acceleration, roll off throttle for full engine braking, then back to cruising speed). With traffic being super light at the moment due to the pandemic shutdown, you probably won't have a better opportunity than now to do this.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #5

Goob, a 1000 mile break in ride should not be a problem if you follow the suggestions already mentioned. Just to be on the safe side, I'd carry a quart of 10W50 non synthetic oil. Check the level daily and add as necessary. You probably won't need more than a small amount but it's always better to have the oil than need it...only to find the stores closed.

Peter Y.