Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2011, 11:40 PM   #1

New ATV Need help

Hi guys, just got myself a couple of ATV's for a bit of fun.
would like to know what they are as the guy i got them from was not 100% sure. i think they are 150cc locin engine.

would like toknow how to start them.. they have a red button on the handelbar that can be pushed in and pushed left or right.. i belive they are electric start and also kick start but there appears to be only 1 leaver on the left side which i assume is to shift gears...

any help would be much appreciated.
Adam

Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #2

The switch you mention is likely used as the kill switch. It was a signal light switch, pushing it to either left or right will kill then engine or prevent it from running. You push it in to cancel the signal light, or in this case, allow the engine to run, though it is most likely not the starter switch.

Welcome to the forums

Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum Adam!

As your first photo indicates, the lever on the left side is a kickstart lever. The engine is a 150cc GY6, which is based on the old Honda Elite scooter of the eighties. No clutch, no gears.

As Jim says, push the red button in once and release, then hold the front brake lever (the one on the right) and press the start button (on the left control, below the red button). It should fire right up.

BTW, your front tires are on backwards on the yellow quad. Just swap them side for side.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #4

ok will give starting it a go when i get home..
the first image was one i found on the net to help with identification, the second image is actually one of the bikes..
the guy that sold us the bikes said they were 3 speed, would this be some sort of CVT gearbox???

sorry for all the questions but its new to me and this looked like the perfect place to join and get help from some nice people (unlike other forums)

Old 02-09-2011, 05:45 AM   #5

well i did as i was told and i get nothing :(
i pulled the plastics off and the fuel tank to have a look at what was going on.
The ignition coil was not bolted on and there were 2 green wires with ring terminals on (guess they are earths) so i bolted the ignition coil on allong with the 2 green wires and still get nothing.

then i found this

these wire go to a plug that is connected to the main part of the harness i guess they shouldn't be like this.. :roll:
am i missing something..

also cant kick start it as the gears on the kick start leaver inside are all worn.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsmc
the guy that sold us the bikes said they were 3 speed, would this be some sort of CVT gearbox???
If it's a GY6 (and I believe it is), that's simply a false statement on his part. Not really a big deal though, since the GY6 is a fun performer.

Quote:
sorry for all the questions but its new to me and this looked like the perfect place to join and get help from some nice people (unlike other forums)
You've found the right place. Please enjoy our little corner of space on the web, and stick around to be part of the community.

Back to the kill switch that Jim referenced: the switch was originally designed as a signal light switch for a street bike, and the operation was that you would activate the signals by either sliding the switch left or right, and then shut them off by pressing the switch in. When that was transferred to the atv, the signal light positions became two kill switch points, requiring that you then push the switch in to reset it for the next use (I can explain why that is if you need). It's actually a decent anti-theft feature if you choose to not reset the switch.

That whole setup is maddening to someone who doesn't understand it (ask me how I know ). It's likely that the PO got frustrated and blamed the switches and tried to bypass them. As a review, you need to have the main kill switch on (that one is obvious), the left handlebar kill switch reset, the key switch on (if applicable) and the brake lever pulled in order to activate the electric start. Expect that all four of these switches might have been needlessly tampered with.

I'd start by reconnecting those cut wires. A little time and patience will tell you where they go.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #7

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the purchase.

Weldandgrind is a wealth of information on here. A liitle patience and you'll get them running i am sure.

Am I the only one that saw tandam wheels on the yellow ATV? It was only after I took a second longer look that I realised it was the rear end of a second ATV.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #8

go to a auto parts store and get a pack for male and female bullet plugs.. find the plug those wires go to.. then look at the plug that plugs into the plug the wires where cut from.. find which wires those connected to when plugs in and then crimp the bullet connecters on to them and plug them in again..

Old 02-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #9

wow what a helpful bunch of people
lastnight i decided to check over everything and found a loose connection on the starter relay and the battery was low on charge. fixed these 2 things and the bike now turns over.
so after work i will probably pull the carb and give it a clean out, should i do anything else to the carb while its out?? i heard the auto choke is useless.

still dont know what the two wire that are crossed are but it turns over so i wont mess with them.. :wink:

Old 02-10-2011, 02:34 AM   #10

Those wires likely went to one of the kill switches. I'd try restoring them to the original locations.

Glad to hear it turns over!

I'd clean the carb and leave it at that for now. If the electric choke fails, you can get a replacement for cheap.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #11

Hi etsmc

Does the quad currently have an ignition switch? If not... that is most likely where those wires did go.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcycles
Hi etsmc

Does the quad currently have an ignition switch? If not... that is most likely where those wires did go.
do you mean like a key to turn it on and off?? if so no...

pulled the carb off tonight and took the float bowl off and it was full of silt, jets are blocked and the intake throat of the carb is full of blak gunk so a good clean out and i should have a running bike.. :twisted:

once it is running i will have to get on to the brakes. The front is really hard to pull the break leaver so will check the cables run free then check the drums..

Starting to get excited and cant wait to get it to the farm...

Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #13

I can offer some guidance on those items.

If the carb intake area is dirty, the air cleaner is likely not properly oiled. The filter is usually foam, and it might never have been oiled from the factory, and it can often be difficult to get at in a model like yours. Is your air filter located near the carb, or is it at the front of the quad, between the headlights?

The front brake cables use a splitter, and the cables have probably never been lubed. Get a cable luber (usually less than $10), and lube each section of both cables. It made a world of difference on ours, and it was brand new.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcycles
Hi etsmc

do you mean like a key to turn it on and off?? if so no...
Yes exactly.....

Ignition switch = Key Switch = Main Switch Assembly = Depending on the manufactures description.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #15

the air filter is an under the seat one so i have pulled that out and will clean that out at the same time.. got some air filter oil somewhere so will put that on it..
The break cables are 2 seperate ones connected to the break leaver, will silicone lube be good enough or would something graphite based be better you think??

It does not appear to have an ignition switch anywhere..