Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #1

Looking at the CSC TT250 with a question about weight capacity

Howdy all. First post here.

I'm looking into lightweight dual-sport bikes. I've been off-roading and overlanding in my heavily-modified 4-door Jeep Wrangler and am converting a 5x10 enclosed utility trailer into a camper/toy-hauler. But now I'm looking to add a bike to my outfit for some light off-roading (atv & single-track, mostly hard pack, some hills, mud, sand), local errands, maybe an occasional overland trip (which would include some highway segments).

The complication is that I'm 6'1" and 300 lbs. Although I am loosing weight (down from 350 so far), it's been slow going. Is the TT250 able to handle someone my size? I would have no problem jetting the carb and swapping gears and springs myself. I'm just worried that even with (reasonable) mods the Chinese engine won't be able to my butt up hills, through sand or mud, or on the highway at 65MPH. I read through the TT250 thread and don't see anyone in my weight class riding them.

I owned a Honda XL250 many years ago and loved the bike, but I was 100 lbs lighter then. More recently rode a KLR650. The KLR had plenty of power but was a little tall and heavy for me (I have a 30" inseam).

Is the TT250 going to be up to the task, or do I need to spend more than twice the price on something like a DR-Z400s?