Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2020, 02:31 AM   #1

2020 Magician

Just got my Magician today. Ordered it the 6th. Got a phone call on the 8th telling me it was shipped. Got a call from trucking company the 14th telling me it would be here between noon and 6 the 15th.
Driver called me an hour before he arrived.
The pallet itself had seen better days but the box and crate were fine.
What really surprised me is that there are no scratches on the bike other than some very faint marks on the actual frame. Look like it was done during assembly. Have to be a foot away to even see em. And I don't even care. The rest of it is unblemished.
Got it together, by myself, in about an hour.
Unfortunately, my helmet got delayed so didn't ride it yet.

Got it from txpowersports. 1368.99 shipped. That is just nuts to me. I literally spend more on Starbucks in a year than this whole bike cost.

I got red and blue loctite. Figure I'll red the stuff I won't pull off much and blue the stuff that comes off a lot.

Only complaint so far is the seat, but I knew that coming into it. That thing is hard and kind of sharp on the ol thighs. I also have the opposite problem as a lot of people. It's a little too tall for me. I tip toe on it. I must have the shortest legs ever. I'm 5 8 so I'm not THAT short. But my legs sure are.

Anyway, can't wait to ride it and start mods. Thinking about moving the foot pegs and controls a little more forward but I'll decide after riding it as is a bit.
(I'm a welder/fabricator)

Ok, enough rambling, here's some pics.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:42 AM   #2

Fresh bike!

Old 12-16-2020, 07:26 AM   #3

Nice! I can smell the fresh paint burning off the exhaust. Nothing like the smell of a new bike.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-16-2020, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Just got my Magician today. Ordered it the 6th. Got a phone call on the 8th telling me it was shipped. Got a call from trucking company the 14th telling me it would be here between noon and 6 the 15th.
Driver called me an hour before he arrived.
The pallet itself had seen better days but the box and crate were fine.
What really surprised me is that there are no scratches on the bike other than some very faint marks on the actual frame. Look like it was done during assembly. Have to be a foot away to even see em. And I don't even care. The rest of it is unblemished.
Got it together, by myself, in about an hour.
Unfortunately, my helmet got delayed so didn't ride it yet.

Got it from txpowersports. 1368.99 shipped. That is just nuts to me. I literally spend more on Starbucks in a year than this whole bike cost.

I got red and blue loctite. Figure I'll red the stuff I won't pull off much and blue the stuff that comes off a lot.

Only complaint so far is the seat, but I knew that coming into it. That thing is hard and kind of sharp on the ol thighs. I also have the opposite problem as a lot of people. It's a little too tall for me. I tip toe on it. I must have the shortest legs ever. I'm 5 8 so I'm not THAT short. But my legs sure are.

Anyway, can't wait to ride it and start mods. Thinking about moving the foot pegs and controls a little more forward but I'll decide after riding it as is a bit.
(I'm a welder/fabricator)

Ok, enough rambling, here's some pics.
I can tell you're a welder by the 4 Dewalt grinders in back all with different discs on them!

Very beautiful bike! I love the Magician in blue and green. Nice to see something other than basic black.

Make sure to spray brake clean and wipe down the brake rotors before you brake on it; otherwise that oil will cook into the pads and glaze them up, braking won't be for crap.

And in case you hadn't read it or known already, drain the "oil" and put good SF/SG grade non-energy conserving oil into it before you even start the engine.

Other than the loctite you mentioned, and adjusting literally everything, including the valves (they are often set to 0 lash, and need to be 0.05mm/0.002-0.003"), you should be good to go!

Old 12-16-2020, 10:13 AM   #5

Nice looking bike. That blue really pops against that black. Reminds us all of the day! I have one. You will like it, fun to ride!

Old 12-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #6

That is awesome! The tires look knobbier than my TBR7. Your packing box looks in better shape than mine, and doesn't appear to be any Chinese birthmarks. I just got my Magician today and haven't opened it yet, hopefully no "character" added to it.

Oh, you don't want to use red LocTite. That stuff is bad for motorcycles. And crank up the fork dust boots!

Have fun!

Old 12-17-2020, 12:11 AM   #7

Holy crap. The mco showed up today. I didn't even send off for it.

I started it up and drove it around the block. It is lean as all hell. I'm going to have to rejet it already. But surprisingly all the bolts were tight. I still loctited them though. But nothing was loose. Maybe they stepped up the build quality a little bit.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:54 AM   #8

Quote:

I started it up and drove it around the block. It is lean as all hell. I'm going to have to rejet it already. But surprisingly all the bolts were tight. I still loctited them though. But nothing was loose. Maybe they stepped up the build quality a little bit.
Congrats. Question, how did you determine it runs too lean?

Old 12-17-2020, 11:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSICKthirtysix View Post
Congrats. Question, how did you determine it runs too lean?

Adjusted idle all the way. Would only run on choke even after 10 minutes of idling.
Exhaust was glowing red.

I'll pop the carb off tomorrow, remove the tamper resistant cap and adjust the fuel to see how that does. Ordered some bigger jets just in case.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:34 AM   #10

Can you post pictures of the underside of the carb. I'd like to see if it's the same as my TBR7 or if it's the other kind with the different jets. I'm not even going to assemble my bike until I get the jets, and also there is a foot of snow outside so the motivation isn't there...

Also, you may want to entertain a larger front sprocket. It won't "creep" in first gear as well but can ride at a higher top speed with a lot less vibration. I'm about 7mi from work and it was just enough to make it a nice ride to and from. The chain should be big enough to accept it.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #11

Quote:

Most if not all of the critical bolts and fasteners on my 2020 Hawk were already red loctited from the factory... I definitely think they are trying harder.

Old 12-19-2020, 12:47 AM   #12

Pulled everything apart. Adjusted valves per specs and knocks like hell. So either I misplaced a zero somewhere lol or I did something wrong. Back apart she comes tomorrow.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Pulled everything apart. Adjusted valves per specs and knocks like hell. So either I misplaced a zero somewhere lol or I did something wrong. Back apart she comes tomorrow.
What did you set them to?

Spec is 0.05mm or 0.002". I set mine to about 0.003". tappety tappety happy. Not knocking or noisy, but you can hear them tapping, which is good.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Most common cause for extremely loud valve noises after setting valve lash is that the valve lash was not set on TDC of the compression stroke, but on TDC of the exhaust stroke. When on TDC of the exhaust stroke, the cam lobe is pushing on both valves, which is what causes the gap to be too wide when on TDC of the compression stroke. That too wide gap = loud.

The easiest way to find the correct TDC is to remove the spark plug and spin the motor over by hand slowly using the kick start lever, with the valve cover off. (easy way to ensure the motor is turning the right way). Once you see the intake valve rocker arm push the valve down and come back up, you are nearing the top of the compression stroke. Now you want to line up the T timing mark on the crank with the notch in the tip window. That is where you want to set the valve lash.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-20-2020, 02:49 AM   #15

That must be it. I readjusted and they were waaaaay off.
Like I could drive a truck through the gap.