Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #16

Got my bike yesterday and I am really pleased. Took the paperwork to DMV and was out the door with plate in hand in a few minutes with NO issues. Changed the oil and tightened up some bolts and was off and running. First impressions are good...fun ride!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #17

Congrats! The first things you want to change are the bolts on the front heat shield (by your right knee). Also, keep an eye on the bulbs (taillight bulb, license plate light bulb). I had issues with my last bike (although I did have long stretches where I did not need a new bulb), and have already changed the bulbs on this one. It seems to be due to vibrations. I greased up the speedo cable before installing it, but you should be able to take it off at the front wheel, pull out the wire, and spray it, and put it back on (shoving the wire back into place).

I would not attempt to change the rear sprocket, btw--have someone do it for you since I had some bolt issues taking the bolts off the 56 tooth sprocket (a few broke). I had a shop remove the broken ones, and bought some better quality bolts to install the 48 tooth sprocket.

Anyway--just keep checking the bolts and enjoy!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-29-2014, 11:18 PM   #18

Ok, why change the bolts on the heat shield? Which bolts should be checked regularly? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2014, 11:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCat View Post
Got my bike yesterday and I am really pleased. Took the paperwork to DMV and was out the door with plate in hand in a few minutes with NO issues. Changed the oil and tightened up some bolts and was off and running. First impressions are good...fun ride!

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-30-2014, 01:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Ok, why change the bolts on the heat shield? Which bolts should be checked regularly? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important. Thanks!
One of my heat shield bolts vibrated off about 14 miles into my 16 mile commute two weeks ago on my third ride to work. The other one was hanging off by a loose bolt. I went to True Value and got 2 equivalent hex screws and put some washers under them (and threadlocker) and no issues since.

I would also check the engine mounting bolts--had issues with my '09 bike losing those one at a time. In fact, I will be replacing those with high quality nuts and bolts just to be proactive, when I have time. I am guessing that Excalibur did a good job, but you should contact them, and see what nuts and bolts they recommend to double check periodically. The body screws are generally stout. Your chain will stretch, so you will need to tighten the chain tensioner nuts (don't over-tighten).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #21

Congrats. If it was me I would check bolts once a week until I was confident that they are not loosening up. The ones that come loose install thread locker on.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #22

I put thread lock on EVERYTHING!!!! lol My rear peg mount vibrated out on short ride, had to ziptie the peg till I got home, or it would block the kick stand and interfere with my left foot and shifting. Im buying stock in loctite.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #23

I had my first out of the neighborhood ride yesterday and it went well. I am still getting used to riding again after a long time of not. Just got a RAM gps mount for my Garmin Colorado 400c (with the road maps loaded) installed today but didn't have a chance to take it out for a spin. This will take the place of my speedo/odo and have gps capabilities as well. Going to be a nice weekend so I hope to get out. Just need to be careful as I do not have a full motorcycle license yet (just my permit). Once I feel more confident I will take the road test. Any tips on that for NY?

Old 06-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #24

How is the gps in full daylight? My phone gets a little hard to read. Forces me to use one program for day and another at night.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Just need to be careful as I do not have a full motorcycle license yet (just my permit). Once I feel more confident I will take the road test. Any tips on that for NY?
I recommend that you take a MSF course. Money well spent.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #26

I agree with Weld. I highly recommend the MSF riding course.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #27

+3 on the MSF. In Washington now, I believe that is the only option anyways for new riders.

Fine looking bike. I like the Honda type speedometer also. How does it compare to the GPS speed?

Old 06-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #28

X2 on the Honda style speedometer. It reminds me of the speedometer on my Honda XR650L.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #29

I thought the the speedo was in kph but it appears that it is indeed mph as it matched almost identically to the gps. I've never had issues with the gps in daylight when I used to use it with my boat (it's a Colorado 400c with coastal maps). I downloaded the street maps and it works great. I'm going to look into the MSF course...looks like they do it at the local college a few miles from my house. Just gotta set aside a weekend to actually do it. After completion I will get a waiver for the road test and have my full license as well as learn the basics that I am sure will be helpful. I'm not a complete noob at riding but I am of the opinion that you can always learn something new. $350 looks like the going rate for the course..does that sound right?

Old 06-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #30

$350 is totally fair.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer