Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #1

No spark

Hello Everyone i hope you can help me out with this. This is my first time doing something with an atv. I am mostly working on cars so this was something new to me. I picked up this atv for free with no information about it. I believe it to be a 50cc 4 stroke engine but i am not positive. owner gave it to me for free because he could not get it to start at all.

I ordered a wire harness off amazon this one to be exact: Link

I got It all hooked up and wired and nothing. I found out the chain connected from the starter to the flywheel where the stator sits in had fallen off. so i put it back on. After that the engine tries to start as i can hear the piston moving up and down the can see the flywheel moving. now with that i do not see any spark coming. I put the spark plug in the coil and set it on the cylinder head and nothing. Just want to know where i should start and how to go thru troubleshooting this.

The old hacked up wire harness has been removed and switched to the new one but i am keeping the old parts as spares for troubleshooting and such. Once i get some pictures of the quad with the new harness taken i will upload them. Most likely later today if i have the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0815201730.jpg (157 Bytes, 1099 views)
File Type: jpg 0815201731_HDR.jpg (157 Bytes, 1116 views)

Old 08-31-2020, 02:54 PM   #2

So this is going to be more of my log to list my order of doing things:
Pulled safety switch pin from the cdi and still no spark.
Since this is my first quad i ordered spare stator, cdi, spark plug and a new carb.
Running thru wiring of things that work:
Starter relay: works!
Starter: Works!
Stator: Unsure.
Coil: Unsure.
Key switch: Works!
starter button: Works!
Kill switch: Unsure.
Cdi: unsure.
Regulator: unsure.
Battery: Full charge when doing testing but needs a charge. Getting a charger this weekend
Its looking like a half and half switch between working and not. Once i get my new parts and have a day off i will be digging into the wire harness and looking at a basic wire diagram to trace wires and make sure it is all hooked up correctly. Hopefully everything will work out and i can get this bad boy going.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:07 PM   #3

Make sure the coil is properly hooked up/grounded, and that it has a nice, clean ground.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:51 PM   #4

ok. I will double check the ground on coil and make sure it is hooked in and grounded. Just going off what i see there is the ground cable coming off it witch is nice and snug in there. now the ground that comes off the negative cable i have hooked to the cover for the coil. Is that a good place or should i mount it to the body?

Old 09-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #5

Oh. I will have to double check my Handel bar kill switch. I took apart my wiring harness this morning and followed just a basoc wiring diagram for it I found online. Everything looks to be wired correctly so that is awesome to see. I did emd up finding a kill switch wire for the back of my atv. Looks to be one of the pull cords. Lucky one came with the atv when I got it so I am going to plug that in and see if that fixes the no spark.as well as that with my stator I can't seem to find any power it with checking it with a multimeter so that may be bad. I have one in the mail so I will have to switch it out as well. I am making progress here.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:40 PM   #6

Well after some basic troubleshooting i was able to find my no spark solution.The pick up on the stator ( the little black box that sits outside of the flywheel that tells the cdi to spark) Was just to far away from the flyweheel so it was not getting a reading to spark. One i moved it forward a little bit i had a strong spark and the engine is running. it does not run long due to a bad carb but i have that coming today so it will be good as new by tomorrow.