Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to DigitalRemix Send a message via Yahoo to DigitalRemix
TaoTao 250D Help

Hi,

I have a TaoTao 250D that we bought and its had its ups and downs, I've been researching alot and I'd like to know if changing the amount of teeth on the front sprocket would make a difference? Because our chain keeps popping off and It doesnt feel like it has alot of torque.... Im new to ATV's so please bear with me.... I'd like to know how I can get a little more power and fix the sprocket problem also.... Someone on another forum said that they used a 13 tooth sprocket but Im scared to buy one because I want to make sure its compatible with my ATV.... Also how many links on a new chain should I get for the new sprocket? 118 or 120? Thanks... :?

Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #2

Welcome. I don't really know your ATV, but others here have the same model.

Typically to get "more power" by changing sprockes you want to install a smaller front sprocket and/or a larger rear.

Chain problems are common. Usually from a worn out stock chain. The stock chains are not the best quality. Invest in a good name brand chain. Not sure what size sprocket it has on the front, but it feels to low takeoff then dropping 1-2 teeth should make a difference.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #3

if you can take the chain off and go take it to a motorcycle shop or a dealership that sells motorcycles or dirtbikes and atv's.. they will tell you exactly what size and how many links..

to measure the links here is what you do count the outter links, they are the ones that you see from the side that have the rivets in them... my chain had i think 52 or 53 outter links so i ordered a 110 link chain since you multiply the outter links by 2 i needed either a 104 - 106 link chain.. odds are your chain is a 428 but i wouldnt quote me on that.. the name brand quads like the blaster that are 200cc they come stock with 520 sized chain.. but since ur machine is a 250 thats why i dont know for sure what size it would be.. try taking the front sprocket cover off and cleaning the face of the sprocket.. might get lucky and find the size stamped on it.. also carefully check your stock chain for a master link..if there is one when you find it, it might have a set of numbers on it.. that should be the chain size. if its not there then as said above remove the chain and take it in to a shop where they can tell you what you need.. but dont buy from the shop if the chains are over priced.. my 110 link 428 D.I.D 100 link chain was like less then 25 bucks shipped on ebay.. larger sized chain are of course more expensive..

Old 04-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #4

Hey Remix,

I have the taotao 250d and replaced both the chain and front sprocket. If you are using the stock tire size, the 14 tooth sprocket was the best for me. It gave it some more torque and still kept the speed. I felt the 13 tooth lost to much speed.

I bought the sprocket and chain from http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/. The sprocket you will need will either be the JTF259.14T for 14 tooth and the JTF259.13T for the 13 tooth. If you go with the 14 tooth, I used a 118 link chain. Specifically this one: BikeMaster 428H X 118 KMC CHAIN.

Also, if you are looking for more power, an intake, exhaust and carb re-jet to suppport them made a difference.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc
Hey Remix,

I have the taotao 250d and replaced both the chain and front sprocket. If you are using the stock tire size, the 14 tooth sprocket was the best for me. It gave it some more torque and still kept the speed. I felt the 13 tooth lost to much speed.

I bought the sprocket and chain from http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/. The sprocket you will need will either be the JTF259.14T for 14 tooth and the JTF259.13T for the 13 tooth. If you go with the 14 tooth, I used a 118 link chain. Specifically this one: BikeMaster 428H X 118 KMC CHAIN.

Also, if you are looking for more power, an intake, exhaust and carb re-jet to suppport them made a difference.
Thanks so a 14 Tooth helped you out alot? Thanks for the website and model number, and where would I get an intake exhuast etc. to beef up my 250D? I just want everything to be compatible, make this thing a little more strong.... Also I have another problem when I'm riding the ATV, If I push down the throttle all the way down it goes slower then when it is in the middle? and thoughts Thanks!

Old 04-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #6

Also, Can you tell me where I can get rims and tires for this model I tried going to a local place that deal with ATV's but the guy didn't like the fact that I have a Chinese ATV so he wasn't very helpful ..... I just want to trick this thing out give it power and I wanna change those dull stock rims with some cool aftermarket ones

Thanks,

Old 04-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #7

idk about what wheels will fit, best thing to do is to get a digital caliper and measure the distance between the middle of the stud holes.. that will give you the stud distance and then its a matter of doing research to find some wheels that have that same measurement... it might take a awhile.. i opt'ed to just spray my wheels black and call it a day

Old 04-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #8

What type of carb do you have?

Like this. CV type.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARBU...#ht_3525wt_958

Or this slide type.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOLKT...#ht_1910wt_958

Sounds like you have a jetting issue.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
idk about what wheels will fit, best thing to do is to get a digital caliper and measure the distance between the middle of the stud holes.. that will give you the stud distance and then its a matter of doing research to find some wheels that have that same measurement... it might take a awhile.. i opt'ed to just spray my wheels black and call it a day
Thank you

Old 04-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
What type of carb do you have?

Like this. CV type.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARBU...#ht_3525wt_958

Or this slide type.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOLKT...#ht_1910wt_958

Sounds like you have a jetting issue.
Honestly I'm staring at both pics and I don't know lol! It looks like both of those carbs combined, Remember im still new to this sorry

Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #11

any rear rim that is a 4x110mm bolt pattern will work.. but as for as telling what the off set on the stock wheels are idk how to do that.. also please keep in mind that my quad is 99% exact same as a beast with a few very minor differences. so im not sure how youre quad compares to a beast..

here is all the info you would need to measure the front wheels bolt pattern and how to do it.... i would have measured the front bolt pattern but my rear wheels and axle are currently apart and the rear of the quads frame is on jack stands, so taking a front wheel off at this time is a no go..

http://www.mud-throwers.com/atv_wheel_chart

Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #12

When you say a Beast do you mean this model?
http://taotao.us/index.cfm/atvs/ata-250e/

My Model: http://taotao.us/index.cfm/atvs/ata-250d/

Old 04-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #13

ya pretty much its the first model.. but what you need to do is go to gio's website i think its www.giobikes.com and compare the gio beast 200cc quad to youre quad.. see if the swingarm is the same, rear axle setup, brake setup.. just compare youre quad to that one.. if it appears to share most of the same parts or has the exact same frame style then odds are most of the parts and information can go between models

Old 04-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
ya pretty much its the first model.. but what you need to do is go to gio's website i think its www.giobikes.com and compare the gio beast 200cc quad to youre quad.. see if the swingarm is the same, rear axle setup, brake setup.. just compare youre quad to that one.. if it appears to share most of the same parts or has the exact same frame style then odds are most of the parts and information can go between models
Hmm Its sorta similar but no quite what I'm looking for... by the way is gio chinese? because they look actually reliable and of better quality then the other chinese brands

Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #15

gio's stuff is better made and ya i think they are china quads and bikes..

i was in the same boat as you, my quad is a kayak kn200st2 i though i was screwed for replacement parts and upgrades untill i found this site and start comparing my quad to the beast and thats when i found it that my quad is the exact same as a gio beast