Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #1

TMEC issue i believe

Hey guys, having a slight issue with my TMEC 200. Ill be attaching photos of whats going on because ive no clue what the name of the part is.
There is a small metal tube on the right side of my cylinder that leads over to the left side to what looks similar to a mini carburetor, the original hose blew a hole in the side which caused the bike to sound much deeper and gives a crackle on the deceleration. But nothing else went wrong, all seems fine but i sure dont believe that tube would be there just for the heck of it.
So i went to a local hardware store, bought fuel line that was nice and thick and seemed good quality and replaced it, and barely a day later the same thing happened again.
Now i understand i probably just need better tubing that is more suited for such heat, but im really curious as to what that thing even does and if its worth my time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150910_210447.jpg (97.7 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 20150910_210419.jpg (91.2 KB, 181 views)

Old 09-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #2

It is a kind of smog pump. I was wondering what it was, too, when I went with the new TMEC since my old '09 did not have it. I had the hole blow through, bought a fuel line, blew it, and then got a hot water hose from the auto parts store which has worked for several months now. One member a year or so ago simply found an aluminum plate and covered up the place where the exhaust originates from (and removed the pump altogether).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-11-2015, 12:55 AM   #3

so its not to imperitive of a piece and i can leave it for the time being? also do you know the thread that had the plate cover, sounds like something id be interesting in doing.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #4

IIRC, it's designed to provide a blast of air to assist the catalytic converter. I'd promptly remove it, but that would mean fabricating a block-off plate, removing the catalytic converter and perhaps even changing the main jet to something a little larger. A slight increase in power might result, because the cat is quite restrictive.

I performed that very surgery on a 50cc China scooter, but I haven't encountered a dual sport with that setup yet.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #5

my roketa had all that stuff... removed the hose, welded shut the nipple on the head plate, and just recently cut the cat out of the exhaust.... bottom and midrange torque have noticably picked up since that....

Old 09-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #6

if anyone could provide maybe a few pictures on how to go about that and what exactly to do, id be very grateful. in the mean time im just going to deal with the small jet of exhaust blowing by my knees, and that beautiful crackle on decels. thanks for the info guys

Old 09-12-2015, 12:42 AM   #7

Why not hit the local auto parts store and get a hot water hose--mine's worked for several months now since the stock tubing blew out. I had to buy a foot of the tubing and it was under $2 for a foot of it from what I remember at O'Reilly's.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #8

I think this is the post I remember discussing blocking off the exhaust bypass (among several modifications to a TMEC)

http://chinariders.net/showthread.ph...highlight=tmec

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Last edited by culcune; 09-12-2015 at 12:45 AM. Reason: added the link!

Old 09-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #9

That's a helpful thread.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-18-2015, 12:52 AM   #10

Thanks a ton guys! ill be using that thread for future modifications as well

Tags
issue, tmec, tube