Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #1

Wow, New Hawk, Endless Hassle...

So I have been working on a jetting issue on my new Hawk 250 and think it is finally good, except... now I couldnt test it out fully since my tire went flat during my ride causing me to almost crash. So I got home and tried to fill it will air but it didnt fill. So I then tried to fill it with Fix-a-flat so I could desperately go back out to test my jetting but the fix-a-flat poured right out the sidewalls like a leaking dam.

What may this new issue be?? I have owned Japanese atvs and bikes my whole life and never had an issue with a tire not filling with air, and on top of that, having fix-a-flat pour out the sidewalls.

WHAT IS MY ISSUE HERE????

I am almost regretting this Hawk 250 purchase (from Txpowersports.com) as its been over a month now and its endless puzzles to figure out...

Last edited by HawkTwoFifty; 11-25-2017 at 10:42 PM.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:09 PM   #2

The Hawks tubes are not so great. I would go out and get a set of thicker tubes and replace both of them.

Once you get it sorted out, I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

My previous bikes were Japanese so I know the frustration. When I went to get back into riding I went to the Honda dealership and had sticker shock on the cost of a new Honda, nearly $6k. I got my hawk for $1,200 and it required tinkering. But once it was dialed in it proved to be quite a nice bike.

Good luck and hang in there.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
The Hawks tubes are not so great. I would go out and get a set of thicker tubes and replace both of them.

Once you get it sorted out, I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

My previous bikes were Japanese so I know the frustration. When I went to get back into riding I went to the Honda dealership and had sticker shock on the cost of a new Honda, nearly $6k. I got my hawk for $1,200 and it required tinkering. But once it was dialed in it proved to be quite a nice bike.

Good luck and hang in there.
Thank you pistolclass for your reply. Do you (or anyone else here) know of a link online where I can buy a decent replacement for these hawk tubes where I wont have this issue happen again?

I havent even put 13 miles on my hawk yet!!!!!! Are the inner tubes made out of paper?? What else should I be aware of going bad on this bike?

I am starting to regret buying this bike.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #4

If my tubes went bad after less than 13 miles, I think the manufacturer of the Hawk 250 should pay for this!!! This is ridiculous.

Does anyone have the contact info for the manufacturer of the Hawk? The manufacturer of the hawk is Haosen right? I bought this bike from TXpowersports, should I contact Haosen or TXpowersports with my complaint?

Very aggravated.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:15 PM   #5

I got my tubes from CycleGear. There is a local store here in CT that I just showed them my bike and they pulled them off the shelf. I'm sure I could have saved a couple of bucks by getting them online but I like to support my local store. Because they grabbed them off the shelf I don't remember the size. IT will be a matter of time before other folks here chime in with links to the proper tubes.

As for after purchase service, good luck. TXpowerports is not known for their service. The hassle of dealing with them is not worth the $20 for a tube.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:37 AM   #6

Tubes

I had the factory front tube come apart at 61 miles. Some people have mentioned that the factory Hawk tubes are made by the Chinese Condom Company!

I bought IRC heavy duty tubes from Amazon. I also replaced the rim strips because the rear rim strip had a tear in it from a spoke nipple. They are also made by IRC. Since I spend at least 50 percent of my Hawk time on paved roads, I switched out the knobby tires for Shinko 244s. I really like the 244s!

I understand about being frustrated with the lack of dealer support. I was ready to sell my Hawk and by a new Kawasaki KLX 250. Then I saw the price tag attached to that new KLX! Which is why I bought new tires, tubes and rim strips!

Like everyone else has said, once you get the bugs worked out, the Hawk is a nice little dual sport motorcycle.

Good luck & hang in there!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 11-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #7

Tubes are one of the many known weak points of these bikes from the factory. I had seemingly better luck than most and managed to get to about 1300 miles before my rear tube decided to die. The tubes are very thin and not made of the best rubber. Replace both and be happy. Get a good brand and replace both as suggested. They aren't an expensive thing to replace.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 11-26-2017, 09:12 PM   #8

if you have fixaflat comming out the sidewalls you got more problems than tubes!
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 11-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #9

I think they were: Front: 80/100 21 Rear: 110/100 18.

But of course cycle gear is out of stock: https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/msr-heavy-duty-tubes

Someone please confirm my sizes.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #10

I had very good luck with my original tubes. I put at least 600 miles on them. However, when I changed tires. The spoke rubber band strip was in bad shape. The ends of the spoke fittings were rubbing holes in the rubber rim strip and leaving marks on the thin tube.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkTwoFifty View Post
So I have been working on a jetting issue on my new Hawk 250 and think it is finally good, except... now I couldnt test it out fully since my tire went flat during my ride causing me to almost crash. So I got home and tried to fill it will air but it didnt fill. So I then tried to fill it with Fix-a-flat so I could desperately go back out to test my jetting but the fix-a-flat poured right out the sidewalls like a leaking dam.

What may this new issue be?? I have owned Japanese atvs and bikes my whole life and never had an issue with a tire not filling with air, and on top of that, having fix-a-flat pour out the sidewalls.

WHAT IS MY ISSUE HERE????

I am almost regretting this Hawk 250 purchase (from Txpowersports.com) as its been over a month now and its endless puzzles to figure out...
It does not surprise me that the tires leak. Tube type tires were never designed to hold air. China, and I suppose India are a little behind the curve in tire construction. All Japanese as well as all Western tires are sprayed on the inside with sealant because it is convenient to manufacture all tires on the same line. It costs heavy duty money to shut down a line in order to make just a batch of tube tires. So they run the tires all down the same line in order that there will be no screw-ups by having a tubeless tire get through uncoated. Liability, in other words. However, you are right to complain about the tubes. Like when the Japanese started making tubes, they are not very good. Amongst other places try Tire Barn, and Dennis Kirk. The correct tubes are sometimes marked; 2.75 - 21, and 4.00 - 18...ARH

Old 11-26-2017, 10:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictrek View Post
I had very good luck with my original tubes. I put at least 600 miles on them. However, when I changed tires. The spoke rubber band strip was in bad shape. The ends of the spoke fittings were rubbing holes in the rubber rim strip and leaving marks on the thin tube.
I must warn you about this! It means that the spoke threads are protuding through the nipples! Blow-outs possible. Check and adjust your spoke tension, then file the spoke ends so that they do not portrude through the nipples, then either put in new rim strips or use Gorilla Tape to cover the nipples...ARH

Old 11-27-2017, 04:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
I must warn you about this! It means that the spoke threads are protuding through the nipples! Blow-outs possible. Check and adjust your spoke tension, then file the spoke ends so that they do not portrude through the nipples, then either put in new rim strips or use Gorilla Tape to cover the nipples...ARH

ARH is right.... tape the rims...
All my rims get 3 layers of 32mm duct tape over the rubber rim strip..

theres a tape made by 3M that is getting quite a following to turn
spoked rims into tubeless.... can't remember what it's called..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 11-27-2017, 05:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
...theres a tape made by 3M that is getting quite a following to turn
spoked rims into tubeless.... can't remember what it's called...
Google results said
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3241577&rt=rud works in that job...

Old 11-27-2017, 07:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Google results said
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3241577&rt=rud works in that job...
That's the stuff When my stock tube had busted I looked into going tubeless and read up on the 3m tape. I had already ordered the tube but if it bust again I was going tubeless.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel