Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
I must warn you about this! It means that the spoke threads are protuding through the nipples! Blow-outs possible. Check and adjust your spoke tension, then file the spoke ends so that they do not portrude through the nipples, then either put in new rim strips or use Gorilla Tape to cover the nipples...ARH
I did go through the whole wheel and tighten down the spokes and installed a new rim strip. I was surprised how lucky I was.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictrek View Post
I did go through the whole wheel and tighten down the spokes and installed a new rim strip. I was surprised how lucky I was.
Did you file down the spoke ends where they were protruded?....ARH

Old 11-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #18

i got 2500 miles out of my front tube. it just started going down. hell i ride it without air most of the time. the rear hasnt given me any trouble so far. fixaflat didnt fix my front but it also didnt come out of the sidewalls.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 11-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #19

Thanks everyone for the help. So I am looking at IRC heavy duty tubes for my Hawk 250 in size 110/100-18 and see this size tube coming in stems varieties of "TR4" and "TR6". Which version do I buy??

I was looking at this one first having a TR4 stem:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/IRC-Heavy-D...pZcPT5&vxp=mtr

but then seen another with a TR6 stem.

Which do I buy?

And should I replace the tires as well? I dont want to ride several miles from my home now for fear of tires or tubes failing on me!! What do you guys recommend for reliability??

Thanks!!

Old 11-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
if you have fixaflat comming out the sidewalls you got more problems than tubes!
Thanks for the reply timcosby. Does this situation indicate that my tire AND tube is bad? The tire was so flat that I could stick my finger between the wheel and tire. So are my tires the issue as well as the tube??

Thanks.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #21

Also, do I need to buy that 3M tape (mentioned on the 1st page of this thread) to ensure my replacement tubes do not fail? Or can I just buy heavy duty tubes and be fine? How about tires? Should I change out the stock tires as well? I dont want to get stranded far from home because of cheap crappy tires and tubes.

I never expected this to ever possibly be an issue or concern!!

Old 11-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #22

Oh No

SIGH... just SIGH is how I am feeling right now...

Old 11-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #23

Hey HawkTwoFifty,
I didn’t have any problems with the tires themselves. Knobby tires on the street have a “loose” feel. The knobs flex when you lean into a turn. I went with a 50/50 Tire, but I could have gone with a 70/30 or even an 80/20. I like the feel of the Shinko 244s. I think they are a good compromise.

What kind of riding are you planning on doing? If you don’t mind the knobby, then just replace the tubes and rim strips and or tape.

Keep us posted,
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 11-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #24

My stock tires are great in the dirt, adequate on the pavement. They squirm on the blacktop above 35 mph .

Old 11-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #25

This forum is the reason to own the hawk. After purchase support is non existent from the sellers but unbelievable from this group. Hang in there and soon enough your friends will be buying Hawks based on the Hawks bang for the buck once the bugs are worked out of it.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:30 AM   #26

I have already used said 3m tape on my goldwing. It works very well for.going tubeless, but you have to make sure you clean the bejeezus out of the rim so it will seal properly. For insurance it is a good idea to stretch a rim strip or bicycle tube over it. It is also very unforgiving, once it touches, soyou have to get it right the first time.

Another use, if you dont trust the tubeless route is to still use it to seal the spokes while still running a tube. Good insurance against the rapid deflation typical of inner tube blow outs. This is what I did with my Hawk, and it worked perfectly when my rear tube went. Tire slowly lost air, and allowed me to catch it before it left me stranded.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 11-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbo7106 View Post
Hey HawkTwoFifty,
I didn’t have any problems with the tires themselves. Knobby tires on the street have a “loose” feel. The knobs flex when you lean into a turn. I went with a 50/50 Tire, but I could have gone with a 70/30 or even an 80/20. I like the feel of the Shinko 244s. I think they are a good compromise.

What kind of riding are you planning on doing? If you don’t mind the knobby, then just replace the tubes and rim strips and or tape.

Keep us posted,
Thanks Kirbo for your reply. I guess that I plan to do about 70% on road and 30% off road. But I do want to have the best of both worlds in one tire if possible.

If I get the Shinko 244, do I need to buy tubes for the Shinkos?

I just want a reliable tire (with or without tubes or tape etc) that will not leave me stranded far from home, while performing decent on both road and off-road.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 11-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #28

Don't worry about a tubeless tire just yet, that's over complicating things, and I can see is causing you to fret... Take a deep breath, and then, just get some tubes, don't worry about a tubeless conversion. You could probably just run the stock tires with new tubes. As everyone else has said, the stock tubes are crap anyway, it's not a fault of the actual bike itself. Be sure that there is a rim strip, make sure that spoke aren't protruding, check that the chain is tensioned and lubricated, check the oil (change it if you haven't already), tire pressure, and ride it.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Don't worry about a tubeless tire just yet, that's over complicating things, and I can see is causing you to fret... Take a deep breath, and then, just get some tubes, don't worry about a tubeless conversion. You could probably just run the stock tires with new tubes. As everyone else has said, the stock tubes are crap anyway, it's not a fault of the actual bike itself. Be sure that there is a rim strip, make sure that spoke aren't protruding, check that the chain is tensioned and lubricated, check the oil (change it if you haven't already), tire pressure, and ride it.
2X
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #30

Also, I wanted to add, what pressure were you running the tires at? Usually that (too low a pressure) is the first thing that causes tubes to fail.

That being said, these tubes are a known failure point. For a novice, particularly on the street, I'd run them at 25psi front, 30psi rear.

In addition, they weren't saying that the tires themselves are unsafe, just that they might not be airtight enough to run tubeless (which, again, I'd advise against, because it unnecessarily complicates things for now).