Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2022, 10:00 AM   #1

Is it normal to see some run-out in the rear sprocket while spinning the rear wheel??

When raising the rear wheel up to allow the rear tire to spin freely, is it common to see some slight, but noticeable run-out in one spot of a sprocket while spinning the wheel with the chain in place? If its not normal, can a tight chain cause this? My rear sprocket is new, and so is the chain which I have installed.

I happened to notice this strange occurrence on my Hawk 250 by accident while visually checking chain alignment after installing a new chain. An issue that I am having is that once adjusting the slack of the new chain perfectly with the axle bolts and chain adjusters lightly snug (to keep it set in place), every bit of this slack eventually disappears once tightening the axle bolt. So I keep having to readjust my chain slack over and over again and this is how I noticed some run-out in one location of my rear sprocket. Could this be due to a tight chain with no slack, or should I check something else? Before my next attempt at trying to solve my chain adjustment issue (for the 7th time now), I was curious if some sprocket run-out is normal or can be caused by a tight chain having little to no slack.

Thanks.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:33 AM   #2

I plan to put a dial indicator on the face of the rear sprocket while spinning it to measure how much run-out I am actually getting. Does anyone know the safe range for run-out on a rear sprocket? Thanks.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:45 PM   #3

One of the studs may not be installed properly. The studs have a flange with two flats and are designed to sit in a recess on the sprocket. Could be one of the flanges isn't sitting into the recess properly and is making the sprocket sit a little proud on that side.

On my bike the nuts on the studs were installed with red loctite from the factory, but I removed the sprocket to give them a once over to make sure they weren't binding in the bushings.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:39 AM   #4

My friend, you are making it 'way too hard. Watch this: