Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2022, 03:15 PM   #1

Kick starter question

So I was doing a little bit of easy riding for a few minutes and noticed that my kick starter lever kept swinging outward while riding. The kick starter bolt was tight and I see no way to tighten up the play in the kick starter to prevent it from swinging outward so freely. Has anyone else had this issue? My bike only has 14 miles on it, and I only recently tried using the kick starter due to a dead battery.

Anyways, while looking at it closely, I noticed about 3/16" of spline exposed behind the kick starter on the shaft which the kick starter mates to. Is it normal to see spline on the shaft behind the kick starter? When I loosened the kick starter bolt to try and push it back further onto the spline, it wont budge. So I took the kick starter completely off and when reinstalling it, it seems that it can only go so far due to a grove in the shaft spline to allow the kick starter bolt to install. Is this a defect, or it this normal? Does anyone else see about 3/16" of spline showing on the shaft behind their kick starter?

Also, before putting the kick starter back on, I didnt take note of how exactly the kick starter is supposed to be orientated on the shaft, and so I may have the kick starter incorrectly orientated on the shaft. When looking at my kick starter, it is orientated where the kick starter is straight up. I saw photos online which show this is the correct orientation, but then while watching a video of a popular Hawk 250 owner, his kick starter shows the kick starter level angled back a bit, rather than straight up.

So can anyone please tell me if they see about 3/16" of spline behind their kick starter on the shaft, and also it their kick starter is installed straight up or if its slightly angled rearward once in place?

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2022, 03:34 PM   #2

Not a Hawk expert, but--

Three different issues here.

1. The spline sticking out is normal. The bolt has to go thru that groove on the shaft, just like on shift levers.

2. Whether the lever is vertical or slightly back depends on whatever works for you. Set it up the way you want it.

3. If it is swinging out when you are riding, there might be a ball bearing missing. Often the way they design this is to have a ball bearing tensioned by a small internal coil spring that holds it in until you pull it outwards to kickstart the bike. Look to see if you have a hole somewhere at the bottom of the lever where it pivots outwards, where those parts should be. It should be on the part of the kickstarter lever that does not pivot. On the pivoting part will be a groove or two indents for the inboard and outboard positions.

Here's a pic to show you what I mean: https://steadfastcycles.com/products...1167-kickstart
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Last edited by TominMO; 07-15-2022 at 05:54 PM.

Old 07-15-2022, 04:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Not a Hawk expert, but--

Three different issues here.

1. The spline sticking out is normal. The bolt has to go thru that groove on the shaft, just like on shift levers.

2. Whether the lever is vertical or slightly back depends on whatever works for you. Set it up the way you want it.

3. If it is swinging out when you are riding, there might be a ball bearing missing. Often they way they design this is to have a ball bearing tensioned by a small internal coil spring that holds it in until you pull it outwards to kickstart the bike. Look to see if you have a hole somewhere at the bottom of the lever where it pivots outwards, where those parts should be. It should be on the part of the kickstarter lever that does not pivot. On the pivoting part will be a groove or two indents for the inboard and outboard positions.

Here's a pic to show you what I mean: https://steadfastcycles.com/products...1167-kickstart

GREAT info! Thank you very much!